Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 15, 2011   #76
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

cushman,

If you have the cold frame covers on the IncuTainers, with the thermostatic switch sitting outside the container, it will turn on at 35 degrees ambient well before the temperature inside the container goes below 40 degrees. Make sense?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2011   #77
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
cushman,

If you have the cold frame covers on the IncuTainers, with the thermostatic switch sitting outside the container, it will turn on at 35 degrees ambient well before the temperature inside the container goes below 40 degrees. Make sense?

Raybo
Makes sense now, sorry to be so obtuse.

I like the way you think and do, I think alot more than I do.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2011   #78
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman350 View Post
Makes sense now, sorry to be so obtuse.

I like the way you think and do.
Too hasty to say I understand. How does the temp controlled plugin know what the temp is inside the coldframe for it to shut off?

cushman
Old April 16, 2011   #79
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

cushman,

My concern in the early Spring would be getting the heater element turned on before you have a hard freeze within the IncuTainer. The thermal switch shuts off at 50 degrees (sitting outside) the IncuTainer. My assumption that with the temp on the way down at night, the lag time for the internal temperature will cause the thermal switch to turn on ahead of the declining temp inside the 'Tainer.

In the early morning as the ambient temp rises outside the 'Tainer, the thermal switch turns off at 50 degrees. It is somewhat secondary if the temperature inside the IncuTainer is 55 or even 65 degrees at that time. What you want is for the internal temperature to never hit freezing. An upside temperature delta (within reason) is fully acceptable. Remember, this is not for routine hothouse-type growing in cold weather. It is meant only to protect your seedlings from an unexpected overnight freeze.

Make sense?

Raybo
Old April 17, 2011   #80
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

My only concern is the thought that the inside temp of the cold frame wilting the plants from the heat source not ever shutting down, but then, how hot would it get inside the cold frame with temps 32° and lower outside and a hair dryer inside running all night. I have not done any trials.
Old April 17, 2011   #81
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman350 View Post
My only concern is the thought that the inside temp of the cold frame wilting the plants from the heat source not ever shutting down, but then, how hot would it get inside the cold frame with temps 32° and lower outside and a hair dryer inside running all night. I have not done any trials.
cushman,

I look at this setup as an "emergency" heating plan for the occasional freeze - - not something that will be used EVERY night. It would take a bit of trial and error to figure out how much heat rise you want inside the IncuTainer to determine the heat setting. A Reptile Heater connected to the Thermostatic switch may be less "dramatic" in pumping out heat.

Again, the goal is to just have the plants survive an external freeze by keeping the IncuTainer above 40 degrees at all times. As long as the heating element you use doesn't generate an inside temperature of 90+ then the plants should survive and be happy.

Raybo
Old January 8, 2012   #82
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Just for the cheap skates out there (like myself) a 15 watt light bulb will do the same thing pretty much minus the h20 naturally. I know aquarium heaters are not cheap these days and I had to replace two of them only to find out neither one maintains the desired water temp that my fish require! Yuck! The brand name was Theo-Hydor which is made in Italy and is garbage. Just a little heads up so none of you make the same mistake as I did. Otherwise very nice system there Ray
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote