Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 13, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default What is this?

I have a couple of Big Beef VFFNTA still growing even though I know the roots are infected with Root Knot Nematodes. I did kill a small stink bug on a different tomato on a slightly healthier looking tomato plant three feet beside the plant/tomatoes pictured below. Once I knew the tomato plants are infected with RKN - I stopped spraying them with bleach solution or doing anything other than watering them - that was a couple months ago. I'm just curious as to what is going on in this area and how to correct it.

I've been observing crop growing fields nearby (Within a 3 miles Radius.) I have watched corn and grain growing stunted and grain not producing due to severe stunted growth. It's enough to call the crops a complete failure.

Something else that I have seen that is very different from years before - While I am not a rancher, I do pay attention to the local economy. I have seen round bales of hay selling for $25, and I've noticed a lot of hay that's still lying there bailed in 2015.

Okay, first the two tomato pictures, and if I can figure out how to use the card in my wife's camera - I'll post pictures of a failed crop less than a half mile away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0075.JPG (81.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0076.JPG (77.3 KB, 103 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is a grain crop that should have produced months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00589.JPG (325.7 KB, 100 views)
Old October 14, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The tall green grass in the background of the second pic is Johnson Grass. I know that sight well. The corn might be sweet corn, and not field corn, which grows a lot easier. It looks like the soil had inadequate nitrogen. They may have dumped manure in the spot where the grass is so tall and green, but not spread it out very well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2016   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Robert, those fruit look a lot like pictures I've seen online of tomatoes infected with tobacco mosaic virus and/or cucumber mosaic virus. Any possibility that's what your dealing with?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

tomato spotted wilt virus? google some pics of that Robert
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
tomato spotted wilt virus? google some pics of that Robert
KarenO
That's exactly what I think it is. Spread by thrips.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2016   #7
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Those poor tomatoes look awful. I have never seen anything like that (thankfully).

In my area I see stunted corn like that in areas where the water has pooled and the field stays really wet in that area or alternately it looks like that during a drought.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You know, us tomato gardeners must think a lot alike in some ways. The first two things I thought of it being were a mosaic virus or TSWV. It was raining this morning with a lot of thunder and lightning, so I didn't turn on the PC. After the almost 2 inches of rain, I went out and took more pictures. The plants look way worse than they did yesterday. The last picture is why I think this is TSWV.

I meant to reply about that field picture. Yes, the taller plants are Johnson grass. It has gotten really bad this past couple of years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0078.JPG (89.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0079.JPG (90.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0080.JPG (48.2 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Johnson Grass
Old October 14, 2016   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

were you saturated with rain this Summer? Do I recall correctly? I think the grain issue is due to how wet of a Summer you had. it literally drowns the roots. Or low spots tend to look like that during wet Spring/Summers.
Old October 14, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The average yearly rainfall for DFW (About 50 miles to our north) is 37.54 inches.

The average yearly rainfall for Waco (About 60 miles south) is around 36 inches.

We have received around 42 inches of rainfall so far. I don't know why it rains more here, but it does. Today was a good example. It officially rained at DFW 0.06" where it rained 1 and 9/10" here.

The soil is very different here. Our gardens are sandy/silty loam, but the raised beds are sitting on clay of many different colors. There is black soil mixed in here and there, and our quarter mile long driveway has some sort of brown clay under it that grows weeds so thick that it's not easy mowing with a 5' bush hog mower.

In the picture on post #2 - in the upper right hand area is a brown roof of the house next door to the grain that was planted. Yet where our mailboxes are is on a part of the hill even taller than the field of grain.

I hope this makes sence, my wife is talking about wishing she was younger in the background while talking to our son on the phone. Don't we all wish we were younger?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 14, 2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 14, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Failed all organic permaculture corn patch.
Some folks down the street tried to grow corn in their front yard it was a miserable looking thing as were the tomatoes.

Some other people have a nice garden and yard but all the work is done by the Mexican yard man that comes by once a week.
He even puts up and takes down the holiday stuff in the yard.
Every holiday.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote