Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 17, 2012   #31
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Of course, free is always good if you know what you're getting is suitable for your purpose. Here we have a company that is all they do, clean and re-sell barrels and drums of all types, cardboard, plastic, steel. I have bought several from them. They are always surprised when it fits the trunk of the car, lol. 36 " wide and the drum is like 35 1/2. Bungee cord the trunk lid, good to go.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #32
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Default Now were talking

I was perusing Craigslist the other day and I came across a local winery that were trying to unload used 55-gallon food grade wine barrels. They were asking $10 each, so I thought heck why not. I got them to deliver 20 barrels for a additional $50. So I now have 20 large 55-gal clear/white food grade barrels. Next I need to find a way to evenly cut them in half, fill up, and now Ive got a place to put all those extra tomato seedlings!!

I think $6.50 for a sturdy (albeit ugly) 20+ gal container isn't too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-19_15-45-19_625.jpg (85.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-19_15-45-33_501.jpg (46.9 KB, 38 views)
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #33
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

They look very similar to the water softener barrels I was suggesting earlier. By the way HD has 99 cent spray paint cans.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #34
luke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I was perusing Craigslist the other day and I came across a local winery that were trying to unload used 55-gallon food grade wine barrels. They were asking $10 each, so I thought heck why not. I got them to deliver 20 barrels for a additional $50. So I now have 20 large 55-gal clear/white food grade barrels. Next I need to find a way to evenly cut them in half, fill up, and now Ive got a place to put all those extra tomato seedlings!!

I think $6.50 for a sturdy (albeit ugly) 20+ gal container isn't too bad.
Buy an appliance dolly.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #35
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

To cut them in half evenly I'd use a table saw if I had access to one. I'd build a jig by taking two boards a little longer than the barrel. Attach spacer blocks at the ends so that the barrel would set just a speck off the table, then fasten the whole thing to the table saw. Put a barrel in this cradle. You and a friend should be able to slowly turn the drum and cut it in half evenly.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #36
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Magic marker hash marks half way point.Sawzall with fine tooth,keep guide on surface at all times.Do not go to fast it will get away from you.Start cut made with circular saw enough only to insert sawzall blade.Careful with circular saw for kick back.Set circular saw only 1/4 inch deep place plate of saw on surface then gently move saw down to make start cut.Make sure barrel is on table up against a wall .Start at top and pull sawzall down,stop and turn barrel up.Wear mask and do not rush.Another person to help turn barrel and stabilize.For drain hole a hole saw with drill,do not force caus drill will catch and twist and possible pilot bit break.Eye protection always with power tools!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #37
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, Doug thanks for the tips. I was going to the same kind of places in my mind already. I don't have help, so this will be a one man adventure. I also don't have a Sawzall, though perhaps now is a good time to grab one. I do have a cheapo Jig Saw, so maybe I'll try that first. This is going to take some time and effort I can see.
-n
Old April 27, 2012   #38
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

I have used a jig saw on these type of barrels and it worked fine. NIce find...Good luck!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #39
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Realizing how crummy a job my Jig Saw did building Raybo's InnTainers, I decided to head over to H.D. and grab a Millwakee 12A basic Sawzall. I was able to get them to match the $99- Amazon deal, so I feel OK about the price. That tool felt amazingly well built -- impressive for the price. I also grabbed a can of primer and walnut brown colored spray paint. I'm sad to say those were $4 each. The .99c cans come only in black and white.

You can see the difference the paint makes in the pics I attached. Again, sadly, two cans ($ only barrel covered one barrel. So that means the paint cost nearly as much as the barrel. That's not going to work for me. I need to find a cheaper alternative. Heck, I don't even know how well this paints going to hold up outside.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and suggestions through this thread!
-naysen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-27_19-13-40_263.jpg (233.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-27_19-13-50_698.jpg (167.2 KB, 39 views)
Old April 28, 2012   #40
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have myself a Milwakee sawzall.Since I have a lot of trees it works great for trimming branches.There are some blades you can get for tree trimming.No more chainsawing.Black asphalt liquid roll on might be a cheaper choice for a covering on barrels.That stuff sticks to anything.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #41
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Nayson, you can get some of that bamboo curtain stuff and make cute "bamboo" barrels by wrapping it around the tubs. That wouldn't be an eyesore, but then again I don't think anything to do with gardening can be an "eyesore".
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #42
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Looks great. I'm shopping for barrels this weekend.

There is s spray paint that bonds to plastic called Fusion by Krylon. It would eliminate the primer step. I think HD has it
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #43
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I have myself a Milwakee sawzall.Since I have a lot of trees it works great for trimming branches.There are some blades you can get for tree trimming.No more chainsawing.Black asphalt liquid roll on might be a cheaper choice for a covering on barrels.That stuff sticks to anything.
Yeah, I grabbed one of the trimming blades (the smaller of the two) for some yard-work. I have a hillside full of bushes that are becoming behemoths. I need to wreak bloody murder upon those bushes, and I believe the Sawzall is just the right "tool" for the job. As for the liquid asphalt, I'm not sure the result would be far superior, aesthetically, from the native white plastic. And that stuff reeks.
Old April 28, 2012   #44
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
Nayson, you can get some of that bamboo curtain stuff and make cute "bamboo" barrels by wrapping it around the tubs. That wouldn't be an eyesore, but then again I don't think anything to do with gardening can be an "eyesore".
I forgot about that bamboo option. I had originally thought to just plant a lot of flowers and greenery surrounding the pots so as to hide their ugly sides. Honestly, I kind of find that bamboo wreath style a touch tacky, but it might be a nice alternative to the white if I can't afford the spray paint.
Thanks, Naysen
Old April 28, 2012   #45
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Looks great. I'm shopping for barrels this weekend.

There is s spray paint that bonds to plastic called Fusion by Krylon. It would eliminate the primer step. I think HD has it
Thanks Nancy. I'll keep an eye out. I'm going to shop around a bit today (Walmart, 0.99c store, Ace, Osh, Lowes, etc.) and see if I can find a better price on spray paint. There's gotta be something better than $8 a barrel. Good luck searching out those barrels.