Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I loved Matt's Wild cherry last year but they were impossible to pick off the plant. Always exploded in my hand. I was told the answer was Sara's Galapagos.
Strange I never had one blow up.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #17
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Sun Sugar - better than sun gold IMO and it doesn't split. Very sweet!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #18
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Supersweet 100 gets my vote as well .... had 3 plants last year and was overrun, but my friends didn't mind taking some off my hands. This year I am only growing 2 plants. They will split only if they are very ripe and then watered heavily, such as a big rain storm, but they are fine otherwise and I did not have many that split.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #19
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Matt's Wild Cherry reseeds in my garden every year and has always been easy to pick. They are very small but oh so good. This year I am planting them again from seed in case what is reseeding is crossed. I enjoyed Coyote as well last summer - similar size as Matt's. Sun Sugar is always a winner but a larger tomato. I will be trying Green Doctors Frosted, which I understand is delicious.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

NewHampshire....hmmm. If SunGolds splits you need to pick early, pick as they come along and often. Especially just before a storm. Let the kitchen bowl fill up with young and firm blush cherries, grapes, pears. Well ahead of ripe. Then let them keep producing for the garden snacks.

Don't let them split...(yeah. well, mine get away from me also.) Once in the kitchen, firm and less ripe, enjoy as they ripen but toss them in a thick zip-lock whole into the freezer....they will be so handy throughout the Fall in egg tarts, DutchBabies, pizza toppings...toss a couple dozen frozen on a 1/2 sheet pan in the oven at 250 and roast for an hour...like tom candy on a salad. Near summer flavor in January.

I don't care for the tiny tom clusters, but do like CubanYellowGrape for garden snacking.
I'm always trying a few more every year as some do better than other.

Keep trying new ones for your growing climate, but do keep up and pick early.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

How about some saladett size ?
I grew Willamette lats year. Good one bite size (maybe 2) but not Texas size.
Gardeneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willamette -22.jpg (94.7 KB, 123 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #22
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Everyone is going to hate me for saying it, but Yellow Pear was my favorite cherry last year. It grew extremely well in my garden and they were very tasty.

Ildi came in a close second, but was just a little too mild for me. The plant was a LOT better behaved than Yellow Pear and was pretty cool.

Neither seemed to split much for me. Yellow Pear split a little after a good rain, but I don't remember Ildi splitting at all.
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #23
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Hibor will knock the socks off of Yellow Pear.

If I were choosing some good varieties, Hibor, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Black Cherry, LA0417, and Galina's Yellow Cherry come to mind.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #24
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Source for Hibor?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #25
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Matt's wild cherry for me.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #26
charline
Tomatovillian™

Bianca, very sweet like a candy
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #27
oakley
Tomatovillian™

SummerSky, I grow YellowPear and RedPear every year since i can remember. Just two plants of each now as i'm always testing others. SunGold joined the 'every year' list a few years ago. And CubanYellow.

YP and RP just do so well no mater inconsistencies in my season. I catch them firm at blush...all my snackers and often get an early gallon while waiting for other heftier toms.
They all freeze well whole. In fact i'm planning to slow roast in the oven tonight a few dozen...on a parchment lined sheet pan with a head of garlic and a couple shallots, red pepper, for a smoked salmon pasta sauce...i just toss them in frozen.

Many toms split if i get 3-4 straight days of rain but i can easily predict that and will harvest during that first rainy day.

My seeds are from TGSupply and they are still good germinators after 5+yrs...have fresh packs i think from last year.

I will continue to grow out many varieties that are recommended...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #28
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Supersweet 100 gets my vote as well .... had 3 plants last year and was overrun, but my friends didn't mind taking some off my hands. This year I am only growing 2 plants. They will split only if they are very ripe and then watered heavily, such as a big rain storm, but they are fine otherwise and I did not have many that split.
I grew them in the ground just one time, and now I only grow them in a pot on the patio. My wife loves trotting out on to the patio and filling a cereal bowl. She puts a few in her noon salad, and our oldest son will usually eat the rest.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #29
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

matt's wild cherry is too small to pick,like m&m's
I had to pick the entire cluster at once and eat them like grapes.
They were the last plant to be alive in the garden when frost hits,so extremely disease resistant.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In just about 3 days or so I can give a report on Galina's and it's taste.
I have one or two starting to get ripe.
Never had it before but like I might have said here or someplace else this is one good grower where I live.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote