Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 19, 2010   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant sales: Any files for printing descriptors and images?

I'm thinking that with the names of the plants that I will be taking to our weekly market in the spring that MOST of the locals have never heard of the varieties we discuss. Might any of you have a computer file that contains something along the lines of 4X5 like cards with images and descriptors that could be used to generate either a notebook or individual placard cards to print descriptions, history, images etc., so that potential buyers could at least see and read about what they would be considering purchasing? Seems otherwise, with the many old and especially the foreign names, they wouldn't have a clue.

Too, have any of you developed some sort of background sign to differentiate the value of these plants (features and benefits) in terms of quality and uniqueness, versus the standards grown or sold by the commercial outlets.? Deeper roots, better soil mixes, microrganisms added, unique varieties, transplantings to generate roots, rare varieties, etc.?

Call this a plant marketing thread...Other plants sales ideas?
Plant sales here normally start in one month!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit that while I make a card like you want, for the most part I took the easy way out and simply copied a pic and text from whatever seed catalog I originally got the seed from. Of course I edited out some of the really excessive flowery stuff and added anything personal I had for the variety.

Personally I like the Printmaster program for making my signs. Fairly simple and you can go back and edit a file at any time. Some programs like PSP or Photoshop can make a sign but after you save it it's hard to edit in the future. Printmaster is also what I use for all my labels. Much more versitile than M$ programs.

I'm not sure if you can see the signs I make in this pic or not. There is a variety sign taped on the shelf for each flat as each flat is different.

One of the best things I did for making signs is to get a laser printer. Even hot laminating an ink jet printed sigh didn't last very long at all doing the outdoor markets not to mention the need to water the flats daily.

I print on 4 x 6 index cards so be sure your printer can go that small and is capable of using 65 lb "card stock". I occasionally also print some price signs on the larger 5 x 8 index cards.

Doing the laminating does the best to make the signs look "professional". That can be a PITB tho as it's next to impossible to find the laminating pouches for those small sizes. I have found tho that you can do 2 - 5 x 8 cards in a "letter" size pouch and 4 - 4 x 6 cards in a "legal" pouch and both of them are common at the office stores. Then you need a paper cutter to do a nice job of cutting them apart.

Yup, doing a nice job of stuff requires a well equiped office. More than a person might think for a "garden" job.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ray-spring2.jpg (368.7 KB, 182 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Carol,
That was a beautiful shot of a VERY nice street market. Remined me of places I saw in England and France where they hold markets on the town squares on Wednesdays. Here its more like a place where folks bring their trucks and sell their wares off the back and on a table.

I thought surely that with the level of expertise reflected on the forum postings someone might have automated the process. I'm leery of copying anyone's files from anyone's website as some get funny about such things. Most of what I have came from the regulars here...either through their online stores or as very kind gifts and trades. Maybe it would be an asset to the forum for us all to work together to develop such descriptor files with images, descriptions and history that would be easily downloadable. I can use my own Canon EOS 1Ds for images later, but I'm trying to develop something for the spring markets and didn't want to reinvent the wheel. Seems images and descriptions that could be assured of accuracy and enjoyed by all would be a real forum asset.
Old February 19, 2010   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the Madison market is a great place. When the weather is nice it becomes a social event for the Saturday morning. It's set up on the grounds of the state capitol and after they shop, they can sit on the lawn or go inside and tour the building.

I know what you mean about copying things. I just haven't had time to upgrade my signage at all. I'm hoping to have pics of my own plants for everything eventually. Last year I got about 40 pics, but no where near as nice as those catalog pics.

BTW, if you notice, most of the catalogs use the same pic for the same variety. I'm guessing those pics came from the big companies that wholesale the seeds. So I'm not too concerned about using those pics on sales cards. I want to eventually get my own pics for my web site tho. I've stayed away from using pics from the smaller sites that I know are much like myself and doing it all themself.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #5
JulieTA
Tomatovillian™

I did signs for all the the varieties I carried last year, with a picture, few sentences of copy, and then a very consistent block of information so that customers could easily find information for comparison among varieties (size, determinate vs. indet., days to harvest, etc.) I printed the signs on card stock, trimmed to a 4 x 6 size, and inserted the sign into a plastic picture frame that I would place in front of each variety of plants. I had really good response to the signage...and I also had two "catalogs" for customers to look through--basically, the same signage with a bit more information, placed into a binder, and organized according to color or type (i.e. paste, cherries, etc.) Honestly--I used Word to create all the signs and catalog pages. It was very easy to create the documents, just time consuming. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Julie

P.S. I do always ask my seed suppliers for permission to use their photos, both for signage and my website. They've been incredibly generous about it.
JulieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #6
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTA View Post
I did signs for all the the varieties I carried last year, with a picture, few sentences of copy, and then a very consistent block of information so that customers could easily find information for comparison among varieties (size, determinate vs. indet., days to harvest, etc.) I printed the signs on card stock, trimmed to a 4 x 6 size, and inserted the sign into a plastic picture frame that I would place in front of each variety of plants. I had really good response to the signage...and I also had two "catalogs" for customers to look through--basically, the same signage with a bit more information, placed into a binder, and organized according to color or type (i.e. paste, cherries, etc.) Honestly--I used Word to create all the signs and catalog pages. It was very easy to create the documents, just time consuming. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Julie

P.S. I do always ask my seed suppliers for permission to use their photos, both for signage and my website. They've been incredibly generous about it.
What you did was exactly what I had in mind, but stored by each variety somehow here as a resource ...whether in WORD or PDF. It seems such a silly waste of time for every member who has to create such signs and notebooks to have to redo what is so totally generic. Would love to hear from the owners and moderators if it would even be feasable.
Old February 24, 2010   #7
Anijunga
Tomatovillian™

I put all my tomato information in an Excel file and then do a directory mail merge in Word using a table to organize my data. I then scour the Internet for good photos of the varieties I have (I don't ask for permission to use them, I eventually plan to have all my own photos). I make three booklets organized by the following: alphabet, colour and shape. I print off all the pages and put them in sheet protectors so I don't have to worry about getting them wet.

I create laminated 4"x5" mini signs of each variety with just the name and photo of the tomato that I attach to 2' bamboo sticks and put into a group of the same plants. I also print off transplanting and care tips on a half sheet of paper that I give to each customer. In my region, I put up 8.5 x 11 posters of the dates of sales for my plants with my address, phone number, email, price and photos of select tomatoes with an area to rip off my contact info at the bottom of the page. On the day of sale, I put 2' x 3' signs on the main roads with arrows directing people to my driveway. I also advertise in the local paper and on things like Craigslist.

I don't mind sharing all my files if anyone wants it. It's a lot of work and I know how annoying it is to try and organize everything.
Old February 28, 2010   #8
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

mens
Here is a copy of the PM I sent to you 2-19-10
Many of the pics I use are my own and some from defunct companies.
You are welcome to them. Send me an email and I will mail you a sample.
Let me know your varieities. These are all PDF in word documents so you can change verbage as you wish.
Dennis
2-19-10 PM below
mens
I have a bunch of them with info - have permission to use for seeds from Tomatofest I bought but a lot of them have been borrowed over the years - time to make new ones???

anyway my email is mtbigfish@earthlink.net let me know and I will send you some

Let me know what tomatoes you need them for

Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010   #9
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
mens
Here is a copy of the PM I sent to you 2-19-10
Many of the pics I use are my own and some from defunct companies.
You are welcome to them. Send me an email and I will mail you a sample.
Let me know your varieities. These are all PDF in word documents so you can change verbage as you wish.
Dennis
2-19-10 PM below
mens
I have a bunch of them with info - have permission to use for seeds from Tomatofest I bought but a lot of them have been borrowed over the years - time to make new ones???

anyway my email is mtbigfish@earthlink.net let me know and I will send you some

Let me know what tomatoes you need them for

Dennis
With several days of dry weather and soil I have been working hard to get as much composted hay and manure as possible into this clay soil. Since I can only use the tiller for short intervals, it has been a major job...moving the compost into the soil and then tilling it in. One more day before more rain. When hurting from the tilling, I shift to potting and repotting. Even that is slow work because of having to label each cup. I WILL make it a point to try to do an inventory this week. Rain is on the way, so that will force me to get caught up on more inside work. 1:30 a.m. here and waiting for a pain med to kick in. Trouble with a CPAP machine is it forces me to stay on my back when sleeping and that is the worst possible position for a throbbing back and hips.

Funny thing is, after the two strokes and the onset of this spine and hip disease, this little tomato project was really a life saver in terms of forcing me to plan for the future and to get outside. What started as an intended five varieties, after following the forum and rading Carol's book led me to so many wonderful seed sales folk here. I have no idea how many varieties I now have, but this part of Georgia will surely have plenty of heirloom plants. Tables and shelves are full of plants and I still have many trays full of seedlings to be potted. The past two months have flown by quickly and planting time is just a few weeks away here. My email: mensplace@bellsouth.net
Old March 1, 2010   #10
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Mens
Cool when you get closer to organized and have time let me know what plants you have and I'll shoot you what you need
mtbigfish@earthlink.net
Dennis
Old March 3, 2010   #11
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

If it is still your intention to find a universal template that serves the general forum, mensplace, it would be great if you could share the docs here.

I would certainly be interested and I know more and more people are turning to markets as a second or third income, or even just for the pure pleasure of it!

I'm using Word at present, but it would be great to have several templates where the change of a little info leads to a large improvement...

huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #12
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Hunt
Yes you have to have a different card for each tomato - takes 1/2 of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet per variety (2 per sheet) but you make it only once for a variety and then you can add them all to a binder which includes the tomato name, picture and information about the variety.

I also made several extras as friends and neighbors who came to our house would always ask - what's this tomato and this one and this one - I eventually printed a sheet of cards then took them to a shop where they did a 10 mil laminate (cost me $50-65 for 150 sheets or 300 cards.
I then cut them sheets in half so you had 2 cards and used a whole punch to make holes to use those slip ties - name?? - to attach them to my tomato cage or stake and walla - no more ??? my friends/neighbors would wander by the plants and read all about them.

They have lasted 5 seasons though a few have lost some of the color as I used cheap photo paper and some water leaked on a few where I punched holes (working on a solution for that).
Other are still looking good but eventuall will make more new ones and have to when I add varieties.

They also work great when selling tomato plants because you can use a binder and show the customer or let them look at the variety they are interested in.
They would probably work for selling fruit as the customers can read all about the taste etc with the card in front of the variety being sold.
Kind of like some of the big plant sales do at colleges , tomatomania and Fullerton Arboretum by me. I am sure many have seen something like this at a nursey etc.

Hunt if you are interested send me a PM with your email and I will shoout you a sample - just let me know a couple of the varieties you are growing and I will attach them and send to you in an email.

It's nothing new I just took some time to put some together and you can edit as you wish - they are in word with a pic added.

Dennis
Old March 3, 2010   #13
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

That sounds absolutely perfect, Dennis - thank you!

I can picture exactly what you describe, and suggest ladies' nail varnish (clear) for the punch hole problem. Before adding the ziploc/cable tie of course

huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #14
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Paul
Oh I was thinking hot pink for the pink maters, hooker red for the reds, lime green for the greens, lavender for the purples etc
dang looked in the drawer and my wife doesn't have those colors.

Sent a sample of Marianna's Peace and Stupice for you to give me your opinions
Dennis
Old March 3, 2010   #15
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carol
Have you used the same carts to make into seedling carts with flouro lights attached ? Those look like 48X24X74" ones with the rollers - we have 3 we use for backup pantry supplies in the garage that we got from Costco $79 ea but they are 48X18X74"
I have been looking for carts to take some of my old slider mechanisms for flouro lights and add to these carts looking at the 48X24X74 $149
60X24X74 $189 and 72X24X74 $207 (they do have 86 and 96" tall also)and have been looking for better prices - I have the wheels which add 4-6" so don't have to pay the extra $30
Do you ever find you would like 36" deep ? If you were using for plant light stands?

Dennis

I haven't started any of the seeds we traded yet - was already in the process of starting with what I had set aside already.
Let me know what you think of the Ella's Pink Plum. Have you seeded yet?