Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 24, 2016   #1
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

Default Unusual berries

Does any of you have a suggestion of cool, unusual berries that fruit in their first year or in a few months ?
I've been looking a Luther Burbank's wonderberries (looks just like s.nigrum but Luther was a fascinating man !), Jaltomatas and dwarf tamarillos. Any other idea ?
Gazeofslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #2
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazeofslate View Post
Does any of you have a suggestion of cool, unusual berries that fruit in their first year or in a few months ?
I've been looking a Luther Burbank's wonderberries (looks just like s.nigrum but Luther was a fascinating man !), Jaltomatas and dwarf tamarillos. Any other idea ?
How about Garden Huckleberry? I grew some last year they are very prolific, I still have jars of jelly from last year.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

How about that orange version, orticoli? If you get them to germinate.. I tried twice, no avail... Wonderberry has germinated fine, however, and the berries were very tasty.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Wonderberries do not taste good at all to me, and they are invasive and self- seed well, unless that is a unique variety you mentioned there. I would not grow them myself.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #5
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing in containers so potentially invasive species would be a non-issue. As far as Garden Huckleberries are concerned, I've heard they were a bit bland compared to wonderberries.
Then again I've never grown or tasted either of these and reports on taste seem quite conflicting... Which is why I'm asking about berries in the first place ! I know these aren't going to be even close to blueberries for instance but I just have no patience for berries that grow on shrubs such as true huckleberries/gooseberries (Groseilles and Groseilles à maquereaux) or blueberries...
Old May 24, 2016   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazeofslate View Post
I'm growing in containers so potentially invasive species would be a non-issue. As far as Garden Huckleberries are concerned, I've heard they were a bit bland compared to wonderberries.
Then again I've never grown or tasted either of these and reports on taste seem quite conflicting... Which is why I'm asking about berries in the first place ! I know these aren't going to be even close to blueberries for instance but I just have no patience for berries that grow on shrubs such as true huckleberries/gooseberries (Groseilles and Groseilles à maquereaux) or blueberries...
Have to pick garden Huckleberries when they are ripe ( they turn from gloss purple to a flat purple/grey) they need to be cooked with lots of sugar.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Gazeofslate: If you get a couple of garden blueberry plants, don't they produce in their first year? It is possible to grow them in containers and get a good crop.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps Pineberries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineberry
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #9
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
Whoah what an interesting color ! I'm already growing some alpine strawberries in a container, I just repotted them because they're getting quite big. Haven't seen a single flower yet though.

The seeds took forever to sprout but the plant is looking healthy.

I'll probably try some garden huckleberry/wonderberry. Given they're solanaceaes/nightshades, I expect them to grow similarly to peppers or tomatoes. I tend to prefer solanaceaes, they're such interesting plants, lots of different edibles in this family. Well, you've got to be careful with ripeness and about which parts are edible because of alkaloids but they're also really pretty, they usually have nice flowers and interesting growing habits.

Anyways... Some nice suggestions. Did anyone of you grow Jaltomata in the past ? Any comment on growing habit/taste ?

The Morelle de Balbis looks like an interesting plant as well but I'm afraid it'd be too massive. And thorny. Looks like it's really a pretty plant though... The calyx makes me think of a physalis.
Old May 24, 2016   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Honey Berries? Never grown them, always curious.
Old May 24, 2016   #11
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Cool unusual berry? Probably cloudberry. Really hard to cultivate on any commercial scale much less get seeds to germinate.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #12
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Cool unusual berry? Probably cloudberry. Really hard to cultivate on any commercial scale much less get seeds to germinate.
Looks cool ! I wasn't aware that cloudberries were a thing. Seems like it's hard getting seeds for it though. And how do you know wether the plant is male or female ? I guess flowers are probably different looking... The fact that it's a perennial plant and frost hardy is pretty cool though.
Old May 31, 2016   #13
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Fuchsias. Hardly anyone knows they are edible, but if you get the right kind they can be quite tasty. Any variety can be eaten, but some can be peppery. I have had some that tasted just like concord grapes. Some produce small berries, some are large like a blueberry. Unfortunately, I lost all of mine due to a landscape re-do and have had to start over so I don't have any good varieties to name for you. The way I started my collection was by going to my local nursery, seeing which ones had berries (they don't all set fruit), and tasting one. Any that tasted good I purchased.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #14
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

I found a fuchsia berry on one of my plants this morning. This is what they look like when ripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160531_104942.jpg (30.8 KB, 80 views)

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #15
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ground cherries. A single plant will produce a lot of them, so it could be a good choice for containers.

But if it unusual that you want, try beetberries (a.k.a. strawberry spinach). Attractive & edible, but bland. The leaves are a vegetable too.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote