Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 4, 2018   #1
TechGuy
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardneck not developed correctly

I planted 5 lbs of German Red (in back on video) and 1 pound of Georgian Fire. The Georgian Fire made nice scapes and large well defined bulbs.

Video in May
https://youtu.be/SNNGBtHh_ys

The German Red had maybe had one plant develop a scape. It developed some very large bulbs but after removing several layers of covering I only had 1 largish clove. Some we're a little rotten.

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzYguJWSDU6Uxu8f9
[/IMG]

Question I have is was I sold the wrong garlic instead of German Red, or was there another problem? Maybe the video holds a clue. I wondered if slope may have affected water flow and over watered them. That would mean other variety was ok with more water.

Incidentally this is sandy soil with horse manure compost tilled in. We also had temps down into single digits. The Georgian Fire probably had more wheat straw mulch and german red had wood chips. I fertilized niether in spring and did not water.
TechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link that describes German Red (rocambole).
http://greyduckgarlic.com/Buy_German_Red.html

They say it is fussy about well drained soil, so that probably explains the rotten cloves. As for not putting out scapes, maybe because it likes colder winters. Too bad! It sounds like a tasty one.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2018   #3
TechGuy
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the link. I'll have to do some more research and try more varieties to find ones that will do well in my area. so far, the Georgian Fire is beautiful and tasty.

incidentally, what is happening with seed garlic prices. seems like everything is much more expensive than previous years
Old August 6, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

I noticed the same thing in Canada. Most places have raised their prices.

Then again, all seed prices have gotten crazy expensive, in general!

With garlic, there's always the plan to grow your own seed and make it worthwhile, but there are risks beyond our control as in your situation, or a bad winter, pests etc. One thing I think is very worthwhile is to always be growing up seed from bulbils on the side - doesn't take much space - and could save your bacon if the crop is damaged.

I'm looking to trial some more varieties to find a diverse group that do well in our climate - because with so much variation year to year, different garlics will do better or worse depending on the 'curse of the year'. I found a source that's fairly close, with three varieties I'd like to try, so I am thinking to get just one bulb of each and then multiply the stock by growing them out and by producing some bulbils to grow out as well.

If you can find a seed source that's in your same zone, they'll be offering varieties already tested in your conditions. Some hardnecks want more of a winter than others, afaik.

As regards wet situations I can name a few that I've read about (cause we get it wet too!) which are 'more tolerant than most': Susan Delafield, Killarney Red, Phillips, Red Rezan are a few that I've heard it said iirc, but as always seeing is believing. Raise beds and ditch them, or grow in ridges, are techniques people use to ensure good drainage for their garlic.
Old August 6, 2018   #5
TechGuy
Tomatovillian™

i have not tried reproducing with Bulbils. I will have to give that at try.

I have very sandy soil so I guess my problem was my planting on a slope. I think I will just find some more level area this year. I have grown hardneck garlic for a few years an never had rotting or weird head formation like this. usually my soil is too sandy and my heads are not big enough

I may try to find some at a local farmers market too.
Old August 6, 2018   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, Svalli mentioned the same thing happened with one variety this year - attributed to unusually hot conditions? Scroll down a few and you'll see her thread - fall planted hardneck producing single bulb or something to that effect.

So it could be caused by your temperatures this season, and that variety was sensitive and reacted by not maturing...

Incidentally, you can replant the single "rounds" that you got, if you want to give the variety a second chance, as long as they're not rotted.