Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 19, 2015   #1
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrator...do I need Excalibur

I brought a Nesco dehydrator last year because my budget wouldn't allow an Excalibur dehydrator. I was not happy with it. My herbs either took forever or "burned". It may have been the operator...lol...but I returned it. Maybe my expectations were too high for the budget model. My question for those who use an Excalibur, especially those who used another brand before, it is worth the money? is it faster, will dry fruits like apples, peaches, without taking days? There are so many Excalibur models out there now that I wouldn't know which one to "dream" about....

Last edited by birdermom; March 19, 2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: EXcalibur
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I had an "el cheapo" round model dehydrator, purchased at a garage sale. It took forever to dry things (days), and I had to keep rotating the 8 trays for even drying.

Last summer I bought an Excalibur with 8 trays (a thermostat and a fan). I LOVE it! It does everything well except some Lemon Balm leaves and Curly Kale which were too dry, but that was probably operator error.

The Excalibur did a great job of apples, onions, tomatoes, sweet potato chips, eggplant and zuchinni. Beet chips were not so good, but maybe I should have soaked them first, same as the sweet potatoes.

I am very happy with it and think it was money well spent.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #3
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Did you find that you needed or easily used 8 trays? I know they make different sizes.
Old March 19, 2015   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yes. I figure that if I'm going to go to all the trouble of preparing piles of tomatoes, apples, onions or sweet potatoes, my dehydrator might as well be loaded! Of course we can also mix and match veggies....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I bought a five tray but sometimes wish I had an eight tray model. If your budget allows for the larger one, go for it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #6
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

You pleased with yours also?
Old March 19, 2015   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
The Excalibur did a great job of apples, onions, tomatoes, sweet potato chips, eggplant and zuchinni.
What do you do with all of those dehydrated things? Do you snack on the apple ones like a potato chip?
Old March 19, 2015   #8
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrator...do I need ex

I had a Nesco, and liked it, until I wanted more capacity and got an Excalibur. It does a better job in less time than the Nesco. I don't think I've had anything I've tried take more than 24 hours, and that's some thickly sliced tomatoes. Herbs and leeks are done overnight, and that's at a low heat setting. By the way, the adjustable heat setting is one of the best features for getting great results. I didn't get the timer model, and don't miss it at all. If I ever want a timer I figure I can just pick one up at the hardware store.
By the way, I got a second one last year, to keep up with the harvest. I saved some bucks by getting a refurbished model, and it's every bit as good as the brand new one I already had. Now I don't know which is which.

Last edited by FarmerShawn; March 19, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #9
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Where did you get the refurbished one? I guess you could use a "plug in timer" if you wanted..
Old March 20, 2015   #10
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
Where did you get the refurbished one? I guess you could use a "plug in timer" if you wanted..

I got the refurb directly from Excalibur.
Old March 20, 2015   #11
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

There doesn't seem to be any on there at this time...
Old March 20, 2015   #12
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I'd keep watch. I assume the refurbished ones are mostly returns, and I expect this isn't their busy time. As business picks up, they likely will have more returns.
Old March 20, 2015   #13
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

They have some from a kitchen discount on amazon for a great price and say that excalibur has refurbished them....but I don't know if their warranty will be the same....have bought other refurbished, vitamix, etc, with no problem because they carried the manufacturer's warranty. I sent an email and will see. I would rather pay more and have the safety of the warranty. Do most of you have the economy model or the deluxe.....would the wattage relate to how "fast" it will dry?
Old March 20, 2015   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've got two of these:

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/s...xcalibur-3900b

Seems to be on special now, and comes with a couple of "extras" that I didn't get.
Old March 20, 2015   #15
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Keep going back and forth between the 5 and 9....seems most say go for the 9. You have two...wow...lots of dehydrating. It is just me and hubby and he doesn't go much for dried...doesn't care for fruit.