Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2007   #1
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Default Aerogarden Any Opinions

I've been looking at these Aerogardens. I will miss having tomatoes very soon and thought this may be an option to grow tomatoes indoors. My house is dark inside. I have huge trees around my house that keep the light out. I've also thought about putting up a small green house, but that's another subject.

So, I'm just looking for opinions or options.
THANKS!
Old August 30, 2007   #2
arvisp
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried it, but would say it is a waste of money. The indoor "Mary-Jane" growers pioneered this type of gardening. I am sure you could pick up the components and do much better yourself. And growing tomatoes the law wouldnt be be stalking you!! Just a thought.
arvisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

babylark, this type of system is geared more for herb and lettuce and other small plants. If you tried tomatoes you would most likely end up disappointed. Have you thought about a surrogate garden. Maybe somebody has a garden they are no longer using or there is a community garden plot somewhere. I know some folks here at Tville have them and I have one at work as well. Ami
Old August 30, 2007   #4
relichound
Tomatovillian™

I agree with amideutch. I would have to shy away from the areogarden. I play around with hydroponics a little and mostly build my own systems. If you want a system for only one plant I would go with the waterfarm by general hydroponics. It will be a lot less expensive. I have used this item in the past with great results. You will need to have a good lighting system though. Heres a link if you would like to get some info on the waterfarm. http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/waterfarm.html
relichound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

babylark, relichound's suggestion is a good one. Here's a link to CropKing that carries it. I've dealt with them before and they are top notch.
http://carefreegarden.com/htmlos/013...97943950621995
Now the other item your going to need is a growlight. I think ebay might be the route to go for that. If I get a chance I will check them out and see if they have anything suitable at an affordable price. Here at home I have a 1000 watt halide. You don't need anything that big. Ami
Heres a 200 watt flourescent with reflector that should do the trick with 1 plant. Don't have to worry about the heat that sodiums and halides put out and reasonably priced.
http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Watt-FLUORES...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by amideutch; August 30, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #6
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. I have a big enough garden during the outdoor growing season, I just thought about those horrible tomatoes I have to buy in the off season! I will look into it for an indoor herb growing though...Something to do with all my spare time!
Old September 15, 2019   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Old thread. Aerogardens have led lights now.

I had spider mite problems and aphids indoors last winter which was terrible. I am thinking of buying an aerogarden to grow greens and herbs. I've been watching the prices, but I'm hoping for even better deals on Black Friday.

In advance of a possible purchase, I am looking for more recent opinions

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019   #8
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

You can grow organic salad greens cheaper than you can buy them, I grow indoors every winter and it works great for us. I use 3 LED lights and grow a huge amount of lettuce all winter long,and this year I'm planning on having it automatically watered as well,by using a irrometer to control an irrigation valve that will automatically turn on the drip system.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Bought one and ended up giving it to the Good Will.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019   #10
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

A shop lite from home depot, a good pot and some plants or seeds will do more for you than I think that would. I have looked at them many times, since winter gets pretty long here, too. This was my solution:

Herb Garden by Susan Albetski, on Flickr

The pot is a long narrow plastic pot like you hang outside a window, the black cords you see are the levers that raise and lower the shop lite. They are available on Amazon. There happens to be a window there but winter in Connecticut is just not sunny enough to support this kind of growth. Since I can raise tomato seedlings under one of these lights, the herbs were not problem. I don't know about actually getting enough light to support fruit but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by SueCT; September 16, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2019   #11
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

You can grow tomatoes indoors, but you will need approximately 50 watts per sq.ft. could get by with less if using LEDs ,I've grown almost a 4 lb tomato indoors with 250 watts of LEDs for 8 square feet of growing area. Make sure that you use a non soil potting mix,don't even think about using homemade compost or garden soil,you will have all kinds of problems .lol.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2019   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Bought one and ended up giving it to the Good Will.

Were these the newer models gg? I see them in Goodwill all the time lol.

I sold two of the old style with the expensive bulbs for $20, and one was never opened. The new design uses LEDs which are inexpensive to run, and the growing process is supposed to be faster than traditional soil plant growing.

Sue your photo is very inspiring, and it made quite and impression on me when it was first posted. Last winter I battled a variety of pests in the dry environment indoors. Maybe a water based system will help keep the unwanted guests at bay. My priority would be herbs and then decide if worth it to invest in another for greens.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019   #13
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I have two AeroGarden Extra LED I use for basil and lettuce indoor. After 2 years the capacitors for LED powersupply failed and the lights started strobing, so I had to solder in new ones.

I have one of these Root Farm 45w LED panel for seeds starting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SG33M2
It's adequate for growing micros. I guess Aerogarden licensed them and sell the same thing with their logo for higher price. I really like these panels because they're full spectrum.

But it's more cost effective to get one of those UFO LED lights, there's lots of them to choose from on Amazon. Probably better to get standard white light version than the grow light version that's all pink if you don't want cops busting through your doors.

Last edited by maxjohnson; September 18, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019   #14
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I got a second one several months ago, and love the seed starting tray for starting hard to germinate and slow to start seedlings. I use the smaller one for herbs in the winter. The bright light and soft sound of the pump that comes on intermittently in the higher end model drives my husband batty..
I also have a large three level light stand in my garage where I put things when I move them from seed starting set ups, and the weather is not quite right outside.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; September 18, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Like Buscuitridge, I grow year round. 365 indoors. One 35$ 4ft LED stoplight is all that is needed.
9 or 12 inch deep shelf.
I am familiar with the product but the expense is unnecessary. I do get the charm of having a
pretty green mini forest of herbs and salad but it only will give a random pinch here and there.
Nice and compact in the kitchen if you have the space.

For the expense, you could get a dozen pounds of seed and soiless mix for an entire winter or
more.
I'm testing this year many head lettuces and started some Thai basil that is doing great.
I often get so much harvest I need to bag it. (prefer fresh clipped).
Tomatoes to fruit need a bit more attention. I grow micros but I have a very sunny South window.

Pest management is not that difficult with a few simple methods to monitor their breeding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter salad.jpg (168.3 KB, 59 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote