Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 5, 2016   #166
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Didn't know this was possible http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirkraut.html
kefirkraut?!?! yikes, I think I might give it a try... a tiny little batch just to see.
I used kefir as a starter for a fermented pepper mash one year, it certainly worked. I still think I prefer the traditional fermenting method with salt though. The kefir mash tasted different to me, I didn't care for it. The kefir itself was good and fun to make though.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016   #167
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
I used kefir as a starter for a fermented pepper mash one year, it certainly worked. I still think I prefer the traditional fermenting method with salt though. The kefir mash tasted different to me, I didn't care for it. The kefir itself was good and fun to make though.
What kind of kefir did you use water or milk? I can't imagine using milk kefir as starter for veg, maybe for making bread. But i could be wrong-lack of imagination ... These guys use both water and milk kefir grains to ferment vegies. I only have the milk grains, and didn't start a batch yet.
Old February 5, 2016   #168
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw the video and I have to say I disagree with some of his ideas.
Not all but some.
The whole idea of you MUST use organic is hog wash.
The statement that regular soap isn't antibacterial is wrong.
The big and I mean really big problem with the anti bacterial crap they want you to use like the purell is it dries your skin out and makes it crack.
This opens you skin up to infection plus it promotes killer germs.
At work they had people standing guard to make you use it or put on gloves.
I either faked using it or put on gloves.
It is absolutely crazy how sanitary people think everything has to be.
We are killing ourselves.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #169
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I thought so too about organic, you use what you can, that's much better than nothing. True about soap too, probably a couple of more fishy things that skipped my attention, but I thougt it was worth watching anyway.
Old February 6, 2016   #170
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was fun at least it wasn't boring.LOL
Old February 6, 2016   #171
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What kind of kefir did you use water or milk? I can't imagine using milk kefir as starter for veg, maybe for making bread. But i could be wrong-lack of imagination ... These guys use both water and milk kefir grains to ferment vegies. I only have the milk grains, and didn't start a batch yet.
It was the milk grains. And I agree, I'm thinking that's what caused that "different" flavor I didn't care for. The recipe I used didn't list both, only the milk. I know you can use both though. The milk having more beneficial microbes compared to a water kefir, but Whether or not that aids in actual fermentation, I do not know. It was an experiment either way.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #172
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it took me awhile to notice this thread.

we do fermented veggies, cabbage, broccoli, carrot, turnip, radish in different combinations.
we bought several 1/2 gallon mason jars to use for crocks.
veggies get shredded in our food processor then added to the jars in layers with a layer of salt in between each layer. tamp down as you go, until you get to the top.
the full jars go in a shallow pan to ferment. we put caps with holes in the middle for an air lock to go in on the jars. we make up a brine solution to keep the veggies covered if more liquid is required.

important, do not use chlorinated water for the brine solution.
after about a week, the air locks come off, and screw caps go on, and jars can go into the fridge.

fermented food is very healthy.
go to any pharmacy, and check out their probiotics.
check out the prices. some in the $20-30 range have 25-30 billion beneficial bacteria.
in a serving of fermented veggies, you have around a trillion beneficial bacteria.
once you have your supplies, it is a cheap, nutritious way to eat.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #173
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

How do you make the holes in the caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
it took me awhile to notice this thread.

we do fermented veggies, cabbage, broccoli, carrot, turnip, radish in different combinations.
we bought several 1/2 gallon mason jars to use for crocks.
veggies get shredded in our food processor then added to the jars in layers with a layer of salt in between each layer. tamp down as you go, until you get to the top.
the full jars go in a shallow pan to ferment. we put caps with holes in the middle for an air lock to go in on the jars. we make up a brine solution to keep the veggies covered if more liquid is required.

important, do not use chlorinated water for the brine solution.
after about a week, the air locks come off, and screw caps go on, and jars can go into the fridge.

fermented food is very healthy.
go to any pharmacy, and check out their probiotics.
check out the prices. some in the $20-30 range have 25-30 billion beneficial bacteria.
in a serving of fermented veggies, you have around a trillion beneficial bacteria.
once you have your supplies, it is a cheap, nutritious way to eat.

keith
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2016   #174
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Someone tried my fermented cucumber and Fresno pepper pickles today.
The first word out of their mouth was wow these are good.

Worth
Old February 21, 2016   #175
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I bet they are, Worth!
Old February 21, 2016   #176
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Someone tried my fermented cucumber and Fresno pepper pickles today.
The first word out of their mouth was wow these are good.

Worth

My mouth just watered!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #177
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Worth, have you ever thought to try ferment hardboiled eggs? I finally did it, (after a year of thinking about it - sSlowpoke here) and I like it. As Always have to eat on my own, cause no one wants to try them. They don't taste fermented though, rather like salted eggs, after 12 days ( that's how long i had them in brine) salty brine gets into the egg whites a bit, but not all the way through. The important part is to use some starter from your other ferments, I added some kimchi juice to the brine and some celery. Started a new batch already. Cool part is the eggs don't go bad in the brine. If you like hardboiled eggs that is.
Old April 18, 2016   #178
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, have you ever thought to try ferment hardboiled eggs? I finally did it, (after a year of thinking about it - sSlowpoke here) and I like it. As Always have to eat on my own, cause no one wants to try them. They don't taste fermented though, rather like salted eggs, after 12 days ( that's how long i had them in brine) salty brine gets into the egg whites a bit, but not all the way through. The important part is to use some starter from your other ferments, I added some kimchi juice to the brine and some celery. Started a new batch already. Cool part is the eggs don't go bad in the brine. If you like hardboiled eggs that is.
I think it is going to take me a year too.
I have never heard of anything like that in my life.

Worth
Old April 18, 2016   #179
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Karrr, as to the eggs, that's a great idea to me in hopes that I can keep some homegrown through the winter when the hens stop.
How long have you kept them and do you refrigerate?
Thanks
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #180
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Karrr, as to the eggs, that's a great idea to me in hopes that I can keep some homegrown through the winter when the hens stop.
How long have you kept them and do you refrigerate?
Thanks
You can store raw eggs in (Water Glass) without refrigeration for a long time.

Worth