Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 13, 2009   #1
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthTainer and other SWC questions?

Ok, i understand the fully sealed EarthTainer and SWC principles, one being you install a fertilizer strip or ring when first planting the seedling in the container.
From what i understand, this is meant to last the growing and blooming duration of the plant.

But i just wondered if anyone has supplemented with a dose of liquid fertilizer in the watering process, i am more talking about Seasol or some other Seaweed solution?

Once plants are mature i mean?
Do you think there is a chance that the dry slow release fertilizer will be completely leached? Thus adding a cycle of Seaweed solution each week or 2 would be beneficial?

Also wondered if people try and flush/churn the water in their SWC to keep it fresh?
Salty_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have a SWC I bought from Gardener's Supply. The instructions said to add ferts into the mix when planting, then adding your strip when the plant starts to put on fruit.
So that's the way I've always done it.
Old October 13, 2009   #3
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barbee... omg, now that is another method i have heard

I guess i am thinking about this line of questioning because i come from a bog standard container growing history in the past.
Whereby i just used to use large black containers, fill the bottom section with rocks, pebbles, larger bark, whatever to make it drain, then top with a mixture of Potty Mix and Soil and some organic material
Water lightly twice a day and feed with seaweed solution once a week.
Always had great tomatos and no problems of any kind.
Old October 13, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I mostly plant in ground. I picked up this SWC because I like growing cherry tomatoes on the deck. Pop out the door and pick a few for a salad, etc. So with that said, I don't know much about container growing at all. I do know that I like this because I only have to fill it every 2 or 3 days in the hottest of weather. Otherwise, I probably would have just used a big regular pot.
The soil that came with this SWC doesn't have any ferts in it. I see it has myco, but don't see a listing for any ferts.
So in this case, I think mixing the ferts in with the soil would be like using a MG potting soil, or something similar. And really, when the plant starts to put on fruit, it's time to give it a boost whether you plant in ground or container, IMO. I suppose you could use liquid or the slower release type granular since everything is contained anyway?
But like I said, I'm an in ground grower, so don't take my opinions as gospel or anything LoLoL
T-ville has lots and lots of container growers as members. They'll be able to give you much better advice
Old October 13, 2009   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Salty, hello from Northeastern Georgia, USA. Just above Atlanta.

Because of Juglone in my soil, I'm am Containers ONLY. Here's what I do with containers and this includes my SWC's.

At Plantout time, I don't fill the container full. An example would be a 5 gallon bucket. It would have about 6 inches left at the top. This is still plenty of growing medium for the seedling. Then, as the plant grows, I trim lower leaves and add more MIX. By the time the plant is half to two-thirds its normal full height, I will have filled the bucket to within 1.5 to 2 inches of the top. I've found that this encourages deeper and larger root systems and that usually equates to healthier - more vigorous - plants.

The MIX that I conjur up is simply sterile potting MIX (no SOIL of any kind). As I do the planting out, I put some mix in my wheelbarrow, add a bit of dolomite lime and some slow release 10-10-10 fertilizer. When I do the addition of mix during early growth, I add some Tomato-Tone. This sits at the top and its beneficials are moved down into the mix as watering occurs. And, Yes, my SWC's are included in this method. Rain and an occasional squirt from the watering hose helps to move the nurtrients down.

So, Fertilizer in the mix (not a strip), Fertilizer in the top-offs, and then, about once every three weeks, a bit of Miracle grow for tomatoes as a boost. Yes, some of this goes into the water reservoir of my SWC's.

Now, I watch my plants individually for bursts of greenery growth. This may mean a quick drain of nitrogen. If I suspect that, then I have some Miracle grow Organic fertilizer that is Nitrogen only. It can also be used in the MIX or as a foliar feed.

So, there you have still another approach. Probably the unique thing about my method is the part about adding growing medium (MIX) in a manner that gets me deeper root systems.

So, welcome to Tomatoville

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #6
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

Hello Ted,
When did you change your method? Your video demonstrates a very similar system as the Earthbox.
Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie46 View Post
Hello Ted,
When did you change your method? Your video demonstrates a very similar system as the Earthbox.
Ed
Okay, you got me. WHAT VIDEO????

I have soil which is full of Juglone that forces me to Containers and that's where I took my handle - ContainerTed.

One of the Teds who doesn't make videos
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 13, 2009   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

eddie,

I think you have ContainerTed and me mixed up regarding the Video (ContainerTed is the good-looking guy!!).

The EarthTainer Video was filmed in May 2008, and since then, I have made minor tweaks to the design and fertilization recommendations. While not absolutely necessary, I would suggest you consider adding in a water soluble fertilizer once a month, after fruitset.

Here is the direct link to the Guide Rev. 1.8 updated Sept. 3.

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
eddie,

I think you have ContainerTed and me mixed up regarding the Video (ContainerTed is the good-looking guy!!).
Ray
Ray, I have seen your picture and am absolutely certain that you are not the ugliest of the two of us. As age has overtaken me, I have arrived at the point where I have to "sneak up on a glass of water".

The ugly Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 13, 2009   #10
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
I mostly plant in ground. I picked up this SWC because I like growing cherry tomatoes on the deck. Pop out the door and pick a few for a salad, etc. So with that said, I don't know much about container growing at all. I do know that I like this because I only have to fill it every 2 or 3 days in the hottest of weather. Otherwise, I probably would have just used a big regular pot.
The soil that came with this SWC doesn't have any ferts in it. I see it has myco, but don't see a listing for any ferts.
So in this case, I think mixing the ferts in with the soil would be like using a MG potting soil, or something similar. And really, when the plant starts to put on fruit, it's time to give it a boost whether you plant in ground or container, IMO. I suppose you could use liquid or the slower release type granular since everything is contained anyway?
But like I said, I'm an in ground grower, so don't take my opinions as gospel or anything LoLoL
T-ville has lots and lots of container growers as members. They'll be able to give you much better advice
Barbee, that is the exact reason i am having to container plant now myself.
A. I built a timber deck over the space i used to grow tomatos (both enjoy the benefits on a sunniest spot)
B. The deck is now the sunniest spot and i like the idea of just walking out the door to get rip juicy tomatos for breakfast and salads etc.
C. SWC seem to to be a little bit neater in the fact they may not spill as much as traditional container gardening.

So thank you for your insight, what you say makes a lot of sense.
Old October 13, 2009   #11
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Salty, hello from Northeastern Georgia, USA. Just above Atlanta.

Because of Juglone in my soil, I'm am Containers ONLY. Here's what I do with containers and this includes my SWC's.

At Plantout time, I don't fill the container full. An example would be a 5 gallon bucket. It would have about 6 inches left at the top. This is still plenty of growing medium for the seedling. Then, as the plant grows, I trim lower leaves and add more MIX. By the time the plant is half to two-thirds its normal full height, I will have filled the bucket to within 1.5 to 2 inches of the top. I've found that this encourages deeper and larger root systems and that usually equates to healthier - more vigorous - plants.
Thank you Ted, i have read about both methods in relation to SWC planting, a lot of people say plant at the top and allow for roots to grow deep, while others say plant deep, picking off most of the foliage.
Your method is a wonderful combination of the 2 it seems, i will take that onboard, and the way i have already planted them, i should be able to implement it.

Quote:
The MIX that I conjur up is simply sterile potting MIX (no SOIL of any kind). As I do the planting out, I put some mix in my wheelbarrow, add a bit of dolomite lime and some slow release 10-10-10 fertilizer.
Yep, i do exactly the same, although i didn't add the fert, as i was trying to follow Rays method as close as i could.

Quote:
When I do the addition of mix during early growth, I add some Tomato-Tone. This sits at the top and its beneficials are moved down into the mix as watering occurs. And, Yes, my SWC's are included in this method. Rain and an occasional squirt from the watering hose helps to move the nurtrients down.

So, Fertilizer in the mix (not a strip), Fertilizer in the top-offs, and then, about once every three weeks, a bit of Miracle grow for tomatoes as a boost. Yes, some of this goes into the water reservoir of my SWC's.
Righto, i can follow that

Quote:
Now, I watch my plants individually for bursts of greenery growth. This may mean a quick drain of nitrogen. If I suspect that, then I have some Miracle grow Organic fertilizer that is Nitrogen only. It can also be used in the MIX or as a foliar feed.

So, there you have still another approach. Probably the unique thing about my method is the part about adding growing medium (MIX) in a manner that gets me deeper root systems.

So, welcome to Tomatoville

Ted
Great, thank you Ted, really appreciate you going to the trouble to explain your own person system to me.
It has all been taken on board.

My first plant out, which was last weekend, was just in standard Potty Mix, i realise now from reading here, i should of added some Perlite at a 4:1 ratio.
Perlite is now on my shopping list.
The Mix was moistened in a wheel barrow first, then added to the container, top 6 inches i added the lime, planted the seedling, then a fert ring is on top, and covered with black plastic and placed in the hot house.

I think i now understand that the standard potty mix is no doubt lacking what ever is in the MG Mix... So perhaps i should of added some slow fert into the mix while in the wheel barrow?

Anyway, it is all learning, i have my other seedings now in 8 inch pots ready for the last plant out, so i can add these things when i do that.
Old October 13, 2009   #12
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
eddie,

The EarthTainer Video was filmed in May 2008, and since then, I have made minor tweaks to the design and fertilization recommendations. While not absolutely necessary, I would suggest you consider adding in a water soluble fertilizer once a month, after fruitset.

Here is the direct link to the Guide Rev. 1.8 updated Sept. 3.

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Ray
Ray, the Guru...

I'm not sure whether to thank you for your brilliant system and freely available plans or blame you for the reason that all i think about is tomato containers now!
It seems every bucket around my place now is on the hit list to be drilled full of holes!

In all seriousness, great to meet you and thank you for commenting in my thread.
I'll keep some Seasol or similar ready for when my plant is bulk feeding.
I was just worried it might might over fert the plant considering it already has the fert strip/ring.

Thank You
Old October 13, 2009   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Salty, one other thing in my "system". I recycle my growing medium. What that means is that I don't start 100% fresh each year with new everything.

Right now, I'm closing out my season. All the tomatoes are done, but I still have a bunch of peppers still going. What I'll do with the contents of the containers is to empty them thru a screen (1/4" weave) and get out all the heavier particles and other things the squirrels bury in the pots. Then, I spread out a large tarp (5 meters x 10 meters) and move the screened mix onto it. As I do, I add a little bit of dolomite lime, some more of that 10-10-10 slow release, and a lot of finely shreaded leaves from my neighbor's trees. I use as much of the leaf material as I can. The amount added is probably about 20%. If needed, water is added until it feels like it is damp, but not wet (sort of like a new bag of mix).

It all gets mixed up really good and the tarp gets closed up. 4 or 5 times over the winter, I'll open the tarp and stir it up. You know, I actually have some earthworms living in there.

In the spring, I open the tarp and give everything a good air-out before the plant-out. When I get to putting the plants in the containers, I use (roughly) 75% of my old stuff and 25% new MIX and new composted cow manure. When all container filling is done, the remaining old mix goes into the other flower beds. Nothing wasted.

Over the winter, I am always alert for bargains on Potting MIX. I get a lot of broken bags at half price or less. A bag here and another there and the total price keeps going down.

Oh, and thank you for the compliment on how I add to the containers early on. But I must credit the origin of the idea to someone who used to post here. Brokenbar said she did her tomatillos that way in 2 liter soda bottles. I read her post and lightbulbs went on in my brain like fireworks. It seemed like the ultimate way of getting deep roots. So, a thanks to Brokenbar whom we haven't heard from in a long time. Someone on another forum said she and her family bought some land down on the Yucatan Peninsula and moved down there to garden in the heat.

Anyhow, take care and get us some pictures of your efforts when you can.

Ted, the one who does programming and not videos and is uglier than Ray.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 13, 2009   #14
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Brilliant idea on the recycling of the Mix. It isn't always cheap, so i can see the benefit in doing it.
I see Ray suggests just removing the top section of the Earthtainers then re-dressing it etc, i must admit, i do wonder how you do this with a massive root system in the way? And just like planting in the ground, if it is a good idea to reuse Mix the next season... Alas, that is why i am here i guess... to learn

Yes i too bought some Mix that was cheap, normal price here is somewhere around $6.95 to $9.95 AUD for a 15ltr bag.
Aldi (a budget German Supermarket) had bags for $2.69ea, it was hard not to buy some, so i bought 10
It also didn't come with a ingredient make up on the side, so it was hard to tell what i bought really.

It sure could of done with the Perlite.

Here are some pics of where i am at now... pls don't hold back on the comments, as i have little experience in telling what my plants are doing by sight (outside the obvious)

Heirlooms in SWC, Black Russian and Green Zebra
Note: They weren't doing so well before i planted them in the SWC, so i hope they come around.

Heirlooms in 6inch pots ready for new SWC to be built or they may just go in large traditional pots

Sweet Bite

Hybrid Apollo waiting to be planted out

More Sweet Bite that i have had inside from cold snap
Old October 13, 2009   #15
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Grosse Lisse and Sweet Bite on my deck
We had a cold snap, so i made temporary cover for them.

Others waiting to be planted out

Now, these are Cerise and Gold Nugget from seed
Not doing so well, have been at this stage for weeks now?