Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 24, 2007   #1
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Default New to tomatoes, were these a good choice?

I'm using GS self watering boxes and planted 2 in each. I ended up going with 2 Better Bush in one and 1 Husky Cherry and 1 Heatwave in the other. First time container grower here so I wasn't sure?

Thanks!
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Everyone has different opinions about flavor. Some varieties I think are tasteless, others might find to be just fine. Some people feel I have a "snobby" or controversial viewpoint. So be it.

The varieties you have picked are "bulletproof" genetic hybrids that will give you fruit even if you abuse the plants. But if I were you, I would try to grow at least one tomato variety that is known for its flavor. All the same rules for growing tomatoes apply to these varieties.

You can find Arkansas Traveler, Jet Star, Marglobe, Homestead, Big Beef, Brandywine, and Black Prince at Home Depot and Lowe's.

If you go to local nurseries you can find Aker's West Virginia, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Black Krim, Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple, German Johnson, Mortgage Lifter, etc.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #3
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Are you asking if these are good choices for containers in general or if these are tasty/prolific/etc? Or perhaps both?

I've only grown one of the varieties you listed (Better Bush) and it was years ago. I do remember that it was a well mannered plant (read: not huge) and produced a lot of blemish-free fruits. It survived my clumsy 'first time gardening' efforts so I'm thinking that earns it major bonus points too. I don't remember much about the flavor though, sorry.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately it's too late to start seeds of New Big Dwarf.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #5
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Heh you think so? I just started two seeds for the fall crop. Maybe it will not produce but I just want to try one for taste test.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #6
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Well I was meaning the fact that they are in containers, but now that you mention it, taste too I guess. First time container/tomato grower (actually first time I've ever tried to grow anything), and the phrase "fumbling first timer" is very appropriate. I actually planted one of those sweet 100 today and 2 cucs and 2 green peppers. For a family of 4 I think I'll have us covered!
Old May 24, 2007   #7
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Did you plant the Sweet 100 in a container too? I tried that last year and was pleasantly surprised. It seemed to like container growing just fine and was VERY productive. It's not the sweetest tomato I've ever tried but it did have a pleasant sweet/fruity undertone.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #8
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Yes in a container, I wanted to try out the cheaper WM self waterers and put it in a 18 qt pot. Now I just need to experiment with the automatic dripper before the really hot days start up. The main problem I'm having with gardening in general, is that I don't have hardly any full sun choices, other than my front yard. My whole property is filled with oak trees and they rule out 95% of my property. I have a little area that has some decorative shrubs and azaleas in the front of the house and for now I'm kinda hiding all this vegetable stuff there. I'm sure I'll be the talk of the subdivision when all this stuff starts growing.
Old July 4, 2007   #9
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I've been using the GS self-watering containers for several years and can offer some advice.
1- Eva Purple Ball are hands down the best tomato I've ever had in one of these containers. While it's indeterminate, it is much more manageable than many of the cherry tomatoes. You'll get a very good yield, and this is a very tasty dark pink medium sized tomato that is worth growing. Others that have worked well for me have included Lemon Boy and Rutgers. I have not has as much success with the big beefsteak types. I'm not sure why. Those seem to do better in the ground.
2- You CAN grow cherry tomatoes in these containers, however, make sure that you buy the cage extenders that are also available from GS. For some reason, at least in my garden, the plants that grow in these containers act like they are on steroids in terms of the rapid growth and they will very soon outgrow the situation.

A couple of other pointers. In the very hot weather you will be refilling the water reservoirs either daily or every other day. Make sure also that you replenish the fertilizer mid-season. The soilless mix that you use for these containers really needs that added. Also, I've found it best to replace the soilless mix every year. One year I got lazy about it, and found that my plants were more prone to diseases if I didn't change it out.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote