Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 21, 2016   #31
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Be patient and keep trying. I keep planting even though I don't get as many nice ones as I want, but I also plant it and forget it. No water no fertilizer beyond the initial planting. I planted the German White last year and just harvested it... it was the nicest size bulbs I have harvested from any variety so far. some are in the 3-4 oz range. woot! the music and Spanish Roja... meh... in size. I have certainly seen bigger than what I harvested from them.
Old August 21, 2016   #32
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Sue:
If you want to maximize size you'll do fine with the german extra hardy that you got. Northern White is a very similar porcelain type and probably not worth the effort, because it is so similar. The clove shape of NW is slighly more rounded at the tip. That said, GW or NW or Music from different vendors might not be indentical due to the presence of virus.

Soil fertility, water, and spacing, and climate factors like severity and length of winter, and sunlight, play a big role in size. so does growing virus free stock.

There are other garlics that are interesting for flavors and colors but the porcelains grow the largest bulbs and tend also to have the largest cloves. Storage might also be another consideration. I always have a few purple stripe and marbled purple stripe varieties in the mix. If you're serious about garlic I don't think you'd regret a trip to Saugerties http://hvgf.org/

Last edited by swamper; August 21, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #33
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Not sure I am "serious" about garlic, but I do like it and use it quite a bit. I would love to go to Saugerties but I am working Saturday and Sunday that weekend. If it is slow at work and I get to stay home without having to be on call I will certainly consider it. But right now it really doesn't seem like an option.

Does anyone in cold climates like zone 5-6 grow soft neck? I know hard neck does better, but I wondered if I could plant a little soft neck too, to make my harvest last a little longer in storage, or if it would be a waste of time.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #34
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Heyyy, they changed Saugerties from the last weekend in Sept. to the first weekend in Oct, when I am OFF! I might go after all!
Old August 21, 2016   #35
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My parents who are in zone 5b have successfully grown garlic from the softnecks mom buys at the grocery store. If you buy softneck seed stock, I'd think you could easily grow it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #36
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Does anyone in cold climates like zone 5-6 grow soft neck?
If you are hoping for large cloves then I would not recommend softneck since you will get lots of small cloves per head.

As I posted earlier, I was looking for larger cloves and was very happy with the German Porcelain variety that I bought from Getgarlic.com

Interestingly I just read in a Mother Earth News e-newsletter that you can grow larger cloves by planting your hardneck garlic later in the year when it is cooler.

They said that the earlier planted garlic cloves have warmer weather and they put on more growth before winter which leads to smaller cloves in the spring. The later planted cloves sense the cold and do not grow as much, leading to a smaller number but bigger cloves in the spring.

I don't know if this is true. All I know is that my German Porcelains from getgarlic.com gave me nice, large and good tasting cloves. I planted them in early October last year.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #37
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown garlic one time, this year. I have no knowledge of virus issues in it so if this is a big deal and there is some way to tell, please do tell. I am not placing another order for German White garlic this year over the internet when I have large 3" bulbs that I bought locally and was able to see and pick out myself without paying for shipping. If I don't get good results I will certainly revisit Filarees and Getgarlic.com. I noted the recommendations and do appreciate them. If I order that way in the future, however, given the expense I suspect it will only be if I can do it very early and get the choice bulbs, especially since I can't see what I am buying in advance.

While I would like to get larger and more consistently sized bulbs, call me crazy but I would also like a little more storage time, even if it means some smaller bulbs. I don't feel limited to and either/or situation. I could plant some that would give me larger more consistent bulbs and also plant a few that store longer, even if they are smaller, which I could use when the others are no longer usable. If I got garlic crazy I might even plant 3 varieties just so I could see what does best for me.+
Old August 23, 2016   #38
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I have only grown garlic one time, this year. I have no knowledge of virus issues in it so if this is a big deal and there is some way to tell, please do tell. I am not placing another order for German White garlic this year over the internet when I have large 3" bulbs that I bought locally and was able to see and pick out myself without paying for shipping. If I don't get good results I will certainly revisit Filarees and Getgarlic.com. I noted the recommendations and do appreciate them. If I order that way in the future, however, given the expense I suspect it will only be if I can do it very early and get the choice bulbs, especially since I can't see what I am buying in advance.

While I would like to get larger and more consistently sized bulbs, call me crazy but I would also like a little more storage time, even if it means some smaller bulbs. I don't feel limited to and either/or situation. I could plant some that would give me larger more consistent bulbs and also plant a few that store longer, even if they are smaller, which I could use when the others are no longer usable. If I got garlic crazy I might even plant 3 varieties just so I could see what does best for me.+
Garlic is one of the easiest crops to grow, so don't over think it. Sunshine and a nice mulching to keep weeds at bay, your good. Weather seems to play a big factor, but outside of control. Props on not falling victim to advertising ploys and get the big bulb local. "Why Pay More?"
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #39
henry
Tomatovillian™

If one wants large cloves in a soft-neck garlic look for
Artichokes like Red Toch and Early Italian Red, they will
have large cloves.
Old August 23, 2016   #40
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I keep my garlic heads in open, wooden baskets in my basement which has a concrete floor and a pretty even temperature around 55 degrees. I keep the baskets up off of the floor to prevent dampness.

Last year my hardnecks lasted about 10 months before they started sprouting.

I think that curing the bulbs properly before storage helps a lot too.

I have never had a virus in my garlic bed but I have read about them and they can persist in the soil for years and affect subsequent crops so I really like to be careful not to get one started. That is why I like to buy from a reputable supplier who sells certified garlic. After the initial purchase I grow my own garlic from that stock. I am an organic grower and I bought organic garlic from getgarlic.

I read a post on a forum from one person who sold her garlic at a Farmer's Market and she knew that she had a virus in her patch. She said "the buyers are supposed to eat it, not grow it, and the virus is not harmful to humans"

I was appalled that she was so uncaring of others and it made me see that not everyone abides by the same standards.

Last edited by brownrexx; August 23, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #41
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default VIRUSES IN GARLIC

I purchased locally grown, not imported, garlic from a local organic garlic farm. They specialize in growing garlic. Would they want virus infected stock? They are nice large, 3" bulbs. Is GetGarlic.com the only one that has virus free seed garlic? Also, if one clove in a bulb has the virus do they all? If you get some good size bulbs does that mean there was no virus? If seed garlic is infected, are all the bulbs from that garlic smaller in size? No one else here has mentioned being concerned about it all, so not sure what to think.
Old August 25, 2016   #42
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It's always in the back of my mind when I buy seed stock.

My opinion is that if a grower is producing good, healthy garlic that they are selling specifically for planting, and their own seed for the next year comes from the same crop that they're selling, then I won't worry about it. No guarantees, but a lot less likely that there will be problems.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #43
henry
Tomatovillian™

Link for garlic virus.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...r_of_Infection

Last edited by henry; August 25, 2016 at 07:13 AM.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #44
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
that was clear as mud.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #45
henry
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
that was clear as mud.
Most garlic will have some virus load and the garlic will be just fine with it as it is not a huge problem for the most part.

In a lab it is possible to get virus free garlic once back out in the field it will start to pick up viruses.