Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 10, 2018   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Cutting Scapes?

When and should I cut the scapes on my garlic plants? Is this a required procedure?
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

it is not required but many people think it results in larger bulbs at harvest, as the plant directs more of its energy into growing the bulb instead of producing flowers and seeds.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It is optional. We love garlic scape pesto, so for me they are a bonus for growing hardneck garlic.

You want to snap them off when they've formed at least one loop and before they start straightening back up.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #4
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

For the second year in a row, plants that we left scapes on had bulbs 50 percent smaller than plants of equal size with scapes removed.
I took mine of when they emerged and up to the first bend.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My garlic normally is unharvested and grows leaves. I sometimes use the leaves. It's some small garlic DH bought & put in decades ago. Usually it's evergreen & just sits there. This year it has died abruptly, but has scapes. I guess I can plant them? Should I try to harvest bulbs? Do I have any bulbs? Any advice appreciated; I know nothing about garlic.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #6
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well, I don't know that anyone can know what is below the dirt at your house or if you have bulbs. i would pull a couple (Dig) and see. Yes you can certainly plant the seeds although it takes more than one year to get bulbs from seeds from what I have read. I have never tried.

Even people who grow garlic every year often have to dig down around a couple or pull a couple to see how they are developing.
Old July 11, 2018   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Henry did say you can get full size bulbs with scapes on, but you have to leave them quite a bit longer. So for a timely crop, removing scapes makes sense.
Also of course, they are delicious!!
If you want to grow some up from bulbils, then it's best to leave the scape on a plant until it matures. You can also dig the whole plant with scape, and hang them to cure and finish developing their bulbils. Nan, since they are dying back perhaps you should dig the bulbs and see if there's disease or damage there, or are they just drying down as their season ended? Even a cut scape can produce some bulbils if you give it time, and if you wanted to save that variety.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'll go look at what's in the ground. Above ground I've got dry leaves with little bulb clusters in them.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

If you have bulbs with cloves you can always seperate and replant the cloves, too.
Old July 13, 2018   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default I Knew Better But I Couldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
For the second year in a row, plants that we left scapes on had bulbs 50 percent smaller than plants of equal size with scapes removed.
I took mine of when they emerged and up to the first bend.

Agree 99.999999 percent!

A big ole squash grew near one side of the garlic bed, preventing scaping. The bulbs harvested (today) were about half the size of the bulbs where I could reach over and cut them. (Three week rule employed)

I will plan the layout more generously and pay close attention to timing next year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote