Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 14, 2007   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Another potting mix question

I got a "Garden in a Box" Earthbox kit for Christmas and it came with its own potting mix that according to the label is only peat moss and vermiculite. Are there any other potting mixes that are made from just these ingredients? I can't find any. I built 2 homemade boxes for this year and need to get potting soil for them. The only Jungle Growth mix I can find has some fertilizer in it. What do you think? What mix works best for tomatoes?
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Might add some perlite and non-dyed, non-treated pine bark mulch to that peat-vermiculite mix. And either the packet of fertilizer that came with it, or a handful of TomatoTone and a handful of Dolomitic Lime.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

It is a mediocre potting mix, but, not uncommon as it is cheap to produce that mix. Perlite costs a little more than vermiculite. Compost smells funny to most people. Both will help your mix considerably. I would think that the mix as supplied is gonna be relatively sterile otherwise.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

In other recent topics of note, I've been advised not to put any compost in my containers.
Old March 15, 2007   #5
garaj
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Potting Mix Questiom

This is the sixth season that I have been growing in DYI Earth boxes. I've used Jungle Growth, Lambert, Expert Perfect Mix and probably some others I cant recall. They all seem to produce similar results. The tiny bit of fertilizer in Jungle Growth doesn't hurt anything.

Garaj
garaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #6
bydsign
Tomatovillian™

Those self-watering container setups are pretty forgiving.

Just make sure you got your fertilizer strip, your lime (Dolomite)
and a potting mix that will wick the moisture upwards.

Do NOT put any compost in your mix.

I'm on my 2nd season of using these types of containers with
great success!

Old March 16, 2007   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Mr Feldon- please point me in that direction!

I would hate to not use compost, im not a huge fan of buying peat based stuff every year. Im going to try mostly coir chips for a few plants this year as ive got leftovers from my citrus (Long lasting, take about 5 years to break down to unuesable)

Vermicompost is the best stuff for starting seeds, and now that ive got copious ammounts, i was planning on using it in my planters

Thanks for any info!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #8
rzr
Tomatovillian™

Someone posted that they have had success with Pro-Mix. I have just started using it and have 4 plants transplanted in my homeade earthboxes.

The Pro-Mix contains peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and even the limestone. They sell it at our HomeDepot for around $11.00 for 4 cu feet compressed to 2 cu feet. Other brands of mix seem to compress their mix as well, but not near as much as the Pro-Mix so when it comes to price, there probably is not a big differnce. I also think its a decent price when you dont have to worry about anything but the fertilizer.
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

There seem to be two different growing methods being discussed on this thread (ah well, thread drift happens )

I thought I'd point out that open containers != earthboxes, and the approach that works best in an EB is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatovator View Post
I got a "Garden in a Box" Earthbox kit for Christmas and it came with its own potting mix that according to the label is only peat moss and vermiculite. Are there any other potting mixes that are made from just these ingredients? I can't find any. I built 2 homemade boxes for this year and need to get potting soil for them. The only Jungle Growth mix I can find has some fertilizer in it. What do you think? What mix works best for tomatoes?
Jungle Growth is a quality mix and is fine for EBs; not enough fert in it to hurt anything as garaj pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydsign
Just make sure you got your fertilizer strip, your lime (Dolomite) and a potting mix that will wick the moisture upwards.

Do NOT put any compost in your mix.
Agreed. I'll add that putting in bark chips/fines probably wouldn't be a good idea for EB growing, because of the importance of wicking, and also amplify your point about having a fertilizer strip (as opposed to having fertilizer mixed throughout the potting medium in most cases).

Tomatovator, here's a great thread on Earthboxes that you might find helpful:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=348

Garnetmoth, the thread Morgan is alluding to re compost and containers can be found here, draw your own conclusions:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4480
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #10
COmater
Tomatovillian™

Is there anyone in the Denver metro area that is using earthboxes? This will be the first year for me to add some to my yard so that I can grow MORE tomatoes. I'm looking for a local source for soilless potting mix. All I can find in any decent sized bags in Miracle Grow with fertilizer or mixes that are about $16-$20 for 2-3cu ft. bags. That would be quite costly.
Thanks
COmater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Earthboxes soil requirements are a bit different from open-top containers, so I can't give any advice there. And I only know about container mixes from Suze and others here on this forum. I know in an open container, Pro-Mix ($12) plus Shredded pine bark ($2) makes 50 gallons of potting mix.
Old May 19, 2007   #12
rzr
Tomatovillian™

I used just the promix from homedepot in my diy earthboxes. They are groing nice. If you go to the "Earth Box Tall Enough" post you will see my pictures. All those are with promix. Next year I am going to try the bark method to cut costs though.

Furthermore, the red containers that I have in those pictures have a bigger water reservoir. I reccommend even higher then the 5.75 inches high that the red ones have. The grey ones have 4 inch reservoirs which runs out of water in a day and a half it seems like on hot days. I would actually go 6.5 inches high. I bet they would grow fine in it, and that should cut costs on mix.
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007   #13
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I sort of hate to say this but Lowe's [$5.95 2 cubic foot] has their own brand of potting mix and I've been using it, but just bought their last 2 bags. I'm worried they may send the next shipment going to my store to another one if to many people yell about their store being out. :-)
Old May 21, 2007   #14
tumbleweed
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there anyone in the Denver metro area that is using earthboxes?

COmater: I sent a home-made earth box to my sister in Lakewood, a Denver suberb, She is having good luck with it so far. These tomatoes were planted out on Mother's Day weekend.

Last edited by tumbleweed; May 21, 2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: add name of person who asked question
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007   #15
COmater
Tomatovillian™

Tumbleweed: Thanks for the pic. I am trying 8 earthboxes this year to make more room for Maters. I will plant this or next weekend as it will be in the 30's for the next two nights. I did finally find some Promix by calling the regional rep to find larger quantities that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm excited to get started. Thanks
COmater is offline   Reply With Quote