Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old February 25, 2018   #16
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I started some from seed this year, Banana Shallot, as well as a few merchant sourced. I seem to recall that the last time I planted shallots from seeds, years ago they did multiply. We'll see..that's what makes gardening fun.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I read elsewhere that someone had been replanting the bulbs of shallots grown from seed for a number of years and they performed like a regular shallot, dividing. If they put up a seed stalk the advice is to clip it to push them into the 'divide and conquer' cycle.

All of the hybrid from-seed shallots appear to be shallot X onion hybrids. So there is more uncertainty when growing out the seed of a possible hybrid, as I'm doing, than there is from replanting hybrid bulbs. But as Alex says, that's what makes gardening fun.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #18
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I did a little research, the Shallots I bought they look like Zebrune (banana shallot). A couple websites say they multiply... 3-5 per bulb, others say they are grown from seed. But no one has Zebrune sets for sale, only seed. I’m guessing when I plant these, they will go to seed, instead of multiply. Film at 11...
It could still be a shallot and not Zebrune even if the shape is like that. Zebrune, after much research I did seems to be 100% onion (not a hybrid as some say).
The fully round shape is given by the fact that they are grown from seed (there is also seed for shallot).
What I find odd is that people say onions don't multiply, and that is the opposite of what I always thought. Missed onions on the field often used to grow fast in the spring and multiply (4-5) and we used them as green onions (in my grandmother's garden). They were from what I remember the red onions, not sure if the white ones did or not.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #19
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
It could still be a shallot and not Zebrune even if the shape is like that. Zebrune, after much research I did seems to be 100% onion (not a hybrid as some say).
The fully round shape is given by the fact that they are grown from seed (there is also seed for shallot).
What I find odd is that people say onions don't multiply, and that is the opposite of what I always thought. Missed onions on the field often used to grow fast in the spring and multiply (4-5) and we used them as green onions (in my grandmother's garden). They were from what I remember the red onions, not sure if the white ones did or not.
You are right. Onions do multiply sometimes. For some reason I find that really cool. In fact I've got some leftover 2017 onions in my garden now. I'm hoping I'll get babies.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #20
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

There are at least two multiplying types of onions that I am aware of. The potato onion and the Egyptian walking onion.

https://www.southernexposure.com/yel...-oz-p-873.html

http://www.territorialseed.com/produ...-shallot-bulbs

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #21
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I just bought a couple of bags of small onions, a mighty $1 per mesh bag, I am going to plant them out soon to be used as green onions.
Years ago in Northern China, we used to plant shallots every spring, the same time when we plant garlic, our winters were very cold (-30 C ish), they would grow and split into about 5 bulbs. We would pull out a bulb with its greens per plant to use as green onions first, then the rest for storage when they fully mature.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #22
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I just got 2- 1lb sacks of ginger for $4... a little dried up to eat, but it is starting to sprout. Anybody grow Ginger?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I once grew a ginger plant in a 4 inch pot indoors - that was from a sprouty bit from the grocery store. I think they're easy to grow from sprouty roots. I think Worth may have grown it outdoors.. another friend of mine grew it in Hawaii. I'm not sure how long a season it takes to get a good crop though, but too long for us here really.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ginger is easy to coax into a pot but Mary Ann is a little feisty about it and takes work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Louise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Wells
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote