Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old December 27, 2017   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Northern Growers - Comparison of Onion Varieties

Does Dixondale rename their plants from the original seed provider- I couldn't match many of their catalog offerings with the trials below.

Onions size depends on day length for proper growth. This thread is for northern growers with summer daylight hours of 14 or more hours. Southern growers may want to start a different thread with appropriate university research for their area.

This onion trial spans several years:
http://extension.wsu.edu/grant-adams...emoResults.pdf

A few common ones here:
http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/vi...riaes_bulletin

Sweet comparison only. Short day in PA?
https://extension.psu.edu/2012-sweet...-variety-trial

I hope this is helpful as personal accounts on onion growing and storage vary widely. I'm not buying new seed this year but I will buy plants if they are available locally. Please add any other growing and storage comparisons for long day onions to this thread.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I really have no idea about northern varieties of onions. as I am researching some to grow from seed for next year... what have you grown and regrow every year. I am leaning towards australian brown?, New York early, bronze D'amposta and or yellow flat dutch. they all have good reveiws where I have looked but was wondering from you what you thought. the charts on the above pdf's are fairy uninformative for varieties we would grow as gardeners..
Old August 31, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I guess they just don't carry those varieties. Those are probably expensive seed (hybrid?) and they seem to have more heirloom types.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #4
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Ask Dixondale

Ask if the re-name their onions. I would think not. They are the best place I have found for reliable high quality
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

carolyn k, northern growers meaning long day. This year , due to space constraints, I grew only Candy Red and Candy purchased from Dixondale via our local nursery that buys the plant bundles and resells them. Candy is not a storage onion. I decided to try something that I could not buy in the supermarket, and I was pleased with the milder taste they had.

In the past, I've grown Copra and a few others from seed (can't remember at the moment). I used to grow storage onions but I will no longer continue to do that and instead devote space to varieties not available at the grocery.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't very clear on that statement... I know nothing about growing onions... not just northern onion.