Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Cages, stacking, etc.

In the past, I guess I made the mistake of getting CRW too small, and the tomatoes always outgrow them. I hear about plants getting ten feet and taller, but mine grow out the top, and trail back down again under their own weight.

I checked locally today and can't get CRW that would make 6 foot tall cages. I've heard very little about stacking. I'm going to re-vamp my system this year, building 54 new ones.

Has anyone here tried stacking cages? I thought about taking the ones I already have and putting one on top, overlapping about a foot where they join, to get a seven foot high cage, but am concerned as to how stable it would be.

Has anybody tried this? Is there a better method to get a seven or eight foot tall cage for the taller growing varieties?

Don
Looks like Fusion and JJ61 have me fixed up with plants and seeds this year. Planning to plant 27 varieties, to fill the 54 spaces. Two of each variety.
Old February 28, 2006   #2
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Don:
I thought about doing the same thing, but I only have a few exras to cut up for halves. I may try it anyway on a couple.
DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Don,

I have had good success with using 10 ft stakes and chicken wire. Cheaper than concrete wire.
Old February 28, 2006   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

But Tim, how do you get your hands in to tend and pick the tomatoes with chicken wire? I'm sure you can cut openings, but they always won't be at the right places, and the nightmare of crimping those small wire tangs to keep from cutting your arm.

More details?

Don
Old February 28, 2006   #5
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Stack the concrete cages ala Charles Wilber (How to Grow World Record Tomaotes). Overlap the cages and secure with wire.

See below for benign link.

farkee (MCP)

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #6
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Don,

Yes the chicken wire spaces are small, but when I need to pick a large tomato I just take some wire cutters and trim out a hole, very easy to do.. also the smaller holes stops many rodents and birds from getting in. I don't really "crimp" just cut at the junctures to make a larger hole and reach in.

As for the cutting myself, I have to admit that is a down side, no matter how careful I am, usually get small cuts on my hands once a week during the "picking season". But hey, I am really really cheap. And until I can find a cheap source for concrete wire, I am using the huge roll of Chicken Wire I have on hand.
Old March 1, 2006   #7
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

MsCowpea!

That's the guy I have been referring to! Great book! He's a master at a lot of things, it seems. His heartbeat just seems to be in touch with Mother Earth.

Twenty-seven feet tall plants! Hundreds of pounds of tomatoes each! Guiness book of world records! How can you top that!

Thanks so much for the link. I had never found him on the net before. So glad you posted this.

Friend Don
Old March 1, 2006   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

My word!

I just read the other things on that site, and it is an athiest/humanist site!

I just can't go for that.

Don
Old March 1, 2006   #9
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Here we are... WAY off topic again, but you're right Don. That is one whacked out web-site!
Miss_Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #10
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Actually found the site through GOOGLE. I was looking for the site linked below but thought the pictures on the other were much better. I looked at his home page hoping for more gardening stuff but I never scrolled down like Don did. GIven that this retired guy( who just happens to be a fan of Charles Wilber) is an aetheist and his links don't relate to gardening and would upset some people I am going to edit it out and substitute this one.

http://www.truehealth.org/tomatree.html

Don06, I agree that Charles Wilber and his methods are fantastic. His book and techniques are absolutely amazing. I bought 4 additional copies of that book and have given them to people who I know would appreciate the knowledge contained therein. My only wish is that I lived in an area that had kudzu (just kidding-I know it is the bane of the south) as that legume is the secret of his compost.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote