Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 7, 2007   #16
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

The only possible problem I foresee with a larger water reservoir is the potential for breeding mosquito larvae. Is the water fill opening covered with screen or some type of netting?

Mosquitoes carrying Triple E have already been found in Raynham, MA this year and six people died from it last year...better safe than sorry, IMHO.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #17
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Jonathan,

What are store bought EB? Maybe a picture can help. Where did you buy them? Thanks.
carolg z5 co
carolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #18
carolg
Tomatovillian™

Arlinek,
I'm not familiar with watering every 7 days. Please explain your system further. Thanks.

Sherry,
carolg co z5
carolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #19
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

carolg, I mean the branded product called Earthbox. Here is the company's web site: www.earthbox.com . As I said, I have had good experience with it. The problem is the price: $45 including shipping.

I think I can make a reasonable facsimile for perhaps one-third of that price; in fact, I'm in the middle of doing so. There are a couple of places on the Internet where you can find instructions on how to do so. Perhaps the most comprehensive (although somewhat confusing) is here: http://hometown.aol.com/jmalt31/ . Another is here: http://www.josho.com/Earthbox.htm .

I'm attaching a picture of the "real" Earthbox bought from the earthbox.com website.

Best,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: bmp earthbox2.bmp (197.8 KB, 20 views)
Jonathan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #20
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

Mischka,

Thanks very much for the warning. I was munched by three mosquitoes while sitting outside working on my faux Earthbox tonight, so it's a "live" issue. In fact, wouldn't it be an issue regardless of the size of the reservoir?

I have heard of people putting a single goldfish into standing water like this, which eats the mosquito larvae, but somehow I don't think it will work in this instance. Perhaps the solution is simply to flush out the reservoir every couple of days by letting the hose run after it's full?

Best,

Jonathan
Jonathan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #21
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Carolg:

Glad to see two others answered some of your questions before I logged on to see your questions!! The "seven day" reference to having to refill was meant that I had not needed to refill the slowly receding water level for a total of seven days. That was quite phenomenal at the time. But, the weather was cooler then, more morning marine layer here in S. Diego (and don't forget, I made a higher level of water by making the resting platform that the soil sits on - 6" high, which causes more water to remain in the box than some of the plans call for in DIY boxes - the real Earthboxes have an even much-smaller reservoir for water). However, now that the sun is out most all the days now, I am having to refill the water every other day. I'm guessing it holds approx. 6 gal. of water. I also have propped up two sheets of white stryofoam on the south and west side of the tomato box to help reflect some of the sun's heat, so the roots don't overheat as suggested by some. I'll also attach here a pic of my two boxes as of today: one with corn (19 stalks) and the other with two toms: Cherokee Purple and Brandywine (Sudduth, I've been told). They were planted when quite large, maybe 5" high and very root-bound (given to me late in the season; but I was so happy to get them!!). So, they were very slow to take off, but now there are TONS of flowers and a few have already just fruited so I'm very excited and hopeful that I'll finally be able to taste these very popular varieties. I'm a true newbie to this but seem to be doing okay. I'll also attach a pic of our harvest just today and Friday: Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes (6 plants - WAY too many!!) and Better Boy (large ones) - 3 plants in 5 gal. containers and 6 in the ground. My neighbor and friend refused any more zucchinis but will now only take them after I offered to pay her $1.00 each - she then "ordered" 200!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1258.jpg (119.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1260.jpg (113.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.jpg (184.7 KB, 24 views)
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #22
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

arlinek, I see from your pictures you got your DIY EB's sorted out and have some healthy looking crops growing in them. Keep us posted as the crops develop. Good stuff. Ami