Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 8, 2014   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The cheapest media I can find to fill a lot of big containers is rice hulls. But I've never used them, and don't know exactly how. I think 100% rice hulls would work with a drip irrigation system and fertilizer injector, but I have not tried it yet. But then again, just about anything works as media when used like that. The extent to which media needs moisture-retaining elements like peat depends a lot on how long you need it to go between waterings.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Out here in California, Pro-Mix cost about $12.00 per cubic foot. Perlite runs about $4.00 per cubic foot. Buy the Pro-Mix BX (instead of the HP) and blend in the desired ratio of added Perlite - - much cheaper....

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 8, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #18
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have never seen Promix anywhere near me until I saw the HP at Home Depot and decided I would take what I could get.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #19
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I just picked up 10 3.8cu. ft. compressed peat moss, and that came to $140 and change. While I was there (Agway) I priced the large compressed bale of PRO-MIX BX and it was $44.98. I had to turn my back on it. This year I'm going to use peat moss, compost, perlite, and some manure for my outside containers. Wish I knew of something to use as a cheap wetting agent. That peat can really shun water.
I too am going to hoe in a barrel (soak and mash the peat first with water ) use a portion of seasoned kow compost manure from and MG garden mix top soil. All these cost me as follows : peat bale 10.00 approx 3 cubic ft. kow manure 5.00 for 50lb bag.. MG garden soil on sale 1.5 cubic ft bag 2.00 (i bought 12 mg bags) ..so for around 40 dollars , I think I have more than enough mix for potting as well as for garden bed transplants. My beds are already organically enriched from the fall with horse manure/mulched fall leaves/grass clippings.. I think I am ahead of the game.. my seedlings are growing fast..i may need to give half of the 70 plants i have growing. I might grow about 40 plants tops. The rest I will find a home for the left over seedlings to family or friends.
Old April 8, 2014   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have never seen Promix anywhere near me until I saw the HP at Home Depot and decided I would take what I could get.
Linda,

Just checked my local Home Depot and they are now stocking the Pro-Mix HP 2.2 cu. ft. bag for $25.00. That's great!

My point was if you have a choice of purchasing either the BX or HP version, always select the BX as you get more of the "good stuff" in each bag. You can manually add the inert Perlite as you want to make your blend and the net total cost per cu. ft. of your grow media will be less.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 8, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #21
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Linda,

Just checked my local Home Depot and they are now stocking the Pro-Mix HP 2.2 cu. ft. bag for $25.00. That's great!

My point was if you have a choice of purchasing either the BX or HP version, always select the BX as you get more of the "good stuff" in each bag. You can manually add the inert Perlite as you want to make your blend and the net total cost per cu. ft. of your grow media will be less.

Raybo
I think its odd that that when they decided to carry this in demand product they went with the HP and not the more popular BX. It stuck me that they may have simply ordered the wrong one.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This is the pro mix I buy:
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...53-c-10116.htm
Old April 9, 2014   #23
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Just so you know, I don't grow in containers, but have been very interested in trying out Pro‑Mix BX w/ Mycorrhizae for my seedlings.

I went to Home Depot.... Not available in your currently localized store.
I checked the store locator for Menards.... Not one Menards in the entire state.
I checked the local nursery.... Nada
I checked the shipping buying it online.... Outrageous
I guess I'll be using compost in paper pots again.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #24
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Only asking if this might be a good idea.. what if i fill half way the 5 gallon buckets using stable horse manure mix which consists basically of straw sawdust/woodchips and horse manure? I think if i put about a 1/3 fill and the rest a homemade mix of peat and mg garden soil.. what do you think? I get the horse stable mix free up the street.. it seems to work great for my gardens every season..but wondering if pathogens are a concern.
Old April 9, 2014   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Depending on how light the manure mix is, aeration could be an issue. I'd add perlite if it looks like a brick of mud when it gets wet.
Old April 9, 2014   #26
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I'm a first time seedling grower and I've had tremendous success with using MG Seedling Starter. I'm actually stressing out as the germination rate is so much better than anticipated. After the plants start showing their first true leaves, I immediately pot up with bagged potting MIX.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #27
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Scott, they sell it in hydroponics stores in Atlanta.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #28
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Why in hell are you people paying these outrageous prices for garbage growing media?

With very little effort you can make your own growing mix and at least you know what is in it.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BDPWM 7 October 2010 Seedling Potting Mix
Seedling potting mix is made using sand,compost, coconut fiber, bedding wood chips, bone meal, garden soil to add some microbes), and the ingredients are mixed thoroughly using the Honda FG110 small high speed rototiller. The amount of any ingredients is subjective and based on experience and appearance. Total quantity made was 250 liters, which should meet my requirements. This mixture will be used for starting seeds indoors beginning about March 2011.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IEVCS 11 September 2013 Seedling Soil
Seedling soil for the 2014 season.The underlying nutrient soil was the compost heap brought in this Spring supplied by the city. It was modified using some knowledge and information from previous subjective experience.Ingredients added to the basic underlying compost was, coconut coir, mason sand, some garden earth, wood chip shavings, a bit of fertilizer 10 10 10. My mental process was this. Coconut coir for moisture retention. Mason sand to inhibit coagulating of the basic compost. Garden earth to supply a few microbes. Wood chips shavings for aeration and to determine how well the products are mixed, since they are easily seen.
The subjective quantities selected were mixed thoroughly on the compost pile using the Honda FG110G rototiller. The finished product was stored in 20 litre buckets and closed with lids tapped into place with a rubber hammer. A total quantity of about 400 litres was obtained. Holes were drilled under the lid lip to allow air in.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #29
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Its not garbage growing media for one. For two some people dont live in houses and dont have shovels tillers and wheelbarrows. Or room for storing half bags of bone meal. Is your soil sterile? Do you know its pH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
gturmindright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #30
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Why in hell are you people paying these outrageous prices for garbage growing media?
In my case, as I mentioned. Right now I mostly use compost. I have a few flats of 6 and 9 cell flats I pot into, but after those are full, everything else goes in a homemade paper pot made from recycled newspaper.

However, I am growing. I am currently up to about 1,000 plants this year and who knows next year? 5,000? 10,000? So I have to develop consistent ways with consistent materials to get everything started off right that don't take forever to process. A pot up mix that is already blended and contains the right mix of Mycorrhizae makes things a whole lot more consistent. If I can find a good one to trust at the right price.

When it was just my garden, I never needed nor bothered. My homemade stuff works good enough.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote