Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 23, 2014   #1
bigblue
Tomatovillian™

Default yellow and dropping leaves

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can put a finger on this. I potted these up to 4” x 4” x 4” pots about 4-5 weeks ago. They are in Miracle Grow “Organic Choice Potting Mix”. After a initially not feeding them I was advised to/and have been feeding them ½ strength Urban Farms Vegetable fertilizer. All has been going well they perked up and for the last 3 weeks I have had them for a few hours each day in the window in direct sun. About 4-6 days ago the lower leaves started getting yellow and dry. The plants still look healthy on the top. I am watering only once a week (and feeding) so the mix is quite dry before they get watered (but don’t wilt). I don’t think they are over watered. Maybe not enough fertilizer? I am puzzled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (300.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (269.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (290.8 KB, 96 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mgOrganicChoicePottingMix-1.pdf (2.20 MB, 2 views)
bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

They will naturally drop their oldest growth as they mature, I wouldn't change anything.
They look like they are just getting cramped in their pots from being in there for 4-5 weeks.
They want to go outside and play. That's the problem with starting plants too early for your zone.
Your last frost date is probably about a month away like mine unless the forecast turns unseasonably warm for May. If they get root bound they are going look unhappy and you may have to pot them up again in a larger container until they can go to their final location.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look OK to me. Like Ray says, they just need to get outside in real daylight in the garden or big pots. Are you beginning to harden them off? That is a process that takes at least 10 days so should begin soon for planting out in your area I am guessing mid May-ish? When you transplant them into their final location after they are fully hardened off, plant them deeply to bury most of the stems up right up to the to the leaves.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Is the fertilizer organic and dry? I think its hard for little potted seedlings to utilize most organics. Fish emulsion is an exception, and kelp. I'd give them a diluted,liquid meal and see how it goes.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #5
bigblue
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I appreciate the input. Maybe its time for larger containers.
bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #6
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the input. Maybe its time for larger containers.
Yep, if you have 4 weeks left till plant out, I would put those guys in 20 oz. cups and bury them to just above the leaves. You will develop extra roots along the stem. They will take off faster once outside.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Never herd of feeding tomato plants in small pots, the leavers are to big in the shots. Stop feeding them and but them outsite or inside no more sun for a week. This will slow them down in the pots.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote