Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2019   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Onions!

I've grown Texas 1015 yellow onions for many years with excellent results. This year, my vendor only had one bunch of 1015 seedlings left when I went in, but he had many cases of a variety which became available last year named Texas Legend. The vendor said all comments from people who grew them last year, report they are much better than the 1015. I bought the single bunch of 1015 and ten bunches of the Texas Legend onions.

Last years growers were right. The Legend onions were much larger, ready for harvest two weeks earlier, very sweet, very rare bolting and supposedly can be stored much longer. Many were large enough for one slice to cover a hamburger bun. The percentage of jumbo onions was much higher.

I harvested the jumbo onions two weeks ago, the mediums, last week; and under two inches today to prevent sun scald.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Within the same variety there can be a large difference in storage quality. The smaller/tighter the neck, the better the storage, from what I've seen and heard.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019   #3
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I liked the way all of the onion tops fell over and started drying within a couple if days of each other. The tops had dried so completely by harvest time, it was hard to tell which tops had been large and which had been small.

I also liked the way the onions pushed themselves out of the soil as they grew. They grew so forcefully, they were lifting my soaker hoses out of the soil as they grew.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sounds exciting.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019   #5
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Have to try new things or you never discover anything. Half the enjoyment for me is constantly trying new varieties. And often you find something hyped up wont work well in your growing set-up as I discovered with Sungold tomatoes. I don't rate them at all as a plant, I don't know about the taste yet but the plants are poor for me.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2019   #6
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great year for onions here also. Good luck with them.