Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old November 25, 2009   #46
RJW
Tomatovillian™

California is surprisingly simple, if I understand it correctly. As long as the plants are not shipped, are sold exclusively in my home county, and I do not have commercial space, it's just a couple forms; one is an app to sell nursery plants, the other is an exemption from the $138 app fee for home based hobbyists. As long as I'm selling a food crop, there's no sales tax, so a seller's permit to collect and remit tax is unnecessary. I'm not sure a business license is necessary for seasonal sales when all sales are conducted from my driveway (the yard sale rule), but I have one for another hobby and can use it for both. I'm 90% sure that's all there is to it here.
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009   #47
dice
Tomatovillian™

1 gallon lightweight from Novosel:
http://www.novoselenterprises.com/pr...le.asp?ID=1540
Old November 29, 2009   #48
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

If I want to grow some larger toms in pots I use Nursery Supplies blow moulded trade gallon about $26/100 in my area.
6 3/4" x 6 1/2" 9.5 pots per cu ft mix.

Otherwise I use 4" square
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009   #49
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to be so late to respond but I have been out of the loop for a bit.

My year went pretty good. I did not know what to expect as a first timer.

My intention was to sell only at the local farmers market but I sold just as much by word of mouth from the house.

I used both commercial pots and plastic/foam drink cups and I dont think it mattered. I think most folks pick and choose based on what the plants look like and not what container it is in.

I thought folks were more willing to try "heirlooms" than I thought they would be.

Peppers are really popular. I will have more next time, especially hot ones.

I am also thinking about a small pvc hoop house. Nothing elaborate. In fact I am seriously thinking about putting it over the garden spot and taking it down at planting time. I am just looking to protect the seedlings from the elements during spring.

I buy my supplies from 2 places.

1) We have a nursery supply close that anyone can buy from. Best price around for potting mix, vermiculite, etc. And you can just buy single bags. Pots, trays and such are by the box or case and still a good price.

But if I want less I use these guys.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/ I cant say they are the cheapest but I thought they were ok.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009   #50
RJW
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Seymour. I guess I'm going to start some peppers. I grew about 20 pepper plants this year and was planning less next year and more maters. I may as well see if they sell though.

A question for anyone. I only grew Cal Wonder Bells for sweet peppers and they were isolated from everything, so I think that seed is pure. On the other side of the property I grew Habs, Fresnos, Serranos and Anchos all in one garden, all OP. That seed concerns me from what I've read. Growing it for myself is one thing, but selling it is another, right? Should I be concerned about it?
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote