Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 19, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Saving Heirloom Tomato Seeds Expiration Question

While reading countless posts, threads, and just about everything else here and online, I couldn't help but read about people saving heirloom tomato seeds. I have seen where some sites say that the seeds only last a year or so, and others say they are good-to-go for 10 or more years.

I have saved seeds from other vegetables and planted them the next year without problem (Except okra) and this year, I took seeds directly out of cantaloupes we grew and let 2 of them basically rot and then planted their seeds on August 10, 2014. I had to thin them out yesterday. It looks like most if not all of those seeds came up. They probably don't have time to grow and produce, but I get to experiment and see what happens. If nothing else, they can be composted or turned under.

Just wondering how long heirloom tomato seeds last while having a high germination rate?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I received seeds for two heirloom varieties that were 13 and 15 years old. The member had stored them in a freezer. I planted 6 each seeds from each variety and had 100% germination!

A lot depends on seed preperation and storage techniques. And then the seed prep prior to planting. There are some techniques used with older seeds to enhance germination. In the case of the above I did soak the seeds in a potassium nitrate solution prior to planting.

I think 3-5 years is a good starting point to answer your question. If a seed saver wants to perpetuate the variety he will start thinking about regrowing it after 5 years to renew his stock.

Ami
Old August 19, 2014   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Ami. Somewhere around 5 years is a good middle ground, and it will always depend on storage techniques and environment. In order to freeze seeds for storage, the water content must be quite low. Otherwise, the freezing will cause the ice crystals to destroy the seeds.

Most of us do a good job of drying seeds and then store them in paper envelopes or old pharmacy bottles. Personally, I now use the pharmacy bottles and will sometimes put one of those desiccant thingies in to help keep things dry.

Even with all things seemingly equal, the best way to know how long a certain batch of seeds are lasting is to do a germination test. That's right. Just put a few into your choice of growing mediums and see how many (what percentage) come up.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
While reading countless posts, threads, and just about everything else here and online, I couldn't help but read about people saving heirloom tomato seeds. I have seen where some sites say that the seeds only last a year or so, and others say they are good-to-go for 10 or more years.
I'd like to know what sites those are so we can correct them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Just wondering how long heirloom tomato seeds last while having a high germination rate?
7-10 years. Much longer (decades!) if seeds are frozen in foil packs after being allowed to completely dry. The lower moisture the better.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I've had ninety percent germination rates from ten year old seeds keep in a drawer.
It all depends on the person starting the seeds and what they do to sprout them.

You can take two people with the same seeds and both will report totally different germination rates.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2014   #6
JimM_SC
Tomatovillian™

I've had 75% germination with seeds that ere 13 years old and kept in paper envelopes at room temperature. IMO 3 to 5 yrs. should be no problem if seeds are properly dried.
Jim
JimM_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM_SC View Post
I've had 75% germination with seeds that ere 13 years old and kept in paper envelopes at room temperature. IMO 3 to 5 yrs. should be no problem if seeds are properly dried.
Jim
That's because they are Texas tomato seeds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote