Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 24, 2009   #1
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cats and bean plants

Does anybody have an explanation of why my indoor cat has eaten 2 pinto bean and 1 kentucky wonder pole bean plants

Thanks,
Logan
Old March 24, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty_logan View Post
Does anybody have an explanation of why my indoor cat has eaten 2 pinto bean and 1 kentucky wonder pole bean plants

Thanks,
Logan
That's really simple! They do love veggies and most greens! You can use these ideas for your plants or seedlings: 1 2 3 4

Steel Wire, gauge 1/2 inch.

~* Robin
Old March 25, 2009   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Also if you supply kitty with some cat grass in a totally different area as well as a catnip plant that might help. I of course have only just thought about this myself after my cat went off on my tomatoes and pepper plants. kept waiting for her to get sick but she has not.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #4
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Robin and Kat.

My bean plants are getting their stems back after about a week.

The bean plants were on the first row of where we keep plants on the kitchen counter. She went over tomatoes and cucumbers to get the beans.

Logan
lefty_logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I always kept a pot of rye grass for our cat. It grows like crazy and Bob loved it. He'd get right up in the kitchen window sill and rub his face up in there and chomp away on it. I'd be happy to mail you some if you want to pm me your address. We use it for a cover crop on out fields in the winter and I've got tons (literally) of it.
Old March 26, 2009   #6
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the offer Barbee but I think we're going to get some cat nip or cat grass for her.

I woke up this morning and I found the holes in some cucumber leaves on the same windosil. Looks like they need to be kept outside now.
Old March 26, 2009   #7
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty_logan View Post
Thanks for the offer Barbee but I think we're going to get some cat nip or cat grass for her.

I woke up this morning and I found the holes in some cucumber leaves on the same windosil. Looks like they need to be kept outside now.
While you're there Logan; look for some Oat Grass, seeds or plant, my cats prefer that over the cat grass which is Wheat.

~* Robin
Old March 26, 2009   #8
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

I remember 1 year my wife wanted me to grow her some Zinnias. So I got a packet of seed showing some beautiful flowers & dutifully planted them. I had the seed flat in our upstairs bathroom, figuring the humidity & slightly greater warmth would be good for the seedlings. At that time we had an elderly Himalayan cat. She was missing quite a few teeth. Somehow she got up on the vanity & managed to behead the majority of my seedlings! We roar laughing remembering that. Of course, I just had to re-seed them. Now, she didn't get to the maters...otherwise she would have suffered the consequences!
Steve
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

Zinnias always came up so fast in Zone 4 and 5; I never had to sow them in a cell pack. I just planted them straight outside where I wanted them, after soaking the ground soil. I just pushed the arrow point down in the soil.
What a laugh about your ol' cat though!

I found out that I could use cloth type screening around my plant shelves, when germinating seeds in cell packs; I hold them closed with those squeeze type paper clips and remove them to water and such.

~* Robin