Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old December 3, 2007   #1
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone still enjoying garden tomatoes?

We made a batch of soup from green tomatoes that were harvested before frost and allowed to ripen in our cold pantry. It was quite zesty! I have about a quart of AGG remaining that I will serve for breakfast on toast this week.

Anyone else still using stored tomatoes?

Lisa
Old December 3, 2007   #2
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeh..I am. I still have lots of salsa and jarred maters. Frozen sauces and pastes.
Old December 3, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Huh? I'm still picking fresh tomatoes!

>>> Oh wait, this is the CHOPTAG forum, my mistake!! <<<

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old December 3, 2007   #4
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Sure, Lisa, we have about two dozen that are just now ready to eat fresh.
Only 3 1/2 months until seed planting time.
Time to decide what's on the list for '08.
We loved the Lime Green Salad-thanks for the seed.
Dave
Old December 4, 2007   #5
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Enjoying tomatoes

I did pick a goodly number of green tomatoes before the last killing frost. The Berkley Tie Dye Heart was slow in ripening. But I have had several of those and a few Sicilian Saucers to ripen. Katharine and I had our dinner at home on Thanksgiving Day; I cut two tomatoes and those things must have had lots of acid because I had a small nick on my little finger and the juice caused it to really burn. I thought now this is going to be a good tomato! And it was!
I am doing ok. Katharine had her Lung surgery in October for a biopsy and we received the results. She has nonspecific Interstatial Lung Disease; this is an umbrella term for about 200 rare lung diseases. She is on a high dosage of steroids now and is being monitored very closely by her doctor.
Hope all of you have a great Christmas!
Gary
Old December 4, 2007   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Well, I have four left that are turning red right now (Cherokee Purple, Dona, Druzba, and a Ark Traveler). After this week, no more until Christmas time when my outdoor Stupice, Kimberly, Siberia, Cherokee Chocolate, and Sun Gold should be ripening (if the frost doesn't ding me first).

Ray in Upstate California
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2763.JPG (236.6 KB, 8 views)
Old December 5, 2007   #7
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

we are still eating Green Zebras and Bonnie Best. The tops of the plants got a little burned last week, but the days are back to 76 and nights back to 45 degrees, another cold snap coming this weekend. Will probably pick all the vines this week. 8)