Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 4, 2014   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default No seeds at all?

So I picked the first tomato of a new heirloom variety I really want to save seeds for. This thing was really meaty inside, and I didn't see a lot of seeds and gel. I squished out whatever I could to ferment. But when done, there actually were NO seeds - NONE whatsoever? Huh? Has anyone ever had that happen?

This was the first fruit, I guess I am hoping later ones / different plants have plenty of seeds...
Old August 4, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

What was the variety?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
So I picked the first tomato of a new heirloom variety I really want to save seeds for. This thing was really meaty inside, and I didn't see a lot of seeds and gel. I squished out whatever I could to ferment. But when done, there actually were NO seeds - NONE whatsoever? Huh? Has anyone ever had that happen?

This was the first fruit, I guess I am hoping later ones / different plants have plenty of seeds...
Yes, I've seen few to no seeds in first fruits from time to time and i know which variety you're talking about.

Linda, Tracy and I have been working on a name for it and right now it doesn't have one, although I've been a bad girl in not getting back to her ASAP in continuing to discuss it. The problem is that the person she got the seeds from keeps wanting to change the name.

Carolyn
Old August 4, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Call it Seedless Giant AKA Self Terminating.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It's pretty common in my northern garden for fruits that set early in the season to have few and sometimes no seeds. I attribute it to cold nights early in the season. Later fruit on the same plant always have a normal number of seeds
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Hahaha Worth.

OK, great, that is a relief, I should have luck with later fruits then. I would have been very displeased to get no seeds from this one!
Old August 4, 2014   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Although I hope cold nights isn't the reason, as half of July it seems it's been going down into the 50's! aargh
Old August 4, 2014   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

On July 7th, 2011 I harvested the earliest tomato ever from my garden. Not only the earliest, but far exceeding the earliness of any other tomato that I ever grew. I was super hyped and put it on the table at the farmer's market with a price tag suitable to the amount of labor and materials necessary to produce it. A local seed company could have made a fortune from selling early tomatoes that thrive in my climate. Nobody wanted to rise to the occasion so I took it home with me. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that it had zero seeds inside!!!

A week later the plants produced fruits with plenty of seeds. I shared the heck out of the seeds...

Last edited by joseph; August 4, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote