Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 14, 2018   #151
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I wish I could say that I've done everything I could for these plants, but I can't help but wonder if I have done anything right?
In all honesty, I have that same thought each and every year... and I've been container growing for a while now.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #152
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I'm not following a strict routine by any stretch of the emagination.
Worth
You and me both. I almost never even TRY to follow a strict schedule. Thought I might this year but....oh well.
Bottom line, whenever you feed the tomatoes, they gratefully acknowledge it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #153
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
I recently tried an idea . I had a bunch of coffee bags and wanted to use them in some form. My media is Coco coir, perlite & clay pellets. So when my transplants were ready. I decided to have a go at it. I used these stainless wire chaffing dish racks as a form with zipties and filled in the media. The transplants were a success and have quickly taken off. I can only fit 2-3 plants in each but between the jute (burlap) and the coco coir, it seems like a great combo.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #154
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Your plants sound like they have already gotten more TLC than mine get in an entire season, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #155
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
Sue it has become very exciting to see things working well. It has had some heartbreak and alot of learning also. My tiny garden has given a sense of accomplishment. Hydroponics is not as easy as a utuber might tell you. I wish the best for you and your gardening.
Stay happy,
Tom
Old May 15, 2018   #156
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
In all honesty, I have that same thought each and every year... and I've been container growing for a while now.

I think I will too because I know how each year can vary in weather here (Much less, what I mess up )

I'm hoping to finally start building new cages for the tomato plants tomorrow. They already have old ones there that have seen better days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #157
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Your plants sound like they have already gotten more TLC than mine get in an entire season, lol.
Sue,
It really seems your trying and doing what you can. I saw your seedlings post and it can be a mind bender sometimes. Thats the reason I gave up on ALL potting mix / garden soil ,including those composts in a bag. Compressed coco coir, perlite & clay balls has been great for me ...so far. We try what we think will work and go from there. My sister lives in the Catskills of N.Y. and starts some seeds in the house, but mostly just puts her seeds in a row and... Ka blam her garden is a sight to behold. She says it's the pig manure. I don't know the finer details, but good luck. And don't get down. Just pile more seeds on until something catches. Then Viola ,veggies...
Aloha and happy gardening
Old May 15, 2018   #158
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well thank you, I appreciate the encouragement.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #159
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I didn't get to work on the cages today. Instead, I asked our younger son (28 y/o) to take me to town after he had worked all night. I get confused about his days off - because they are nights off. Anyway, we did get to spend some quality time together. I asked him to take me to town because I needed to return a 65" TV to Walmart, and it doesn't fit in our PT Cruiser. It fits fine in his Chevy Silverado. We did bring back a 65 inch 4K TV for someone who uses a TV most for gaming and Accuweather/NOAA, but Jan and the grandchildren will enjoy the other uses. It's Roku and has Netflix ready to go.

I also needed to get MORE No Float cypress mulch. I should have ordered out a 12 yards semi of it . It seems like it at least. I do need to control splash-up as much as I can.

I know we all garden differently, and most times it's for so many different reasons. Not always to grow a crop, but sometimes it's just to be able to grow in many different meanings. (Think about it.)

I still want to put a decorative stone boarder around the small garden without concrete and mortar. I am at least a 7th generation stone mason according to the family tree. I like seeing stone as natural as possible.

The tomato plants are growing well for as late as I planted them. I want them to over-summer here in Texas. If they can - Then I will try not to brag, and give credit to those who have helped along the way. If they fail, I'll let you know.

Today, this old computer took many tries to load windows 7. I may be missing for a while. I'll need to come up with the funds to buy a new one. But it might last a few more decades? It's kind of like us.
Old May 16, 2018   #160
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The computer is working fine today. "I think I can...I think I can "

I had to water all of the plants today. I used 3/4 gallon of water/food per five gallon container. It was 91F today, and some of the plants drooped a very little, but still - I figured I had better water more than I had been. Friday is forecasted at 96F with high humidity (A record). I'll be paying very close attention to the plants. I can provide shade if needed.

A question for you all who use a similar container and use the 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate mix. In hot conditions 90F+ heat, "How much water/mix to use daily?"
__________________________________________________ ____________

This part is about the tomato plants that are planted directly in the soil in a completely separate raised bed: Those plants are already showing yellowing leaves low on the plants. I know the raised beds have RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3, and some of the plants are showing signs of it. The super hybrids FFF,N do not have yellowing leaves. All of the super hybrids are DET, and I'm not really familiar with growing DET plants - just what I have read. To me, it seems like they are not growing fast enough.
Old May 16, 2018   #161
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The computer is working fine today. "I think I can...I think I can "

I had to water all of the plants today. I used 3/4 gallon of water/food per five gallon container. It was 91F today, and some of the plants drooped a very little, but still - I figured I had better water more than I had been. Friday is forecasted at 96F with high humidity (A record). I'll be paying very close attention to the plants. I can provide shade if needed.

A question for you all who use a similar container and use the 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate mix. In hot conditions 90F+ heat, "How much water/mix to use daily?"

It stays the same, you do not adjust for anything weather related. You use it as needed, every time you water. I am watering twice a day now, take a look at my plants.
__________________________________________________ ____________

This part is about the tomato plants that are planted directly in the soil in a completely separate raised bed: Those plants are already showing yellowing leaves low on the plants. I know the raised beds have RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3, and some of the plants are showing signs of it. The super hybrids FFF,N do not have yellowing leaves. All of the super hybrids are DET, and I'm not really familiar with growing DET plants - just what I have read. To me, it seems like they are not growing fast enough.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #162
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Salt, you're way over thinking/worrying about growing in containers. Feed them like Mark said and let them grow.

No amount of over watering will stop them from dropping, it's the UV rays and unseasonably warm temps this time of year. It happens and the plants will adjust as they get used it. Try to keep the buckets cool if possible, the sun is hot enough to warp six packs I had outside laying on the ground. YEAH, it's that hot!!

We just broke 2 heat record days in a row. It's gonna be a hot year and the tomatoes will stop developing soon if this record heat keeps up. Night time lows are in the low 70's already and that's too hot for May.
Old May 17, 2018   #163
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Salt, you're way over thinking/worrying about growing in containers. Feed them like Mark said and let them grow.

No amount of over watering will stop them from dropping, it's the UV rays and unseasonably warm temps this time of year. It happens and the plants will adjust as they get used it. Try to keep the buckets cool if possible, the sun is hot enough to warp six packs I had outside laying on the ground. YEAH, it's that hot!!

We just broke 2 heat record days in a row. It's gonna be a hot year and the tomatoes will stop developing soon if this record heat keeps up. Night time lows are in the low 70's already and that's too hot for May.
Rajun, you're right. When I noticed the droopy look - it did make me question if I was watering too little. I didn't realize that it was 91F and should have looked at the thermometer that's only 8 or so feet away from the plants. (Beside the same set of windows I was looking out at the plants.) Yeah, the average highs and lows for May are 84° / 63° and the weather is more like it is here in June 92° / 71°. Friday will be more like July averages here 96° / 75°. Averages are only that though. I've lived in this area for all of life and seen how temperatures vary from year-to-year.

Yes, I do overthink/worry about doing things right with the container gardening. I have many reasons/excuses for it - not to justify it, but to show that it can work. After years of growing plants in RKN and Fusarium wilt ridden soil, I'm sure you can understand why I am reluctant to believe it'll work.
Old May 17, 2018   #164
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark wrote: "It stays the same, you do not adjust for anything weather related. You use it as needed, every time you water. I am watering twice a day now, take a look at my plants."

Your plants look wonderful, and thank you for your professional advice.
Old May 17, 2018   #165
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes, three replies in-a-row. This one isn't quoting anyone. I looked at the 5 gallon buckets today while watering - In a post earlier, I jokingly wrote about them being Texas sized beer cups, but in a way, that's what they are. Bottom watering could be possible. It's probably how Earth Boxes work? (I've never seen one in real life.) If so, that would give me more confidence of keeping out the soil borne diseases, and it would be much easier to water. Something like the picture on the left?

Your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottom watering.jpg (99.1 KB, 111 views)