Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 20, 2016   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Yank or Spank?

This tomato plant looks pitiful and has been growing laterals str8 down for a few weeks, which I have clipped. The leaves feel wilted and leathery and it's not growing. Never had one look so bad, figure it's got to go. Think my beds are depleted. The rest look O.K., but weather has been cool and rainy. Has anyone had a mater do this before?

Got plenty of replacements, and thinking about stuffing a hybrid (this is an heirloom - black krim) in it's place. Going to fert big time this weekend, but the tomato crop isn't looking stellar this year.

weak tom.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input. I will cut into the stalk when I yank after work today.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think yank it, especially since you have replacements, but I wouldn't put the replacement where it is just in case there is something bad going on with the soil there. When they fail to thrive, usually they aren't worth the time and space to try to revive.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think yank it, especially since you have replacements, but I wouldn't put the replacement where it is just in case there is something bad going on with the soil there. When they fail to thrive, usually they aren't worth the time and space to try to revive.
thanks. was thinking maybe v. wilt or something and putting in a hybrid variety that had some resistance may be o.k. already have the cage and leaky hose & not much room. figure toss in a brandy boy and see if she swims.

side note: this particular bed was about 12 feet away from a bald cypress about 5 years ago. since I put in the garden the cypress has grown 40 feet tall and 30 feet wide and is now getting into this bed. I know it has been sucking the juice and will probably have to relocate w/ fresh dirt next year. I've never seen a cypress tree go nuts like that. it was maybe 12-15 ft tall, and then **WHAM** it is now approaching 40 ft.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote