Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 21, 2007   #1
hald
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Temperature

I'm using containers with water reservoirs. I'd like to rig up some automatic watering system because I'm watering about 4 times a day. The containers\plants are in afternoon shade. The "problem" is our hot climate.

Are tomato roots affected much by temperature? Is cool water 4 times a day beneficial? Conversely, if I maintained a constant water level in the reservoirs would the warm water be detrimental. Or does it matter much at all?
-Hal
hald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

hald, I live in Vermont. We run a hose (3 actually, hooked together) up the hill to the garden. Most of it runs through heavy shade and yet when I turn the water on it runs not just "warm" but downright hot for several minutes. Hot enough to poach fish or eggs. Just from the water sitting in the hose in the sun.

I would suspect that much like houseplants, tomatoes grown in pots would like balance as much as anything - drastic change in temperature tends to shock them. That said, I would still acquire a thermometer and run a check on the temp of the water sitting in the bottom of that box.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

hald, what type of containers are you using and what color. What is the volume of the reservoir and the container overall. I know hydroponic growers heat their nutrient solution, especially when growing in colder climates. You might want to check the temperature of the water in the reservoir before getting to concerned. Go to a pet shop that carries fish and aquariums and pick up one of the adhesive backed temperature strips you normally stick to the outside glass of the aquarium and you read the temperature on a bar graph. Just sick it on the outside of your reservoir and it will give you the temp. They are very inexpensive. Ami
Old June 21, 2007   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Not sure it matters - all of my tomatoes are in pots, at this point 6 foot plus indetermintes or 3 foot dwarfs, all loaded with fruit. I am at the point where I water them all twice a day - just let the hose run full steam into each pot until it runs out the bottom. The pots are on light concrete, full baking sun. The roots roast, then they get cooled - never noticed them reacting to temp swings either way. The key is enough water, esp. when the plants are big and loaded, so they don't get stressed and the fruit starts developing BER.
Old June 23, 2007   #5
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Craig
That's what I'm doing with my potted plants (all 5 of them on my deck). I water them daily, 'til the water runs from the pot. I was sure that I had lost most of them to sider mistes or white fly. But they seem to be sassier these days. new growth is a deeper, richer green. I used more bug spray than i have ever used before. But, just as i was getting ready to pull them all, they told me they want to live!!! They are putting out a lot of growth now, and what I notice is how much water these guys want. Perhaps, earlier, I didn't give them enough. Good luck, Bethy
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2007   #6
hald
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the opinions\suggestions. I was gifted with a hand held laser temperature device; it's great for cooking; this is another great use for it.

The containers are various colors, white, black, brown, blue. Some still have their original description labels. I'll check on the volume of the reservoirs. They are on tables. I always water with cool water.

I've noticed a watering related wilt\perk-up cycle in my eggplants, which are planted in earth boxes. Our days have averaged in the high 90's, only one day at 105. In their case I think they benefit from having their roots cooled.

The tomatoes and eggplants have all grown so big they provide plenty of shade for their containers. It really amazes me.

I'll start taking temps tomorrow, and if I have the time start keeping track of temperature and water use.
-Hal
hald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2007   #7
organichris
Tomatovillian™

When the soil temperature increases during the summer heat, it slows down the microbial activity. The downside to this is that nutrients are not readily being made available the same way they would if the temperature were not so hot. This may or may not affect your potted plants. That would depend on whether you grow organically or not. If you utilize water-soluble chemical fertilizers, plants should still be able to get plenty of nutrients either way.

The color of your pots also influences the heat of the soil. If they are black you can paint them green or white to make them cooler.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #8
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I would normally soak my potted tomatoes with a hose like you, but since I am not allowed to water I cannot do it that way. Ever used a water meter? I am wondering just how much water is too much. I want to give my potted 'maters a fighting chance in the heat and they get full sun, they are on a deck. Watering to run off is not something i have the luxury of doing at this time. The meter reads 1-10 with three stages, dry, moist, and wet. I keep worrying that wet is bad for them.

BTW what is BER?

Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #9
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyville View Post
BTW what is BER?

Kelley
BER = Blossom End Rot

There are quite a few threads here on this affliction if you search the forum database.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2007   #10
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Another thing you can do to control the root temperature of potted plants is bury the pot. This may also help with root-bound plants, since the roots will spread out throught the drainage holes.
Old June 27, 2007   #11
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Thats a good idea I guess but I only use pots at present because I don't have enough real garden space and of course it just seems habit to have some potted tomatoes on my deck I have an area that is sloped off my patio that will become a vege patch just a matter of fixing the slope and filling with dirt!

Will tomatoes grow in the shade? I was thinking of moving my pots to an area with limited sun so they would not dry out as fast but am afraid that will just stop growth.

Kelley
Old June 27, 2007   #12
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyville View Post
Thats a good idea I guess but I only use pots at present because I don't have enough real garden space and of course it just seems habit to have some potted tomatoes on my deck I have an area that is sloped off my patio that will become a vege patch just a matter of fixing the slope and filling with dirt!

Will tomatoes grow in the shade? I was thinking of moving my pots to an area with limited sun so they would not dry out as fast but am afraid that will just stop growth.

Kelley
I feel ya. I used to grow on a balcony when I lived in an apartment. I think the general rule of thumb is that tomatoes need at least six hours of light per day. When I grew on my balcony, the plants probably only got about that much light. The results were not that great, in part due to the fact that the plants dried out so quick, but the low light levels surely contributed also.
Old June 28, 2007   #13
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

At some point if it does not really rain here some of my tomatoes are going to end up being sacrificed. I have moved all my neighbors potted tomatoes and peppers to my house (watering for them while they are away) and they were so dry that it took watering five times a day for the last four days to get them wet. They are taking up a lot of my water. I do get to eat what ripens while here though! I love my neighbors but I wish they would come on back home and use thier own water!

Trying to figure out why some of my plants and hers have leaf curl and yellow leaves at the bottom. Leaf curl I thought was lack of water but also thought yellow at the bottom was lack of water!

Using that cheap water meter is not helping me much because I am confused on where I should be sticking this water meter. The top is dry, halfway down is moist, and bottom is wet. I am not having a good growing in pots year at all here
Old July 4, 2007   #14
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Just wondering, can you use your shower water for your plants.... you know any clean water that would go down the drain? You could shower with the drain closed in the AM and water your plant in the PM.... Perhaps that sounds too weird, but when I was visiting out West, some people had giant cisterns to collect their "clean" water. Meanwhile, let's pray for rain.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #15
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Nothing wrong with shower water! I have a bucket in the shower to collect the water while it gets hot! Now it could cause a problem if I collected the water during the entire shower though with soaps and oils and whatever else is living on a dirty body! If I think about it I usually have two buckets upstairs, one for the fresh wasted water and one for the soapy water. I have not seen too much over flow that looked dirty in the dirty bucket but I use that on perrenials since I won't be eating them or the okra I planted with perrenials since I will cook it before eating!

All the bathroom sinks are those big bowls that sit on top of the counter so I put large plastic bowls in them too to catch water...I just wish it would rain!

Kelley