Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 5, 2016   #16
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I thought I might revive this thread as I am new here and planting season is just around the corner.

I grew Terra Rosa last year and highly recommend it. They have a red center as well as a red exterior. They have a super buttery flavor-I think they were best roasted. I bought 5 pounds of seed potatoes (ended up with six) and the yield was incredible. I would guess we'll over 100 pounds.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

I have gotten potatoes from the following company for many years (used to be Ronninger's and Milk Ranch, now they are merged) and have had excellent service from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm on the outskirts of farm country and can buy a few common seed potato varieties in bulk at hardware stores and the grocery in nearby smaller communities. Garden centers carry seed potatoes, including Fingerlings, from Holland in small fancy boxes. Why Holland for potatoes?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I'm on the outskirts of farm country and can buy a few common seed potato varieties in bulk at hardware stores and the grocery in nearby smaller communities. Garden centers carry seed potatoes, including Fingerlings, from Holland in small fancy boxes. Why Holland for potatoes?

- Lisa
Lisa, Holland/Netherlands and Belgium make the best darn fried potatoes in the world hands down.
I have had them in both counties and have spent the rest of my life trying to duplicate them.
One of the reasons is they use beef tallow the other is the variety.
Where the US is stuck on the reds and russets these people excel when it comes to potatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #20
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Got my 5#s of assorted fingerlings ready to go this year, a lot of people around here plant on St Patricks Day, I'm going to wait a week or two.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I should jump over to the potato forum and learn more, thanks.

Back to fingerlings, Menards (midwest hardware store) has 4 varieties for 5 dollars each tiny bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Lisa, Holland/Netherlands and Belgium make the best darn fried potatoes in the world hands down.
I have had them in both counties and have spent the rest of my life trying to duplicate them.
One of the reasons is they use beef tallow the other is the variety.
Where the US is stuck on the reds and russets these people excel when it comes to potatoes.

Worth
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #22
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

For those of you who grow fingerlings well, anything special about growing them? I did few fingerlnigs right next to Red Norland and while had good main crop, fingerling were few and between. So this year I am planning to do some pots with fingerlings.
Any suggestions?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #23
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Farmers Market Potatoes BIG Problem

Here in the Bozeman area many of the US supply of seed potatoes are grown. The problem with different potato diseases is critical to this major industry. Commercial sold seed potatoes are treated to prevent disease. Recently there have been small out breaks of disease blamed on grocery store or farmers market seed potatoes. So in our area do not buy untreated seed potatoes.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Here in the Bozeman area many of the US supply of seed potatoes are grown. The problem with different potato diseases is critical to this major industry. Commercial sold seed potatoes are treated to prevent disease. Recently there have been small out breaks of disease blamed on grocery store or farmers market seed potatoes. So in our area do not buy untreated seed potatoes.
Any idea as to what they treat them with?
Worth
Old April 9, 2016   #25
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Treatment??

I will ask my soil guru next time I see her. Probably nothing long lasting or too bad. More later.
Old April 10, 2016   #26
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
For those of you who grow fingerlings well, anything special about growing them? I did few fingerlnigs right next to Red Norland and while had good main crop, fingerling were few and between. So this year I am planning to do some pots with fingerlings.
Any suggestions?
Lindalana, I've been growing fingerlings for 10 years and have tried various kinds. I find that fingerlings just produce less than "regular" white potatoes. I've grown both at the same time and the fingerlings always produce a smaller crop. I like them, so I keep growing them. Especially since they are very expensive to buy at the grocery store. Perhaps there is a reason for that. Less production equals higher price.

This will be my third year growing Austrian Crescent and Red Thumb from seeds I saved from the year before. Both are good and I get as good a yield as any other fingerling I've grown.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #27
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I have gotten potatoes from the following company for many years (used to be Ronninger's and Milk Ranch, now they are merged) and have had excellent service from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/
Hey Imp, since you garden in the heat like I do, can you tell me which potatoes you like best?
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #28
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Worth1 Question

What do commercial growers of seed potatoes put on the potatoes to stop virus and blight?
Nothing, no really nothing. They do very comprehensive field inspection and scientific lab work to determine that all are free of any issues. This is very rigorous work to become or continue certification of disease free.

This seed potato business in southwest Montana is worth many Billions of dollars locally and many more Billions to the finial growers.
Old April 12, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
What do commercial growers of seed potatoes put on the potatoes to stop virus and blight?
Nothing, no really nothing. They do very comprehensive field inspection and scientific lab work to determine that all are free of any issues. This is very rigorous work to become or continue certification of disease free.

This seed potato business in southwest Montana is worth many Billions of dollars locally and many more Billions to the finial growers.
Thanks for your reply I knew you would come through.
It came from something I read on the internet that I thought was a wee bit not right.
Due to the same thing you said.
Constant inspection.
If there was something found they would shut the field down for seed potato production from what I have read.

Worth
Old April 13, 2016   #30
whoose
Tomatovillian™

I positive test of 1,000's and the file is gone. But disease free seed potatoes.