Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 10, 2010   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default "The Blacks" Tomato du jour

For those who sell their tomatoes, I wanted to speak about a trend here in Wyoming. I only grow only paste varieties for my sun-dried tomato business. Until a couple of years ago, Chef's bought whatever I had and had "No Opinion". That changed when they read what I consider to be the hype, about the available "black" varieties and the descriptions that ranged from exotic to smokey-flavored to "they will make you live longer" (not really but very nearly...)

My husband grows tomatoes for the Farmer's Market. Last year, he grew about 15 varieties of Blacks (those who saw the list of seeds I was giving away can see that he took the requests of his customers to heart.) He reports that he sold every black variety he took to market ahead of any other red, pink, orange, green or yellow variety he took to sell. Customers asked him continually where he got the seed and wanted to know if he sold plants in the spring.

Tomato popularity runs in cycles as we all know. Heirlooms in general are attracting quite a lot of attention but the Black varieties are causing what I consider to be, quite a stir. Whether I personally believe all the hype does not matter. I think everyone who sells to market should cash in on the current rage for Blacks while the feeding frenzy ( ) is at it's peak.
And use that "hype" to your advantage...My husband had a arge poster with all of the descriptions about taste, etc and I think that also attracted a lot of buyers. Just sayin'...
Old February 10, 2010   #2
JulieTA
Tomatovillian™

Great recommendation, thank you! I'm glad I ordered lots of purple/black seeds! :-)
JulieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Good pointer. Does your husband hand out samples or is it you buy it to find out how they taste? Buyers at the farm market by me are "meat and potatoes", so they are afraid to buy the unusual and like to stick to the traditional red.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #4
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Dust
have samples to taste of only the blacks you think taste great and no REDS - people are always into samples - then have people signup for which black they would like you to have next year - and if you sell plants take pre-orders
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #5
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I sell heirloom tomato plants at local farmers markets and I noticed the same trend at my market also. Red varities had always been the most popular then last spring the blacks really took off, outselling all the other others including the reds by about 500% it was amazing. I'm not sure what will happen this year but I am prepared.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The cuurent fad for so called black tomatoes started back in the mid to late 90's and is still going on today as I see it. Some areas of the country were on to it ASAP and others have lagged behind. If I pull out one of my SSE YEarbooks from the early 90's, which I'm not going to do b'c then the pile collapses, falls into the next pile of them and that collapses, etc, there were less than FIVE black varieties listed and now it's way up over maybe 150 although I didn't take the time to count; some in the other color section and some in the pink/purple section.

Several of us had predicted that the next fad would be for the green when ripes and that has come to pass.

The problem I see is that when there's a fad there are folks who change names of varieties to make something look unique and that certainly happened with the many blacks along the way, and I suspect that the same thing will be happening shortly with the green when ripes.

A lot of the blacks aren't family heirlooms at all. They're the result of natural crossing and selections from that cross. And some have been deliberately bred.

In the long run if you like the taste of something run with it, but with all that's gone on in the black and green when ripe tomato world don't bet on each variety being unique and for sure don't assume that all of them are family heirlooms, b'c they aren't.
Old February 10, 2010   #7
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

and mutations too
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2010   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Good pointer. Does your husband hand out samples or is it you buy it to find out how they taste? Buyers at the farm market by me are "meat and potatoes", so they are afraid to buy the unusual and like to stick to the traditional red.
Yes, he did samples (he does of all of his tomatoes) Likewise here, a predominantly Mormon farming community but they have fallen in love with the blacks.
Old February 10, 2010   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The current fad for so called black tomatoes started back in the mid to late 90's and is still going on today as I see it. Some areas of the country were on to it ASAP and others have lagged behind. If I pull out one of my SSE Yearbooks from the early 90's, which I'm not going to do b'c then the pile collapses, falls into the next pile of them and that collapses, etc, there were less than FIVE black varieties listed and now it's way up over maybe 150 although I didn't take the time to count; some in the other color section and some in the pink/purple section.

Several of us had predicted that the next fad would be for the green when ripes and that has come to pass.

The problem I see is that when there's a fad there are folks who change names of varieties to make something look unique and that certainly happened with the many blacks along the way, and I suspect that the same thing will be happening shortly with the green when ripes.

A lot of the blacks aren't family heirlooms at all. They're the result of natural crossing and selections from that cross. And some have been deliberately bred.

In the long run if you like the taste of something run with it, but with all that's gone on in the black and green when ripe tomato world don't bet on each variety being unique and for sure don't assume that all of them are family heirlooms, b'c they aren't.
"Midnight in Moscow" rings a bell... I do know that many who bought from my husband were interested in the ones that came for Russian, Poland and the other Slavic regions. He also said that he had at least 4 customers that told him they heard the blacks had 5 times the Lycopene of reds or other colors ( ) and that they would lengthen your life span from 2 to 10 years ( ) Shameless seller that my Husband is, he said nothing to dissuade them. I carped at him about it but he said it was not his fault they read and believed that and it's not a good idea to argue with your customers....Now if only I could grow one that was purported to cure baldness...
Old February 11, 2010   #10
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
....Now if only I could grow one that was purported to cure baldness...
Well, there are a few tomatoes that have "peach fuzz" and if your husband is bald, he could say he's trying out a cure for baldness that he heard about. (Where did he hear about it? Right here on tomatoville....)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #11
dave
Tomatovillian™

has anyone grown the black tomato "Morado" that Baker Creek sells and states in the catalog "should be a good variety for the market grower" dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #12
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default Blacks

I sell alot of tomatoes, and alot of them go to chefs. The blacks have picked up big, I dont plant to many red's at all and they are not missed.
My biggest seller last year was Spears Tennesee Green. Followed very close by Black From Tula, and Oxacan Jewel and Orange Russian 117.
The absolute best cherry tomatoes were Black cherry and Snow White.
My oxhearts always go good also.

Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #13
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Oaxacan Jewel is a favorite here. Big and really pretty sliced and always does well no matter the season. It is one we plan on growing in Mexico as that is it's native local anyway. And for a big tomato, the plants produce quite a lot of fruit. Of all the blacks, Balck From Tula is my very favorite.
It is just a work horse and looks good, tastes good and does well in our short season area. I think Tula get's overlooked a lot by growers.
Old February 11, 2010   #14
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelord View Post
I sell alot of tomatoes, and alot of them go to chefs. The blacks have picked up big, I dont plant to many red's at all and they are not missed.
My biggest seller last year was Spears Tennesee Green. Followed very close by Black From Tula, and Oxacan Jewel and Orange Russian 117.
The absolute best cherry tomatoes were Black cherry and Snow White.
My oxhearts always go good also.

Icelord
My husband added stuffing tomatoes two years ago and the chef's LOVE them . Zapotec, Yellow Stuffer, A red and yellow striped one who's name escapes me and a couple of others. I also shared recipe's for various stuffing recipes that he handed out. These were a big hit.
Old February 11, 2010   #15
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Striped Cavern?

I made the mistake of growing that last year. My mother used them for a bridge club luncheon, and they were a hit. Now I'm stuck growing them, and they don't have the best flavor, in my opinion. I am trying some of the bi-colors to try and find something with more flavor to distract Mom.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote