Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 23, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Filling in the gaps

Thanks to damping off and squirrels, I've got gaps of nothingness about 1 sq foot in size sprinkled amongst my peas. I sowed them on Feb 4, and the plants are about 2-3" tall.

Can I fill in the gaps by sowing some more seeds? Or will the other plants shade/choke them out before they can get a stand?
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

sure. go ahead and resow. soak the seed overnight and they will germinate faster. you will have a longer harvest period. some folks sow this way this on purpose.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #3
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

yeah, if you just stick some seeds in those spots they should germinate fine and catch up quickly.

also, you probably knew this, but in the case of corn and peas, the more wrinkled the seed the more sugar content they have, but there is a downside. Really wrinkled seed has poorer germination, especially in cool damp soil. The starchy soup peas or starchy corn has an advantage in those conditions. Or you can just over sow or resow and fill in the gaps.

Last edited by Keen101; February 27, 2017 at 12:20 AM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #4
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
yeah, if you just stick some seeds in those spots they should germinate fine and catch up quickly.

also, you probably knew this, but in the case of corn and peas, the more wrinkled the seed the more sugar content they have, but there is a downside. Really wrinkled seed has poorer germination, especially in cool damp soil. The starchy soup peas or starchy corn has an advantage in those conditions. Or you can just over sow or resow and fill in the gaps.
I resowed. My problems were from seedcorn maggots.. So I may have to re-resow
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I always resow any gaps but last year I planted my peas a lot closer than recommended and I intended to thin them if necessary. I couldn't bring myself to rip out the cute little plants and I got the biggest crop I have ever had. Peas do not mind growing close together. I use a trellis so they do not shade each other.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote