Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old January 27, 2021   #1
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Default Rutgers, what are they like?

I've just heard of Rutgers for the first time. No wonder as I am from Europe and quite new here. I have looked up some info on them and got interested. Heirloom toms from as far back as the 1930s. It's like learning the US history through tomatoes.

My question is: how patriotic do you feel about them? If I wanted to try them here, why should or shouldn't I do it? Thank you.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm not American, so not patriotic to Rutgers (or even to the UK's Moneymaker for that matter - ha ha!)

I like tomatoes with sweet, yet compex taste.

I kept hearing about the "old fashioned taste" of Rutgers which sounded like a good thing to me, so I grew them once and found them acidic

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Milan, when Linda writes that it's sour to her, believe it. Already with several tomatoes advertised as sweet (eg Jaune Flamée, etc.) I agreed with her that it is also sour for me. It may be sweet somewhere around NYC, but Start F1 is definitely better for us. I know this from my own experience.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #4
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both.
Where are the patriots to defend their national pride?

Vladimir, I know Start F1 is the best of all, but it's nice to make sure of that.I wonder if any of our testees can get at least as close as to catch the scent.
Milan HP
Old January 28, 2021   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Thank you both.
Where are the patriots to defend their national pride?

Vladimir, I know Start F1 is the best of all, but it's nice to make sure of that.I wonder if any of our testees can get at least as close as to catch the scent.
Milan HP
If you're interested and would like to grow Rutgers, I probably still have seeds somewhere at home.
Vladimír
Old January 28, 2021   #6
Hillbillygardner
Tomatovillian™

It’s always been hit and miss with me with Rutgers. I live in the Ozarks so we have. Hot humid summers, sometimes cool wet weeks, you never know. I grew in 2018 and had dismal luck, poor production but decent flavor. For sure acidic but was great on sandwiches. 2017 they took off like gang busters, tasted great and canned 18 quarts. They held up great in canning and used in sauces and chili.
Hillbillygardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2021   #7
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Not this year, Vladimir, but thank you anyway.
Milan HP
Old January 29, 2021   #8
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to say that I have lived in New Jersey all my life, been growing tomatoes on/off for some 40 years & can't tell you how Rutgers tastes!
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2021   #9
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting. Why is that? Have you ever grown them? Everyone has their priorities. Don't worry I won't consider you less patriotic for that. I haven't grown more than 90% of existing Czech varieties.

Milan HP
Old January 29, 2021   #10
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillygardner View Post
It’s always been hit and miss with me with Rutgers. I live in the Ozarks so we have. Hot humid summers, sometimes cool wet weeks, you never know. I grew in 2018 and had dismal luck, poor production but decent flavor. For sure acidic but was great on sandwiches. 2017 they took off like gang busters, tasted great and canned 18 quarts. They held up great in canning and used in sauces and chili.
Thank you.
If I understand right, you are saying that it's always a toss of a coin to grow them. But that's something that we are pretty much used to over here. Some years are hot and dry and then a cold rainy one comes. And brings late blight as a rule. Or two or three on end. That's how the cookie crumbles.
Milan HP

Last edited by Milan HP; January 29, 2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Old January 30, 2021   #11
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

I bought 2 of the ten cent packages of seed they used to sell about 30 years ago. Planted both packages, one each of rutgers & marglobe. Got 65 plants. They were fairly productive & I thought they tasted good but if you want a sweet tomato they probably shouldn't be your first choice.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2021   #12
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you.
The point is that for certain purposes, e.g. canning for tomato sauce, you don't need sweet tomatoes. The main thing is full tomato taste.

Milan HP
Old February 12, 2021   #13
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rutger's Select about 5 years back when someone sent me a generous amount of seed. I don't think it got a fair shake. I'm remembering one plant in the brand new raised bed, and a row or two of Florida weave that didn't get watered at another garden. I grew it as a canner but didn't get much noted production.

Every time someone else mentions seeds I already have, it makes me want to find a place for them in the garden...
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #14
loeb
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant of Rutgers so far, [just sprouted], so if everything goes well I will be able to tell something about it But as Hillbillygardner have mentioned, a lot depends on a season..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rutgers in 2016. I can't say today how they tasted then. It must have been average, because I haven't grown them since.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rutgers.jpg (84.1 KB, 107 views)

Tags
heirloom tomatoes , pros and cons , rutgers