Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 27, 2010   #61
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Carol, here's the description from the source (darwinslair) over on the Seed Saver's Board. Note his spelling has a "u" in place of the "v"

"Joe Lauerer's Pink German Eggs (from client that died 16 years ago, family brought them from Germany near the turn of the century, Good as a brandywine, size and shape of an egg)"
Old December 27, 2010   #62
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I looked at my original notes and I saw that possibly I mistook the u for a v. Sometimes hard to distinguish if your writting isn't really clear, as mine isn't.

I'm not sure if I processed it or my helper did. I thought I did the second batch and it was a bigger tomato. But I may have been thinking of the Terhune which is bigger. Both were processed around the same time.

Thanks for the help with the variety info.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2010   #63
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda and Carol, for the information. It sounds like a very nice
tomato. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #64
hillbillyBob
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to getting my order togeter with Carol, thanks for posting your links
hillbillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #65
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Order received in perfect condition (as always) - thank you! One quick question - Would you remind me about Kang Bing? I am drawing an utter blank & can't seem to find the description anywhere.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #66
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yah, I thought it was a more known variety myself. I just looked on the SSE yearbook site and on Tataniana's and Kang Bing isn't listed on either.

If I'm not mixing it up with something else, Kang Bing is a productive 2 bite yellow
cherry. Roughly ping pong ball size.

I got it in a trade (maybe 2 trades) last year after I mentioned I wanted more cherries or small fruited varieties that I could take to my farmers markets. i'm not allowed to sample anything I have to cut at my market so that eliminates all the big varieties. But I can give a sample of a whole small variety no problem. So during the summer I take lots of the great tasting cherries and smaller varieties and let people taste whatever they want.

I'm pretty sure Kang Bing is 1 of the new varieties we had last year.

Others that I can remember off hand --

Porter Dark Cherry is a nice pink
Silke is a productive red cherry
Fox Cherry is a nice red cherry
Sara's Galapagos large -- not the small red currant it should be, obviously crossed, so I added "large" to the name
AAA Sweet Solano and Sweet Carneros Pink are 2 new cherry or slightly larger varieties from WBF
Brandywine Cherry flattened mini beef oversized cherry, odd flavor
Egg Yolk, similar to Kang Bing but a darker yellow if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe just a bit bigger too

Many more I'm spacing on now. Oh yah, Dr Carolyn and Green Doctors Frosted and Yellow Submarine. But I know there are more too.

I will be the Cherry Queen at the market this summer. LOL

Carol
Old January 26, 2011   #67
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

My plan is to be Cherry Queen of the Beach for many of the same reasons. We will see what Kang Bing turns out to be!

Old January 26, 2011   #68
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/

Carol, Adam has Kang Bing listed for 2011 and it isn't a cherry, but you were close . A Google search brought up some other descriptions of it as well.

About poor Sara.

If what you have is a cross and thus doesn't represent the variety do you still feel comfotable listing it as Sara's Galapagos and just addding the word "large" to it?

In a way I feel like a momma to that variety b'c when Amy Goldman brought it back from the Galapagos she sent me the fruits and I took the seeds right out of those ripe fruits, sowed them and had a good yield that very first year and SSE listed it that Fall.

Since I'd asked her to bring me back the salt tolerant L. cheesmanni, which is yellow, I wondered what I had, which was red, so I called Dr. Chatelet at the Rick Center at UC Davis and since I knew the island it came from he was able to tell me that it was probably a stable interspecies cross between a currant and something else, but not a true currant. Some researchers from Britain were also doing DNA analysis on specimens from the same island and Dr. Chatelet knew about that data as well.

Anyway, I do look out for Sara b'c I've been with her from the beginning and have been offering seed for it in my seed offers for many years, including this year, b'c I've grown it many times, but if what you have isn't what Sara is supposed to be I wonder if you should be using the variety name Sara's Galapagos to describe what it isn't.
Old January 26, 2011   #69
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Yes, I knew Kang Bing was larger than a typical cherry. I called it ping pong ball size. I don't remember it being egg shaped. It did seem to be somewhat lighter yellow than Egg Yolk too.

As far as the Sara's goes, I finally got my envelope to you for the seeds and the real Sara's is on my list.

I checked what Tania has for Sara's last summer and we both got our samples from the same person. What Tania has is also not the usual small currant type. I haven't had a chance to talk to her about using some other name. The best I could do to let people know it has Sara's background but isn't the true Sara was to call it "large". We know that the currant types are prone to crossing easily and I'm sure tha's what happened with the seeds we both got.

If you have a better suggestion, I'd be willing to go with something else for my larger variety.

It is still a wildly rampant plant with LOTS of small cherries tho about twice the size of a currant type. The leaves aren't quite that typical rounded shape that currants have tho aren't quite like a regular tomato either.

One reason I requested the true Sara's is obviously to grow the true Sara's but also so I can grow them near each other to see how similar or different they actually are.

Carol
Old January 26, 2011   #70
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carol, I just checked Tania's site and she says nothing about Sara not being sara but also says she's sold out for 2011 and I wonder if she did that b'c he just wasn't sure it was Sara. I couldn't tell about the fruit size b'c I had nothing to compare it with.

So you both got your seeds from the person in MI.

Tania has sent me a list of older varieties that she would like me to send her b'c she doesn't feel they are correct for the variety and I'll try to do that but not until I'm through packing seeds for this seed offer.

Sara was not on that list.

So perhaps you and Tania might want to discuss the wrong Sara's that you say both of you have. She describes my info from Dr. Chatelet and Sara is not a true currant but is currant sized. It's the best wee fruited red one I've ever grown.

And I'll look for your SASE and note that my Sara seeds are 2006 so might need a little tweaking with soaking and double sowing but I'll include plenty of seed.

And you've just remoinded me that soon I have to put a notice somewhere that I can't accept requests mailed after a certain date. I have less than 25 to still do and expect to have all of them done and mailed by Monday, which has been my goal all along.

I put away certain of my seeds after the seed offer is over and I'm not in a position to keep those out forever, especially since I have to convert to SSE listed varieties.

Sandhill should also have the correct Sara b'c I think I sent it to Glenn, or possibly Amy did, who got her seeds initially from me. When you e-mail Tania you might want to ask her if she wants me to send her some Sara seeds along with her requests from the seed offer, so if you could do that in the next day or two or three and either have her or you get back to me that would be great.

My own strong feeling, as I'm sure you've read, is that if a variety is wrong it shouldn't be listed for sale.
Old January 26, 2011   #71
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I just PMd Tania about the Sara's issue.

BTW, no one has ordered the Sara's Large from me yet so none of the seed has gone out from me.

Carol
Old February 5, 2011   #72
dice
Tomatovillian™

You could call it "Lost Cherry" (Not Sara's Galapagos), after
the wandering island in the tv series that ended sometime
last year or the year before.

Kang Bing was a quite vigorous RL plant with more-or-less egg
sized, pointy yellow fruit that tasted a lot like Azoychka to me.
Old March 10, 2011   #73
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Received my seed purchase yesterday. Quick and inexpensive delivery and ofcourse the Bonus seeds. Thanks so much.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #74
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit that doing a good job of getting orders out quickly has been a challenge this year. "Things" keep getting in the way.

I've had more than my share of sick days this winter and so has my Mom who I keep an eye on even tho she lives by herself in a retirement community.

I'm trying to get orders out within a week but a few times it took a bit longer. I hope things will smooth out a bit when I start getting out of the house and spend some time in the greenhouse. That always seems to help cure the winter mood issues I often have.

Thanks everyone for understanding that everything doesn't always go as smoothly as we hope.

Carol
Old March 14, 2011   #75
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Glad you are there Carol - chin up girl, spring is almost here (really!). Thank you for the wonderful varieties you sent back in January. Some things are worth waiting for, like you!