Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old September 10, 2007   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Finished Canning All The Tomatoes

Hi,
I spent the afternoon canning all the whole tomatoes left at the party. I ended up with 11 quarts though 1 broke in the canner. I'm going to save a few jars for next year's party.
I also saved seeds from 15 varieties. Mark and I marked our tomatoes so I knew what some were plus a couple like Vintage Wine were unmistakable. I wish I had written on more to save the seeds as I prepared them for canning. Next year I will. I know some people were saving seeds from chopped tomatoes at the party. So once they are ready, I'll list them on my GW trade page. If anyone from the party wants any of course can have them, no trade required.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old September 11, 2007   #2
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

That's great, Remy! 11 quarts!

I took all the pulp from the sliced tomatoes (didn't have the heart to see it go to garbage) and cooked it that evening. Then next morning, I put it all through a strainer to make tomato sauce, and DH made a great bolognese pasta sauce later that day. We ate some and froze the rest.

You could perhaps have been able to identify most of them if you looked at the pictures I took and posted?

Hilde
Old September 11, 2007   #3
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hilde,
You cooked it that evening?! I figured you would wait until morning. Oh my, you must of been so tired. Though I'm sure the sauce tasted great.
I did use the photos to identify Mark's abbreviations on the tomatoes, and I did identify the big Moldavian Greens the same way. I didn't want to chance ones that were not so identifiable and save the seed with wrong name. But next year, I'll be prepared.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop