Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2014   #16
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

"Latah" looks interesting. Developed by University of Idaho. Named by Dr. Boe of the University of Idaho for the county in Idaho. More info on this tomato at Tatiana's most excellent tomatobase; http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/L...b=General_Info
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; December 29, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Grammer
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
Latah.
The plant is compact (~2 ft), perfect for containers, very early - I've grown Siberian along with Latah, both in containers - Latah was at least 2 weeks earlier.
And did I mention, it is a very productive tomato? It has more fruits than leaves - and this is not an exaggeration, the whole plant looks like a heap of tomatoes with few leaves sticking out of it.
For that reason you have to provide a good support – all those masses of green tomatoes are pulling the plant apart. Next year, I will probably use a cage – stakes don’t work very well.
Taste is very decent too. This is a determinate variety.
One of my Latah's I grew this summer:
Latah to me really enjoy. I want it to grow in 2016. Will you have some seeds to trade? Thanks.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carrot-like and Scoresby Dwarf were the earliest of the determinates, (although not really earlier than many indeterminates), but while the flavor was decent it was nothing special. 'Normal-tasting' I would say. Nuthing really spectacular, compared to blacks and yellows
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I received some Early Wonder in last year's swap. Is it as good as Early Wonder Pink?

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I received some Early Wonder in last year's swap. Is it as good as Early Wonder Pink?

Linda

My seeds from the swap came labeled Early Wonder and it wasn't until Gary asked if I had gotten the red or the pink that I learned there were two. A check of the skin color determined I had the pink one.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's cool! I wonder if mine are pink too. Guess I should try them out.

Thanks,

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2015   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Gary, thank you, I didn't see your post on my first scan of this thread. I was just scraping up some seeds from the last swap as I found a pack of Siberian and have never trialed that. Still room for a few more to try this spring and I'm looking forward to see what you are sending .

Perhaps the warmer winters we had the last two years before last, where early and mid season tomatoes ripened at the same time, took some of the edge off of early varities. Winter started late this year but its been unusually cold and then it moderates, then back below zero. I'll be prepared spring whenever it comes.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 1, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #23
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I started the earlies in two phases, about a week apart. They're all doing very well in their deep insert six packs (love those). I'm late in potting them up as they are approaching 6 inches+ but tonight is the night. I started way too many thanks to our enablers Tormato and crew and may have to beg the bakery for more buckets :

Sophies Choice
Forest Fire
Chalks Early Jewel
Early Sweden
Fireball
Jagodka
Siletz
Glacier
Latiah

Stupice, my annual early that goes in ground and will be the benchmark this year. Last year I also grew Bloody Butcher and Matina in ground, both good inground producers and went all season. My prior two container earlies (beaver Lodge and Early Annie) were thumbs down due to lack of taste and/or early blight.

The remainder of the batch that Tormato sent is earmarked for next year's trial, especially Worth's favorite Lime Green Salad. Wish I had started that one but was being good.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Green Go, that is beautiful.

My suggestion: I wont't grow any indeterminant in container. Determinants is fine. So I suggest Siletz. It is very early and compact DET. Another one s Silvery Fir Tree.
I am going to grow about 6 dwarves in containers this season. It is hard to manage big plants in pots.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote