Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 29, 2013   #1
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Help converting patio to Greenhouse/Sunroom

If an existing thread can answer my questions, please point me to it. If not,.... Help.

I have a south-facing 13' x 33' patio that is under a covered deck with 9 1/2' clearance from patio to the deck. I am planning on enclosing the patio and using it for a greenhouse to extend the season and possibly use year-round. I am on a corner lot, so it is visible from the road. Therefore, I can't make it just functional, it has to look nice.

I know I will end up spending quite a bit, so I want to make sure I do it right. My questions:
  • There are a whole lot of companies that make sunrooms, enclosures and kits to build sunrooms. Is there a difference in the glass I want for greenhouse from the glass they make the sunroom kits out of?
  • I have natural gas piped to the patio, so heating will not be a problem if I decide to use it in the winter. To use it year-round will I need to supplement lighting or just maintain temperature? (I am in northern Utah - 5280' elevation - 41 degrees latitude)
  • Does the glass that keeps the sunroom cooler in the summer cause any issues when trying to grow plants (this is perhaps the same as the first question)
  • Trade-offs between the cost of better insulated glass panels and heating costs in the winter. (I can probably do the analysis, but experience is valuable, so are recommendation).
  • What are the main "Gotchas" I need to watch out for?

I'm sure there will be other concerns, but I need to know the above to start planning and budgeting.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Tville is quite a place. I've spent quite a few pleasant evenings recently wandering about the place. Wish I had found it years ago.

Dan
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote