Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 24, 2007   #1
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

Default Half Whiskey Barrel. What do you use for soil mix?

This weekend is my planting out weekend. The majority of my tomato plants are in ground (40 of them) and the remainder will go into 14 half whiskey barrels. These barrels take 4 cubic feet to fill. I keep adding a few more each year but now I see if I continue to buy the MG 2 cubic foot bags at $14 each, withe each whiskey barrel needed two bags in each one thatq would be aroudn $30 for each whiskey barrel. What other choices should I maybe think of?

I have 15 yards of two way soil recently delivered, it is half compost (cedar grove) and half sand. Is there a way I can use some of it in the container? I know by itself it woudl be way to heavy as I tried that two summers ago with terrible results (water would not drain after a month or so)

Looking forward to havign some fun planting these this weekend...any feedback on other alternatives for those whisky barrels is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

keith in Buckley, WA
keithaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you can find Pro-Mix, it's $12 for a 2.2 cu ft compressed bag that expands to 4 cu ft. Then for $3 you get a 40 lb bag of shredded pine bark. Mix together and you get 3 large wheelbarrow loads of potting mix that will last 2 years. Add 1 cup of TomatoTone and 1 cup of Pelletized Lime for every 5-10 gal. of potting mix and you're good to go.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #3
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

7 or 8 years ago I could get all the free compost I wanted to haul from Illinois State University Farm if I loaded it myself. I filled my whiskey barrels with straight compost and have never had to add any fertilizes since. I've have grown and am growing tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and flowers with great result. Hope this helps.
Old June 9, 2007   #4
organichris
Tomatovillian™

wilderness1989,

Out of curiosity, what kind of results did you get from the pure compost? And what kind/kinds of compost have you used? I have thought about doing this, but would like to know what kind of results to expect. I'll bet those were some tasty tomatoes.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote