Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 20, 2009   #16
BattleOfBennington
Tomatovillian™

Ted -

The 'maters that came into our lowe's north of Indy were sick too...
BattleOfBennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Bonnie has 3 dozen or so growing facilities, but their website says that not all varieties are grown at every site. They share plants and ship things around to accomodate orders by the big box stores.

With the economy is shambles, I suspect that what we're getting is lower quality. That will reduce their overhead and, of course, that means they have to charge more to make you not look at the quality - thus the price increases.

If I were to purchase any plants this year, I would be looking at sources like Fusion Power and Sandhill. I don't even want any of Bonnie's flowers for fear of bringing home something I didn't intend to buy.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Was back at Lowes yesterday and Bonnie was delivering again. I asked one of the workers where the plants he was delivering came from and he said Union City. I then asked him if he knew anything about tomato diseases and he said yes. Then he volunteered that he had been seeing BACTERIAL SPECK on some mature plants. He told me to be careful choosing my plants.

I went inside to the area where the sick plants had been and noticed that another brand was there. There were mature plants without the Bonnie tag. Most of them were compact or dwarf sized plants and almost all had several toms ready to change colors. AND..... most of them had the obvious signs of Bacterial Speck.

That means to me that the infection is swiftly passing throughout their stock, no matter the source. I am at the point where before I go to MY garden I am even changing clothes after a visit to Bonnie plants anywhere.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 1, 2009   #19
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

Union City, where?

~* Robin
Old May 1, 2009   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Robin, although I didn't ask him which state, we have a Union City, GA that fits the Bonnie map. It is here in the Atlanta area.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 1, 2009   #21
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

OH. Ok, thanks Ted.

~* Robin
Old May 3, 2009   #22
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

The Walmart in Jonesville Michigan got their plants from Bonnie. Other than some week looking pansies nothing looked wrong with tomatoes ,peppers or eggplant. The plants look great but they where 3.50 for each plant and 5 for the big ones.Outrageous! Glad I have seeds to grow my plants.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #23
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

In my opinion, most, if not all of the big growers also use growth regulators on their tomato plants which is illegal, but the Ag Dept seems to not inforce.......This fall, when I get time, I am going to try to find out why the dept of Ag does't take a serious look at this problem and inforce the law! Maybe growth regulated plants are more suseptable to disease????? I have never had a problem with diseases and I grow thousands of Tomato Trasplants every year and I DO NOT use growth reuglators!
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #24
n2ziasm
Tomatovillian™

Hello!
I am an avid tomato grower in eastern kentucky, and also was asked to work for a local garden center in a nearby county a few days a week to help out. we get Bonnie trucks in once or twice a week, and thus far the tomato varieties have been w/o that telltale spotting, thank goodness.
n2ziasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009   #25
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

same here - working at a small plant place and our Bonnie plants have been quite nice. They did build two new greenhouses here in north central Nebraska so the plants are somewhat 'local' - fairly pricey though. The Bonnie boys live here for six months and then head back to Alabama. so far no diseases but the plants fly off the shelves. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009   #26
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

My mother in law bought Bonnie plants and her garden is looking awful. 3/4 of her tomato planted are wilted and barely hanging on due to the virus. I grew from seed this year and plan to from now on.
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #27
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Here is an on-line magazine article about Bonnie plants. It's something i subscribe to so I hope you can get to the link.
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/news/?storyid=2468

Basically Bonnie is saying "it wasn't us, not our plants". Trying to "CYA" from the looks of it to me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #28
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

Read other gardening Forums-Bonnie's is getting a really bad reputation--I have never seen such horrible Aphid infestations as I see on their plants. Personal experience from Alabama to Texas
VORTREKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #29
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

welcome to TV Vortreker, it looks like Bonnie has ruined their reputation. A lot of people depend on companies like Bonnie's for their plants, I'm glad that I have a choice and can plant my seed.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #30
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Big Box garden centers usually have a lot of inexperienced help, since the job is often seasonal. It doesn't take much overhead watering to send tomato transplants to diseased tomato Valhalla. You should have showed them your "Container Police" badge and then they would have given you the respect you deserve;-)Your effort to educate is to be commended.This incident just illustrates why "home grown" is best.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote