Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 16, 2018   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default finally planted

i got my garlic planted yesterday.
spring planting is not my preferred method, but i was forced to when our lovely fall weather last year went south for the winter. heavy snow in october along with plummeting temperature kept the snow on the garden until just a couple weeks ago.
most of the garlic was still in pretty good shape. many cloves were starting to sprout, but thats what they are supposed to do. only variety in tough shape was an italian one from patrick. most cloves were pretty dried up, but some still showed signs of life, so in they went. only need one to grow.
i peeled the wrappers off most cloves to check health status, not something i normally do.

the unknown german hard neck i sent out to some of you was still in really good shape
nine months out of the ground

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Let us know how that works out Keith. Spring planting is one of those things, seldom done, but you never know the circumstances that could arise - as they did for you.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #3
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I made my first ever proper garlic bed in Nov. (thanks Durgan and TomNJ for inspirational threads), and also planted some leftovers this Spring. They were hanging July to March and I think the grow light helped wake them, when that started use in March. I am curious to see the difference come July; the spring planting looks fine but it is far behind the fall planting in terms of size. The fall planting got the best pick of the bulbs, of course.

Keith, sounds like you made the best of it. I bet they turn out well.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hey Keith, had a thought, do you think it would have been possible to melt some snow and earth under glass, get them in the ground, and pile snow back on to insulate? Keep in mind I have never been to the U.P. and practically all I know about it is from Fred Bear articles. This year was COLD for here; we had a stretch there in early Jan when it was probably -5F at night. I realize you probably call that "Tuesday afternoon".
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #5
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

It is a 'reverse method' that can work, (at least in southern Iowa) Plant in early spring and instead of planting in late September-October, you harvest. In your location - not sure, but after drying for 2-3 weeks you could turn around and plant cloves again. I know gardeners that do this successfully.