Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 23, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Where do you buy your seed garlic?

I want to order early if necessary as I am sure some places sell out of the most popular varieties. The one place I looked at so far starts shipping at the end of August. I also want the biggest bulbs. Easy online ordering is a plus. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #2
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

In this area we have two garlic festivals, one in September, one the beginning of October. The vendors have great quality and you can pick out what you want. You might check and see if there is something similar nearby. Last year one vendor offered really large bulbs (not just Musik) and they did spectacularly for me - a little more expensive but worth it!
When you order you get what they send with little choice on size. That is not to say there aren't good places, but I have never ordered online.

Here is a link to a Garlic festival in Connecticut. Don't know if it is in driving distance for you or not. Looks pretty interesting! http://www.garlicfestct.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by Gardadore; July 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: additionala info
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In CT you aren't that far from Saugerties,NY and they have a wonderful Garlic Festival

https://www.google.com/#q=Garlic+Fes...rties+NY&hl=en

I've been there several times, and you haven't lived until you've had garlic ice cream,garlic cookies,garlic french fries,and on and on.

More to the point are the many booths where garlic growers from alll over the lower Hudson Valley are selling a fantastic variety of garlic bulbs.

Another plus for me and whoever I go with is that the drive back up to the Albany area goes through mile after mile of Orchards,all with stands selling apples and peaches and plums and pears, and it's where I first bought and tasted Honey Crisp apples,all those years ago,and was an ASAP convert.

Carolyn
Old July 23, 2016   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Everyone keeps on harping about Honey Crisp apples.. I cannot believe they're *that* good.. compared to some Nordic varieties.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Everyone keeps on harping about Honey Crisp apples.. I cannot believe they're *that* good.. compared to some Nordic varieties.
I wasn't harping,I was enthusiastically praising it and am very interested in the new improved Honey Crisp which I haven't tasted yet.

Please name some Nordic varieties for me and I ask since there's a small village near me where many familys from Finland settled and I'm wondering if they brought any scions with them and propagated them here.

Carolyn, who is 1/4 Swedish but knows when they came to the US from Uppsala, Carlson by name, they bought nothing with them other than their suitcases,their traditions,their foods,their language,but when here they were told they were now in America and should only speak English.Still,when my mother was talking on the phone with her mother, Hattie Wigand,nee Carlson,I could hear a few words and I think one of them meant money,maybe penga?.
Old July 23, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The Saugerties festival was where I first discovered hardneck garlic. All the farmers had samples of the varieties they were selling and it was great being able to taste them side-by-side.

And yes, garlic ice cream must be experienced!

If you can't hit a garlic festival and want to get an order in early, I bought new Music stock from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange last year and it did well. Some of the farms that sell on line will not take advance orders and if you don't jump on once ordering goes live, they sell out.

I also ordered from a seed vendor on the west coast once and had almost complete crop failure. I had previously ordered shallots from them which did really well, but I don't think the garlic liked it's cross-country trip.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I wish I could recommend some from here that are available in your neighborhood.
One of the best is Antonovka, a Russian one that's sturdy and strong, it's widely used in Canada as well.
My parents have a White Transparent - it's a lovely sharp aroma, (if only little insects leave it grow and develop in peace! this year we have an infestation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Transparent

and there are plenty ones with name Cinnamon, no idea if they are available over there.
Another wonderful variety that we call Syysviiru, meaning Autumn Stripe, very nice red striped small fruited cultivar.

Those come to mind at this moment, I'll check for some more.

Honey Crisp is known and available here in supermarkets - probably not grown in Finland, but imported from Central Europe. I am curious, but cannot remember ever trying it.
Pink Lady from France is another one that's marketed with grande fleur and much fanfare, and - imho, doesn't taste anything special. But, commercial ones hardly ever do.
Granny Smith was wonderful in my childhood - now it has become more and more like mushy cardboard...

Garlic ice cream - that's something I've been hoping to try. Sounds exotic enough, almost as exotic as chocolate dipped insects...
Old July 23, 2016   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ja, Carolyn, Du har rätt - pengar betyder 'money'
Old July 23, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like garlic but I am drawing the line at ice cream.
Hot peppers yes garlic no.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #10
OhioKate
Tomatovillian™

I am pretty new to growing garlic but I bought my seed garlic from Baker Creek last year. It did really well and I was pleasantly surprised to dig up mostly good sized heads.

I've already put this years order in since last year I waited too long and ended up with only a few choices to choose from. Definitely order early regardless of where you decide to order from.
OhioKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #11
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Oregon Trail Garlic last year and the two varieties Bavarian Purple and German Red did very well for the first time I have grown garlic. I saved a bunch of good sized heads to plant next year. After reading up on other garlic varieties, I wanted to try Spanish Roja for next year and since Oregon Trail didn't have it, I ordered from Filaree Garlic Farm. Both of these companies were recommended as seed sources in the garlic book I read. I still have the book around if you would like some other sources that were listed.

George

http://www.oregontrailgarlic.com

http://www.filareefarm.com

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #12
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Narnian,
I wouldn't bother with supermarket apples.
I have gotten so I wont eat them unless they are less than 3-4 days off the tree.
They change taste almost as fast as sweet corn once picked. Ok not that bad but you get the idea.
A fresh honey crisp is beautiful as are many others.

Supermarket apples are cold stored for up to a year under nitrogen. Taste like it too.
Oops long way from garlic. Sorry
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Narnian,
I have gotten so I wont eat them unless they are less than 3-4 days off the tree.
They change taste almost as fast as sweet corn once picked. Ok not that bad but you get the idea.

Supermarket apples are cold stored for up to a year under nitrogen. Taste like it too.
Brother I remember a whole bedroom with fresh picked apples in it.
You know what I mean I dont have to explain it.

Garlic too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #14
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking about garlic as well.I found a website that had like 200+ varieties,but I don't know if they are still in business or not.I was out looking for general information,as I don't know much about garlic and figured maybe I should learn a little.

the website is http://www.wegrowgarlic.com and looks to have every variety known to man.(not really,but they list lots of different garlic).Sad if they are no longer in business.
Old July 24, 2016   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Narnian,

Yep I know. I hardly ever bother with apples from the grocery store - unless they are locally grown, in which case they may have some taste left.

Pears on the other hand.. seem to hold on much better. I was surprised to find a certain variety that is both beautiful and tasty. It's sold in one supermarket chain only ..