Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2017   #1501
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We had our FFD last night. It was mild. Only a little ice formed on the birds bath. Nothing died, tomatoes peppers basil all looked untouched. We have 4 months chance of grozt until about April 11.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #1502
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Brrr y'all up there. I hope you can keep safe and warm in this early winter weather.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #1503
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's beautiful outside for me right now, sunshine and 60 degrees all week long. We're only 10-15 degrees above normal, but what the averages don't say is that it is almost always cloudy and rainy this time of year if the temps are warm. A sunny day this time of year is usually in the low 40's. It is remarkable weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #1504
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sounds perfect, Cole.
We are having that same pattern you mentioned, that whenever it warms up it's raining - and really windy too. Was supposed to go to 9 C today that is getting close to 50 F, rain and southerly winds, while the typical daytime highs have been in the low 40's.
Looks like we may get our first snowfall tomorrow night, 2 cm that's all, but it won't go anywhere on Tuesday either the high of zero! And dipping to -6 (21 F) Tuesday night. I've been putting off that last bit of yard cleanup, but I guess I'd better get to it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #1505
imp
Tomatovillian™

70 F today, clear, low will be 46, 56 right now. Not windy anymore- was a bit over the earlier part of the week.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #1506
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cole and Bower, it's the complete opposite here. It's even warmer than where Imp is in Texas. It's T-shirt and shorts weather here with no rain in the forecast. It has actually been a while since we had a good rain. Which doesn't bother me because the last grass mowing was done back in October and we won't have to mow again until next late Spring.

The weather is acting like it did last year at this time. I hope it doesn't stay this way. We need a real Winter here big time. I was slapping mosquitoes and house flies down today, and the Asian lady beetles are out in force along with marmorated stink bugs.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2017   #1507
bower
Tomatovillian™

Two days ago we had about 5 cm of snow here, and all around me is still a winter wonderland, although a small bit melted yesterday and this morning it's being treated to drizzle and fog so starting to get spotty on the ground.
My mother dropped by yesterday and brought me a bag of onions. She wouldn't get out of the car because she didn't have boots on... No snow at her place and none left anywhere else except right around this area. Even all the pavement had melted on the street leading up to here, but on the gravel road and in the woods and my garden... it stays. My mom lives about 5 km away, and closer to the ocean. The difference in microclimate is pretty amazing.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2017   #1508
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Having a long run of early summer warmth, been great for the garden helped with increasing CO2 levels, the growth rate has been impressive. low 30C's in the few days

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2017   #1509
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

The weather here in Phoenix is just hitting the sweet spot. The high today was 80, and the low was about 50.. My tomato plants are loving it.
Old December 2, 2017   #1510
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

One or two more days of warm weather, and then it looks like winter will finally arrive. It was in the high 60's, sunny, and no wind today. I saw a guy mowing his yard, and kids fishing with their dad. Tomorrow I am planning to put some roof-coating on an old rental trailer. These are not things that typically happen in December where I live.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017   #1511
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Well and truly a early summer here this year, the warmth started in November and the last week has been around the 30Cdeg mark, garden is looking great. The waters in the Tasman sea between Australia and NZ are as much as 6Cdeg above normal

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017   #1512
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today's high set the record by one degree (84F). A cool front is about to come through with possible rain tonight and highs tomorrow in the 50s - lows in the mid-30s. In other words "Near normal weather" for us here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017   #1513
imp
Tomatovillian™

80's today, close to yours Salt, 68 now. Tomorrow is supposed to be rather warm, too. Not like the past few Decembers, but I sure will take it- saves on the bills!!!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017   #1514
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

rained all day here, and foggy. temps in the mid 40s.

not normal weather here in the U.P for december.

thats all changing over night. we are supposed to get snow over the next few days, 8 inches on the low end, 16 inches on the high end. snow amount varies depending on how the wind blows, and elevation. we are usually in the higher range.
tune in to john dee.com for the local forecast.

mt ripley ski hill opened this past saturday. one run only. they have snow machines to make snow. my son was on the slopes both days of the weekend. he went from novice to a level five out of six last year his first year of skiing. he had a good teacher.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2017   #1515
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Cold front coming in by 3 pm today with rain and temps dropping to the low 40's overnight. I finally received the tree ring I ordered 5 weeks ago for protection of the roots on the tree we planted. I put it around the trunk this mornig in hopes of getting some warmth trapped bfore the cold and rain comes. It will drop to the 50's before dark this evening.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; December 5, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote