Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 18, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default First look at 2006 Tomato Germination

What a treat - got home from a week in Philadelphia to incredible germination in my tomato seeds!

Planted two flats of 50 cells, between 20 and 35 seeds per cell. Seeds were planted on Feb.12 (Sunday), first looked at Feb. 17 (Friday).

Flat 1:

2005 saved seed - 13 cells - all 13 emerging in 5 days
2004 - 6 cells - all emerging in 5 days
2003 - 7 cells - ditto
2002 - 10 cells - ditto
2001 - 4 cells - ditto
2000 - 4 cells - ditto
1998 - 1 cell - emerged in 6 days
newly purchased - 5 cells; 4 are up, 1 remains (fresh Arkansas Traveller from Southern Exposure Seed Ex)

The above includes 2003 saved Black Cherry. No bottom heat used. I think that this supports that there is very little to no difference between tomato varieties with respect to germination.

Flat 2 -

2005 saved seed - 14 cells - all but one in 5 days, 1 in 6 days
2004 - 8 cells - 7 emerged in 5 days, awaiting 1 cell
2003 - 6 cells - all emerged in 5 days
2002 - 7 cells - all emerged in 5 days
2001 - 3 cells - all emerged in 5 days
2000 - 4 cells - all emerged in 5 days
newly purchased seed - 8 cells - all emerged in 5 days

It will take about a week to determine germination percentage, as there is variation on emergence per cell. Some varieties do tend to just leap out - Brandywine and Cuostralee are two that always exhibit this, even in 2002 and 2001 saved seed, respectively.

I will take some pics and post later on.
Old February 18, 2006   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Very good results Craig. I'd draw one conclusion slightly different to yours. Seed under 6 years old germinates readily in 5 to 8 days. I've seen older seed germinate in a range with 10 year old seed at 12 days up to 25 days for 16 year old seed.

Taken on a graph, I expect the graph would be nearly flat up to 5 or 6 years old and they would curve rather sharply around 10 years.

I've had excellent germination overall. I have about 150 varieties planted of which 27 were low. I only have 2 varieties that have given zero germination. Fortunately, they were only grown for personal use so no major loss. The seed are also easily replaced. for the rest of the 27, I have plenty of saved seed so I just started another couple of trays with 120 or more seed per cell. Most of these are giving 5 to 10 percent germination so with 120 seed to start with I should wind up with 5 or 10 plants per cell. Thats enough for me to grow plantsl, have a few to sell, and have 3 plants per variety to save fresh seed.

Fusion

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #3
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Hoooray...Craig. Must be gratifying to go away on important business & return to find that all is well with the babes! GOOD for you!!
Old February 18, 2006   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Glad to see you’re on your way to another successful season. I don’t envy your job of potting up all those seedlings.

I forget, how many bags of Metro-Mix do you go through?

Jerry
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey, Jerry! I think that we typically go through about 45 bags of either MetroMix or Fafard each season - that includes mix for our large tomato and pepper and eggplant driveway pots. I can usually get 150-200 4 inch pots per 2.8 cu foot bag. But can't think of transplanting yet - that is for early to mid March. Still a few flats of seeds to plant yet!
Old February 21, 2006   #6
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting pretty excited here ! Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote