Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 23, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default First beans of the year

Dragon Tongue, along with squash, cukes and Monomakh's Hat. The squash and beans will be part of dinner tonight. Really looking forward to the beans, first time for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harvest042308.jpg (235.2 KB, 80 views)
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Geez. Ok next year I'm planting earlier and I'll just have to be ready with blankets or whatever.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It all looks great! I'll be planting some beans this weekend. Have a good dinner!
Old April 23, 2008   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Morgan, I have to thank you for praising the dragon tongue beans as they are fantastic. Tossed with some olive oil and a little sea salt, baked at 400 degrees for 15 or so minutes. touch of butter and enjoy!! And Suze of course for turning me on to the Monomakh's Hat. 75 dtm last fall and right round 60 this spring and my first tomato of the year! The Prolific yellow squash was just beginners luck I think, but it was gosh darnoodley good as well. Sliced baked turkey breast, beans and squash along with some brown rice made a helluva meal. Even though I am full, my mouth is watering just typing about it. Now for that first BLT and salad with a homegrown mater
Old April 23, 2008   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! I wish I had reserved more room for the Dragon Tongue beans this year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 26, 2008   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Morgan, I have to thank you for praising the dragon tongue beans as they are fantastic. Tossed with some olive oil and a little sea salt, baked at 400 degrees for 15 or so minutes. touch of butter and enjoy!! And Suze of course for turning me on to the Monomakh's Hat. 75 dtm last fall and right round 60 this spring and my first tomato of the year! The Prolific yellow squash was just beginners luck I think, but it was gosh darnoodley good as well. Sliced baked turkey breast, beans and squash along with some brown rice made a helluva meal. Even though I am full, my mouth is watering just typing about it. Now for that first BLT and salad with a homegrown mater
Man oh man, now I'm REALLY hungry. I'm surprised to see the harvested squash. Anything special you did like micro-climate or starting indoors to get them off and running so soon?

I will be trying soom Dragon Tongue beans this summer as well. After tomatoes, string beans might just be next in line for favorite all around vegetable.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2008   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Ruth, I used miracle grow potting soil in one container and a product similiar sold by HEB under their texas backyard brand in the other 2. I mixed in some manure, bonemeal and green sand and planted. Harvested 10 squash this week but this morning I noticed that some of the small female blossoms are turning yellow and falling off before even opening. A couple days ago I had a small sprinkler turned on low to give them a drink. I forgot about it and an hour later all three containers were full of water. They drained quickly but Im thinking that might be what happened. Hopefully they will bounce back and start producing again. I did hand pollinate the first 6 fruit.
Old April 28, 2008   #8
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

It all looks fantastic and mouth-watering!! I have Dragon Tongue to plant, also. I've had it before and would agree it is YUMMY. Man, I can't wait to have a daily harvest to enjoy at supper, with the addition of a nice slicer of course.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

With 21 sq ft (3 x 3 and 3 x 4) I am buried in Dragon Tongue. I have picked over a gallon so far. I've already frozen 2 quarts and will probably pick another gallon in the next 2 weeks.

Old May 16, 2008   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Mine were planted in 21 sqft as well. 84 plants so I got buried as well. I didnt keep track but I think I got 3-4 gallons of beans before they began to fizzle out. Planted 2 sowings of Roma II in their place and also sowed a few Kentucky Wonder that a friend had left over. Im not sure how they will do with the heat thats coming, will see
Old May 19, 2008   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Harvested another 2 quarts yesterday, and probably another 2 quarts in 2-3 days. So almost 2 1/2 gallons from 21 sq ft. Then a break as they get another flush of flowers.

Then I have to decide when to pick the Uncle Walt's.

Old June 10, 2008   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We ate our first beans of the year tonight. The only bush variety we grew this time, Fin de Bagnol. They were great! We have pole snaps and pole limas in but it'll be a while before we can pick any of those. When these bush beans finish up I'll probably sow some more. These have to be picked before they get strings (French filet type) but they were so good, they were worth the close attention I had to pay them.
Old June 12, 2008   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Roma II in a raised bed is flowering now and I also have Kentucky Wonder in the ground. Having to water the Roma beans twice a day. I really need to add something to my raised beds so they will retain moisture better. They are bone dry everyafternoon when I get home
Old June 12, 2008   #14
ChuckBartok
Tomatovillian™

Default At least we are together there...

We just started harvesting Kentucky Wonder pole Beans, Plants are way above the 7' trellis

Posted Weeek 10 Tomato progress just a moment ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFvD6M6sm7Q

and also on Yahoo, I still think Yahoo is better quality

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2888037/8292325

Don't forget to comment please and rate, I appreciate it

Last edited by ChuckBartok; June 12, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
ChuckBartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2008   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Last two nights we've had our first beans of the year - Xera and Jade (two really nice green bush beans, very productive, slender, delicious!) - for such fresh, early beans, we blanche them for 4 min, then just a bit of butter, salt, pepper and some fresh chives. Just incredible how good these first harvested veggies taste!

So, lettuce is done (100 degree days bolted them all), with chard, squash and basil, cukes - PK (thanks, Suze - nice variety) bearing, Diva just setting - now beans - in progress. There are a few small hot peppers that are certainly pickable....eggplant just budding, and perhaps a Mexico Midget or Sungold in two weeks or so at the most!

Still waiting for my first melons to set!