Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 25, 2010   #16
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
One that is supposed to be heat tolerant and able to take the humidity is "Creole". I'm growing it for the first time this year and will report later on its progress. With the early morning fog and the afternoon temps like they are right now, I have the environment to test it.

Ted
Ted I am growing Creole this year too on my upper level deck and it get the heat for sure 100+ on the hot days and we have lots of humid air here in MN during the summer months so I will post my results as well.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #17
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Interested to know of your results on Creole as well, Craig and Ted!

Craig, your deck condition sounds like what I have - up high, and plenty of humidity. Tomatoes didn't really like the excess moisture last year... About 15 fruits from Bull's Heart, 2 from Heat Wave, 5 from BHN 444 and a dozen collected off Black from Tula, about 5-6 from Valencia.

To contrast of the deck - Black from Tula and Bull's Heart in the garden were continuous producers all season long, even during the hottest months (and awful humidity in VA)

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #18
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
Interested to know of your results on Creole as well, Craig and Ted!

Craig, your deck condition sounds like what I have - up high, and plenty of humidity. Tomatoes didn't really like the excess moisture last year... About 15 fruits from Bull's Heart, 2 from Heat Wave, 5 from BHN 444 and a dozen collected off Black from Tula, about 5-6 from Valencia.

To contrast of the deck - Black from Tula and Bull's Heart in the garden were continuous producers all season long, even during the hottest months (and awful humidity in VA)

Regards,
D
I always had good production from heatwave II on my upper deck (2 stories up) it does not have the high fence like you had described just a normal post railing. NBD did ok up there last two years as well I think the dwarfs might to better witht he rugose foliage and smaller growth so the containers do not dry out as fast. Here is a link to a thread of the plants as of Sunday.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14592

Craig
Old May 25, 2010   #19
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Creole this year and am looking forward to seeing how it responds to the heat that we enjoy in LA in July and August.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #20
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

eva's purple ball has done good for me in the heat and humidity. grubbs green is showing some decent tolerance this year. stupice and jds special c-tex handle it very well also. our humidity is always above 75 percent during the growing season and usually near 100 percent. arkansas traveler has done "o.k." for me. another heat/humidity tolerant variety that has done well for me is mule team. good luck on the cross.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #21
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

What temperaturea affect the fruit set. Is it the day time temps above 95 or the night time temps about 70?
Old May 31, 2010   #22
travis
Tomatovillian™

Some of the varieties I've found to be heat tolerant are Chapman, Creole, Burgundy Traveler, Indian Stripe, Daniels, Bear Creek, Spudakee and many cherry varieties. Also, if you can get ahold of any Merced filial generations or various local varieties from India, those do well in heat too.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #23
liannenc
Tomatovillian™

Anyone care to update this thread as to what varieties are doing best in the heat this season? With 8 plants, production is crawling for me due to the long period of high temps we've been having here in NC. I was hoping that with twice as many plants as I had last year, I'd be swimming in tomatoes.... too bad that hasn't been the case.

I'm already planning for next year and want to be sure to include some heat-tolerant varieties-- heirloom or hybrid-- so I'd like to know what has been working for people this year.
liannenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #24
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by liannenc View Post
Anyone care to update this thread as to what varieties are doing best in the heat this season? With 8 plants, production is crawling for me due to the long period of high temps we've been having here in NC. I was hoping that with twice as many plants as I had last year, I'd be swimming in tomatoes.... too bad that hasn't been the case.

I'm already planning for next year and want to be sure to include some heat-tolerant varieties-- heirloom or hybrid-- so I'd like to know what has been working for people this year.
There are several doing better than I would have expected in this extreme heat. The top two in my garden this year for heat tolerance are

1. Indian Stripe
2. Russian Rose

Others that are holding their own Spudakee, Cowlick brandywine, Wessles purple pride, Big Cheef, in the cherry dept, Green Drs Frosted and German Lunchbox are still producing.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #25
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Earl of Edgecombe did well for me on the upper deck as well as what was or was not creole it set lots of fruit but were in the 3-6 ounce size not sure if it was the heat or the container that affected the size but taste was good. Planted a Large Red Cherry up there by mistake and it did very well but taste wise not so good. Also had an NAR up there but the temps I think affected the plant had about 8 fruit in the 1-1.5 pound range.

Next year I think I need to do dwarves up there as the 2 years I grew New Big Dwarf they did great and did not dry out so fast and tasted great.

Craig

Last edited by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms; August 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: grammer
Old August 24, 2010   #26
travis
Tomatovillian™

Discovered this year that Sioux makes a great parent with other red, known heat tolerant, canner varieties. Also seemed to combine to make earlier maturing tomatoes as well.

Traveler 76 from Victory Seeds also showed excellent heat tolerance.

KBX also continued to set fruit during 95+ temperatures.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2010   #27
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Sioux was one of the tomatoes I was growing during the summer of 1954 back on the family farm in Kansas. It was one of the earliest tomatoes to ripen for us and did well in the heat.

But it was also one of the main reasons I got into breeding tomatoes. Sioux cracked so bad that I just had to cross it with whatever we had the time. My great grandmother had a German tomato that she brought over from Graben Neudorf, Germany in 1888. Our families grew it along with the other kinds for many years. I crossed the Sioux with the German tomato. I did not get any better crack resistance but I liked the yields. I noticed that the hybrid did not keep the pink color of fruits, nor the potato leaf from the German tomato, but at least the hybrid did well in the summer heat.

Later on in the late 1950's I used Glamour to cross to the Sioux and got good crack resistance. Little did I know at the time that Glamour had Sioux as one of the original parents of it.

Heat resistance is not what I need for breeding where I live now. This morning it was 46 degrees. I have lots of tomato lines that need a bit more heat to set even one fruit, therefore, my selection criteria is much different than most folks.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2010   #28
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I know what you mean. I live in West Seattle, and my Yellow Pears have turned from emerald green to jade green finally. One of them had started to get a yellowish hint two days ago, but alas, that was too big a temptation for the neighborhood squirrels!
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2010   #29
Chara
Tomatovillian™

The best performer for me here in Florida, with the heat index up to 110, was hybrid F1 Jetsetter. From medium to large, round with no blemishes or splitting fruit, tasty - on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give it 8. My 3 vines produced from May through July, then stopped for about a month and now back to blooming. I'm glad that I planted them next to a fence - they are about 10' long now and I'm using a fence as a support. I think they may do just fine all the way to the Thanksgiving.
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #30
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on the Indian Stripe. It originated out of the hot humid south Arkansas area. The only tomato I have had in the last few weeks has been Arkansas Traveler. Our heat index around here was in the triple digits for weeks. Even hit 118 index when the temp was 101 so you can imagine what the humidity was like. I'll have double the Travelers next year and also will try the F1 hybrid Solarset.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote