Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2016   #31
Clint M
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I will say even I (born in 1976) have used kerosene for a cure everything not as much on vegetables as you said but livestock when we cut hogs purple spray or kerosene, horses feet, sore on any animal pretty much got kerosene or Vaseline. Still use it a good bit I guess it's a cure all for sure. I purchased your book years ago a great read that was when I learned better boy wasn't the best tomato plant LOL.. I also remember you from garden web shared seed with you etc and seed grow outs. I gave your book away, I have made a small dent around local I like to think growing open pollinated tomatoes, internet and your book helped a lot.

Last edited by Clint M; April 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Clint M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #32
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldemila View Post
BIGVANVADER, we met you and your wife last year at the Little Mountain Tomato Festival and tried your Wes tomato. Do you have any seed, or preferably starter plants available?? Trying to locate some (locally) and would like to see if you have some. Was doing a search and recognized you and your wife on a thread mentioning Wes.

Couldn't figure how to P/M you on here.

Thanks!
Oh hey! I think I remember y'all. Sorry I just saw this. Yes we have Wes plants available. We sell at the Hub City farmer Market in Spartanburg or you can pick up at my house. you can email me at nodinesplants@gmail.com for any questions or to set up a day/time.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #33
eldemila
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Just sent you a msg. BigVanVader
eldemila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #34
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year that I have "jumped the shark" when it comes to planting early, and it seems to have worked. Lucky only.

Being in north FL, I always laughed at people put out tender little flowers and veggies when we get a warm spell in Feb. because I know most will loose them. We always get a cold snap towards the end of Feb and almost always get one in March.

Traditionally, I waited until after the March freeze to put stuff out if I wasn't going to be able to cover it. This year, I put everything out in early March and it worked. Got close to freezing but not quite. Plants are huge! I did have backups growing under lights, just in case.

Complete luck, but the first year I cheated - I won! Now, where is my son as I need to knock on his wooden head.....
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote