Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 14, 2019   #46
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
...Sorry, I do post a lot about life. Sometimes it's too much or too little, but it's life.

You are more than your tomatoes. We all are. And we value more about you than your tomatoes. Post away, for my money.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #47
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Nan, I see it that way too.

It's been difficult to think about planting/starting pepper seeds with all that has been going on, but I will get them started tomorrow. It's kind of funny in-a-way, because for months I've been thinking I need to start the pepper seeds around January 15th, and tomorrow is 1-15-19.

There was no news about my mother-in-law today, so I'm thinking that could be good news. She is in a hospital 50 miles away (Right beside mine and Jan's doctor's building/office) We can't go see her because of our car turning into a money pit.

I wrote more, but this is the peppers section. I'm hoping to add more pepper related things in days to come. I'll start a different thread in the 2 cents section about the car and other stuff.

Let's grow some peppers.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #48
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I got the first batch started:

Alma Paprika
Fooled You Jalapeno
Fort Knox Hybrid
Jimmy Nardello
Nadapeno Jalapeno
Pretty N Sweet

I'll know which ones sprouted by the time I start tomato seeds. There might be some replacements if need be or more added just because.
Old January 26, 2019   #49
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nadapeno has it's cotyledons, and so does Pretty N Sweet. The rest may need a heat mat? I put up the lights today. My short term memory is getting worse, but getting the plants started seems like ingrained knowledge.
Old January 26, 2019   #50
PlainJane

Quote:
Nadapeno has it's cotyledons, and so does Pretty N Sweet. The rest may need a heat mat? I put up the lights today. My short term memory is getting worse, but getting the plants started seems like ingrained knowledge.
Stress will do bad things to short term memory. Glad you have action on a couple of peppers.
How is your MIL and the car situation?
Old January 26, 2019   #51
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The car needs a front end alignment after replacing the rack and pinion. It doesn't pull to one side or anything, but a front end alignment is the smart thing to do.

My MIL went home ... and that's about all we know. I know that sounds cold, but that's just the way my wife's family is. (My wife is thought of as the black sheep of the family because we own our home, land, car, and have been together for 34 years.) The rest of her family can't say any of the above.

Jimmy Nardello and Fooled You are starting to peek out of the starting mix today
Old January 26, 2019   #52
PlainJane

Quote:
The car needs a front end alignment after replacing the rack and pinion. It doesn't pull to one side or anything, but a front end alignment is the smart thing to do.

My MIL went home ... and that's about all we know. I know that sounds cold, but that's just the way my wife's family is. (My wife is thought of as the black sheep of the family because we own our home, land, car, and have been together for 34 years.) The rest of her family can't say any of the above.

Jimmy Nardello and Fooled You are starting to peek out of the starting mix today
Well, I’m glad she’s home.
I applaud you and your wife reaching an awesome 34 years together. Fabulous.
At least the alignment isn’t in the category of ‘must do right now’ car repairs.
Tomatoes are starting to pop but I don’t have any peppers showing yet.
Old January 31, 2019   #53
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The new pepper seeds are doing well. Nadapeno is stealing the show. Pretty N sweet is doing well, and Fooled you is doing okay - I think it needs more water than the others. Alma and Fort Knox are no shows. That's why there are other sources locally to choose from.
Old February 3, 2019   #54
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have never started my own peppers before but I am hoping to try this year. I bought seeds in the last couple of years but never started them. Do you know how long pepper seeds are good?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2019   #55
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

2 years is what many sites say. 10 years are the oldest ones I have grown.

The Alma seeds are coming up
Old February 5, 2019   #56
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Some of the pepper plants have their first true leaves. It's exciting no matter how many times you have seen it before.
Old February 5, 2019   #57
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #58
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I have never started my own peppers before but I am hoping to try this year. I bought seeds in the last couple of years but never started them. Do you know how long pepper seeds are good?
Quote:
2 years is what many sites say. 10 years are the oldest ones I have grown.

The Alma seeds are coming up
Quote:
Some of the pepper plants have their first true leaves. It's exciting no matter how many times you have seen it before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Thanks!
I've been thinking about this for long time. "How can I help out in Tomatoville when we all live so far apart?" In this case, you are in CT and I'm in Texas. So what can I do to give you hope? Be myself. I hope you don't mind.

Start your pepper seeds in starting mix like Jiffy Mix. Get the starting mix sifted by hand or however you see fit to get rid of small sticks. Put it in a large bowl and mix in some warm/hot water. The consistency - it's difficult for me to explain - I just naturally know what it feels right - like the mix you start tomato seeds in - emphasis on warm. Keep them warm 70F to 85F.
Old February 5, 2019   #59
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Leave the peppers to us folks in the south and just grow rutabagas.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #60
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth has a blunt way of putting things, but here's the data:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...ed-states/3176

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...ed-states/3213

In Texas, there are 4 more months of growing time for pepper plants. I still believe it is possible in CT.