Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2016   #1
imp
Tomatovillian™

Default Community Garden

I often talk about our community garden here and finally took some pictures today- along with my thumb and a couple fingers- and thought you might like o see where I am going to be gardening the most this year. It's a bit messy and I take rather awful pictures, so bear with me, please.

I spent about 2.5 hours there today and feel much better for it. Only transplanted 25 tomato plants before we got rained out, but got 7 beds turned over with Mark's help. The plots had lots of worms, too, some big ones and littles.

The first 2 are across the cement drive from my plots, just to kind of show the area a bit. the last shows my plot; the center 7 to the tight side the last 3 plots which still need to be turned over and rows made, and to the left there are 5 plots, with 3 motre to be turned and rows made. The chard and garlic are at the end of the denter row and overwintered wonderfully.

In the back ground is mostly park area and empty lots. We are right across the street from the Martin Luther king Center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171330.jpg (594.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171336.jpg (567.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171346.jpg (546.8 KB, 115 views)
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

And some more pictures- wouldn't want you to miss that close up of my thumb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171401.jpg (460.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171451.jpg (403.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171505.jpg (394.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171516.jpg (356.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171529.jpg (367.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171551.jpg (345.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_171602.jpg (248.4 KB, 110 views)
Old April 11, 2016   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

This is good stuff imp, and I was checking out the leaves on your Paul Robeson's.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Imp, where'd you find a garden with no weeds? I'm moving to Texas!!!

Nice healthy plants and you're super organized (note to self). That's some good looking friable soil you have. Is that typical of the area?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I think it looks great! (And also like alot of hard work!)
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Imp, where'd you find a garden with no weeds? I'm moving to Texas!!!

Nice healthy plants and you're super organized (note to self). That's some good looking friable soil you have. Is that typical of the area?

- Lisa
Texas is mostly rocks desert and cactus.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all. I really like gardening there and yes, LOL, we get weeds. I pulled some out of that chard and the garlic today as well as planted and sorted a lot.

Organized???!! Wow, I always think I am winging it, but I sure will take that compliment!

A few days ago, when I moved all the tomato basket babies over there so everyone could get them some, I expected to see awful huge weeds , but there were hardly any. I stood there and cried, just really cried, because I knew the other gardeners or Mike, the manager, had weeded for me and were trying to be supportive. Sometimes a kindness like that just takes me by surprise. I thanked Mike later-he and his people who get assigned community service had weeded my beds. Mike just looked me and told me "we take care of our own." and put on his gardening shoes and took off to see the tomato babies!!

The dirt is pretty good, some clay is there, but we get all the free compost we want to use, so that helps a lot- along with free water. I had hired Mark today, he used to roll papers on Sundays for me, and he did a lot of the grunt work and helped lay out beds. I've worked in a lot of compost and a lot of cow manure to help it fluff a bit and to enrich it. There were a LOT of worms today, too.

I was a bit edgy being away from home so long, but it's 15 minutes if the lights are good and it was good for me to get in the dirt. I told MissS I think I am like that demigod that wrestled Hercules, who got stronger every time he touched the earth- I just feel better when I garden.

I'll need to check on it tomorrow as I didn't water the transplants in; it started to rain for real on us, so we fled the scene of the crime, plus it had rained last night some, and is supposed to rain again tonight.

Spring! You just never know.
Old April 11, 2016   #9
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Dang git Imp, that "We take care of our own" made me choke up and it's all your fault! Tell Mike and the crew that they've got a fan here too!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #10
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
This is good stuff imp, and I was checking out the leaves on your Paul Robeson's.

I checked the leaves on all those I started, too!! All are regular leaf, from MissS and I sent in a bunch of packs to the swap, courtesy of MissS. I am glad to see all the RL's.

And, Carolyn, the Omar's better be good, I put 2 in because you love them! <grin>
Old April 11, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Imp, it looks wonderful. I had something completely different in my mind - more like what you see on PBS organic gardening shows. I'm glad I was wrong.

Those are big laundry baskets full of solo cups and tomatoes?

Worth, there's east Texas too...sandy loam, lots of lakes, too much humidity, mosquitoes the size of a small crop duster plane (Exaggeration), and pine trees.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

It got to me too, Deborah.

Yes, Salt, tomato babies in baskets in solo cups. I can fir 20 to 22 per basket and it sure made moving them about a lot easier, even here at home. Like when I had to cover them for the last frost danger.

Now you know why I was making jokes about the weird looking laundry drop off thing! Thank goodness, my front yard is not the easiest to see into too much.

Last edited by imp; April 11, 2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: fat finger typing and some letters worn off the keyboard!
Old April 11, 2016   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

What do you have planned to support your plants?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

Greg is supposed to be making me some 8 ft x 4 foot trellis's out of boards and field fencing, and we will hang them on 8ft T posts.

Ditto for the pole beans to climb on.

I figure three T posts in 8 ft ( the beds are 8 x 8 will support the weight well enough.

If he does not follow through, he already has the T posts and wire by his gate and I will use the wire and T posts ( and say naughty things at Greg, oh, wait, I already do that...).

Last edited by imp; April 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: terrible typing.
Old April 12, 2016   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Greg is supposed to be making me some 8 ft x 4 foot trellis's out of boards and field fencing, and we will hang them on 8ft T posts.

Ditto for the pole beans to climb on.

I figure three T posts in 8 ft ( the beds are 8 x 8 will support the weight well enough.

If he does not follow through, he already has the T posts and wire by his gate and I will use the wire and T posts ( and say naughty things at Greg, oh, wait, I already do that...).

Imp, you are a Texan.

I do try to stay away from Texan-isms. But I found myself doing this a few days ago.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be making our pole bean supports that I've been buying material for and painting the past two days. I wanted to ask the people at Home Depot why they don't have 12' landscape timbers? Don't they know this is Texas?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote