Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 10, 2018   #496
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Canning Season has started for me. 6 pints of whole tomatoes. 7 pints of salsa, 2 pints of jalapeno slices, 4 pints of Bread & Butter Pickles, and 3 quart bags of dehydrated tomatoes. Not bad for an old coot.

MikeInCypress

Nice going! Feels good to see those jars on the shelf!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #497
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I canned Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Rhubarb/Orange Marmalade yesterday. I do have a green Glacier tomato!
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #498
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I canned 9 pints of tomato sauce yesterday.
Old June 10, 2018   #499
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Cherries on huge Rainier cherry tree are starting to ripen. Will be making Rainier Cherry Amaretto Jam, which is out of this world.
Old June 10, 2018   #500
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

YUM Barb!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #501
imp
Tomatovillian™

What does rhubarb taste like?

Whistech, good going! Like I said, there is a nice glow of satisfaction in seeing those jars on the pantry shelf!

And, you Miz CoronaBarb, I just hate a teeny bit! Rainer cherries are my super favorite and you don't want to even know how terribly expensive they are here in Texas; the jam sounds yummy, you mean thang! LOL!
Old June 11, 2018   #502
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Rhubarb is very sour. Any recipe involves a lot of sugar. The taste is hard to describe, maybe a tiny hint of citrus. I dare you to bite into a stalk and not make a face.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #503
coronabarb

imp, I know how expensive they can be. I lived most of my life in So Cal where the only cherry growing area was in a higher foothill area. That is where I tasted my first Rainier cherry. But too expensive to buy in the grocery stores. I could not believe it when the tree, and it's huge had its crop my first year here. I have a rhubarb patch too, which I had never had before. It's not something most people eat in So Cal. It is hugely popular here in rural Oregon.
Old June 11, 2018   #504
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Rhubarb is very sour. Any recipe involves a lot of sugar. The taste is hard to describe, maybe a tiny hint of citrus. I dare you to bite into a stalk and not make a face.

No rhubarb around here, LOL, so safe from that dare!

Corona Barb, you need to post that recipe, maybe if I hold my mouth just right and all, I could make a small, batch to torment myself with.

BTW, mango pineapple jam is good too.
Old June 17, 2018   #505
salix
Tomatovillian™

And so is rhubarb - pineapple jam...
Old June 17, 2018   #506
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm about to start canning season here. Local Strawberries are just coming in....and I usually wait about 2 weeks, so that the price goes down as the quantity available goes up.

The raspberry cane I planted last year have their first flower buds....boding well for some fruit. The one cane from last year has "bushed-out" a fair amount, but I don't think I'll get enough to can anything JUST from my own plant. So will have to purchase some more.

I scored 17 different basils and 7 different mints this year in plant swaps and purchases. So will be using many for jams and jellies and other stuff.

I've got orders from a few local chefs for my smoked hot pepper powder blend (includes some ghosts), my roasted hot pepper powder blend, my "mild" hot pepper powder blend, and some rub blends I've made. A friend of mine bought some to give to other chef friends as Xmas gifts and they've all asked for more....including some of my specialty jellies/jams and my pickles. One chef wants to learn how to do the Armenian Tourshi and Dill pickles.....lol....in quantity. Told him, if he wants to do quantity I need access to a larger kitchen....so he offered use of his commercial one on one of the days the restaurant is closed. Yipppppeeeee.....lots of counters, lots of burners, and time to put the team together like the old days, when we'd bang out 300+ Litres in a day in my Mum's kitchen which was designed with cooking in quantity in mind.

My knees aren't looking forward to canning season, but the rest of me. I've decided I need to get a small storage locker for the stuff that's for sale....too many jars in the small cold cellar to organise easily. I figure I did about close to 40 dozen 250ml jars last year, 15 dozen 500ml jars, and about 15 dozen 1L jars of jams, jellies, salsas, pickles, caponata, and more...and about 6 dozen 1500ml jars (pickles only).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #507
coronabarb

imp, it's the Ball sweet cherry jam recipe that includes amaretto. This is similar...I don't use the salt or spices and sub Rainier for sweet dark cherries. I don't sterilize my jars so I process for 10 mins.

https://www.mrswages.com/recipe/blue...-amaretto-jam/
Old June 17, 2018   #508
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Barb, looks really good. Bookmarked it for later.
Old July 18, 2018   #509
encore
Tomatovillian™

ok worth! or anyone else who would know! found this maid of honor pressure canner gauge, so how would one read this? seems to me that the bigger darker #'s are lbs. of pressure, and the smaller ones are temps, in degs. F, if so then when it gets to 250 degs. it's at 15 lbs. of pressure?---tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (126.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (113.5 KB, 42 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018   #510
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
ok worth! or anyone else who would know! found this maid of honor pressure canner gauge, so how would one read this? seems to me that the bigger darker #'s are lbs. of pressure, and the smaller ones are temps, in degs. F, if so then when it gets to 250 degs. it's at 15 lbs. of pressure?---tom
Yes you are correct if at sea level.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote